Installing a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sailorman3

Sep 15, 2016
Newfoundland
I'm installing a Englander Madison wood stove and have a couple questions about the chimney installation. It calls for a 6" chimney which is no problem. In order to install it where I want I have to have a thru wall installation. It will be a 90 at the top of the stove and a 30 before it goes thru the wall. These will be double wall. It will then go thru the wall into the prefab. It will then have a 30 degree offset to get away from a window before it goes up 20 feet. My question is will this be to many turns to get a good draft. This time of year I always have wind so I'm hoping for a decent draft.

That does seem like a lot of turns before you even get outside. Best case scenario is always going straight up. If you can't then make as few turns as possible. Perhaps some more information about the install would help us advise you. Where is the stove located? Main level on a 2 story house or basement? Is it possible to move the stove location so you don't need to have the additional 30* offsets?

It's on the main floor. I can't go straight up and the stove is in the only place it can go. I have to have one ninety because the stove has to go thru the wall. The offset was to get past a wall stud. That's the only turns inside. Then I hit my tee which is another 90. And then the 30 degree offset outside to get past the window. It looks like I'm screwed if this doesn't work because I have a 20% restocking charge which is $600 bucks and the $250 for the hearth. I guess it's a live and learn situation.

To be honest half of it depends on how the stove breathes. Some stoves can tolerate multiple bends in a chimney system just fine. I don't know much about the Madison in that regard. But with 20ft of Class A I would guess that is a long enough chimney to have sufficient draft with those offsets and elbows. I'm sure others will weigh in who are more knowledgeable that I am.

I'm a visual thinker. Can you post a picture of the install location or a sketch showing the proposed stove pipe and chimney paths including obstacles you are trying to avoid?

Will there be a vertical section of stove pipe before the 90º turn?

I think you'll be OK. I have two feet of double wall going up from the stove then a 90 into a through the wall tee and then another 90 on the 6 inch chimney going vertical. There is 18 feet of chimney and it drafts perfectly.

Personally I would cut the stud and head it off rather than offset around it. If you did that it would be a pretty "normal" install.

Status
Not open for further replies.