Insulating around chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lburg

Jul 20, 2009
Central KY
I have a prefab fireplace with a double wall insulated chimney. I installed a Regency insert in prefab fireplace and a 6" stainless steel liner inside double wall chimney. I would like to insulate around the chimney in the attic area. Insulation will touch the chimney. Is this ok? Is there special insulation I need? I have touched the chimney with a hot fire going in the insert and it is not even warm. Thanks for your help.

Lburg said:
I have a prefab fireplace with a double wall insulated chimney. I installed a Regency insert in prefab fireplace and a 6" stainless steel liner inside double wall chimney. I would like to insulate around the chimney in the attic area. Insulation will touch the chimney. Is this ok? Is there special insulation I need? I have touched the chimney with a hot fire going in the insert and it is not even warm. Thanks for your help.

My understanding is that insulation is not allowed to touch the chimney directly even if the chimney does not get warm or is not even used for solid fuel appliances.

I've seen suggestions for using sheet metal flashing and high temp sealant to air seal around a chimney.

There is insulation that would work: Rock wool or Roxul or any ceramic insulation. There's also spray foam rated to seal around chimneys. You don' t want anything combustible within a foot of the chimney so you can either cover that area with one of the above, just stop the rolled insulation short of the chimney or (if using blown-in insulation) box it off with drywall, plywood, rigid foam... a foot back.

Can you see any labeling on the pipe in the attic. It might be embossed into the pipe. If you can, take a picture or tell us what the label says for its UL or HT rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.