Is it a double-wall flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
One thing I DIDN'T notice (if you can imagine that!) is whether or not the double-wall flue pipe that was installed with my wood stove last year, continues as "double wall" pipe all the way to the outside cap? Anyone know what the customary "professional" install is? Double wall all the way up, or just to the top of my living room, before the attic and outer pipe?

-Soupy1957

The installer had put a fairly broad-based Baffle on the roof, so I figured perhaps it might have been double-wall, all the way up.

That being the case, ........when we're monitoring the temp of the flue gases in a double-wall set up, I wonder if there has to be some special consideration for the single wall piping going up thru the attic, and outside? In other words, the first pipe sections to fail or burn thru, would be the single-wall stuff, eh? So any "failure" over time, would most likely occur in the single wall sections, yes?

-Soupy1957

I would say the typical install is connector pipe (whether single or double wall) to the ceiling support box where the connector pipe marries double wall Class A UL 103 HT pipe.

The piping in the attic is Silver, and of course, so is the piping to the cap. Based on that, it would confirm that it is single-wall piping from the LR Ceiling, to the Cap outside.

-Soupy1957

I have never heard of single wall Class A. Now, I'm not saying they don't make it, but all I have ever seen is double wall or triple wall. I cannot imagine achieving the 2" CTC using anything but double wall at the very least.

soupy1957 said:
The piping in the attic is Silver, and of course, so is the piping to the cap. Based on that, it would confirm that it is single-wall piping from the LR Ceiling, to the Cap outside.

-Soupy1957
Why do you think it is single wall?

OldSpark: because of what BLIMP said........

Doesn't make it "so" but.........

If it DON'T "meet Code," then the Installation Inspector from the professional outfit that installed it, and the Town Inspector have something to answer for!! They both approved the installation.

-Soupy1957

Like what pagey said, no single wall class a, blimp did not say it was single wall (i dont think)

Naw, BLIMP said that the more "silver" looking piping is single wall. Isn't "Class A" a single wall product? My pipes in the LR are black, but the rest are silver.

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
Naw, BLIMP said that the more "silver" looking piping is single wall. My pipes in the LR are black, but the rest are silver.

-Soupy1957
read be4 u type, penius, class a is 2wall with insulation in between, duh

Oh.........didn't know that "Class A" was NOT single wall.........guess I misinterpreted his posting.........sorry.

-Soupy1957

I would 99.99% guarandamntee you that you have double wall Class A, Soupy. Nothing to worry about. I think people get confused by connector/stove pipe being able to be single wall OR double wall. But, by default, Class A would have to be double wall at a minimum.

I just called the guys who installed our stove......they say that it has Class A Pipe above the LR, and out to the cap. He defined it this way:

Class A: Is "Galvalume" (must be a brand name, or Patent name) or S.S. outside, depending on which one we bought (and I don't recall which), and then 1" of insulation inside that, (I asked him what TYPE of "Insulation" and he couldn't tell me), and then inside THAT, there is ANOTHER layer of Stainless Steel piping.

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.