jotul 400 venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted69

Aug 21, 2007
Ok I lucked out and my installer came back today. He did not like the setup that his boss said was ok.
here is the problem
1. vented from the back
2. setup is in a corner (another 90)
3. then out the wall and up (90)

He does not think I will get a good draft..wants to go out the top then out of the house.

What do you guys think?

Hi, I just installed my new F 500 on Tuesday. My stove sits kitty corner. My exhaust pipe runs out the top for 12" and 90*s to 12" horizontal pipe with a 1/4" per ft. rise, it then 45*s through a brick wall to 4' of horizontal pipe with a 1" rise per ft. where it enters a 8 x 12 flue. This is the same set up I had with my 26 year old steel stove and it seem to work okay with the new stove although it shouldn't according to everything I've been reading. This new stove is somewhat more fussy about draft than the old one. I plan to put in a ss rigid liner in the next few weeks and when I do I will move the thimble into the chimney up 2' from where it is now so the 4' run will now be about 30 degrees. This should help the draft quite a bit.

Jim

Ted, your installer is correct. This was the way I was going to do our corner install, but the F400 is draft sensitive and really wants a good draw. So instead I have rear exit and then straight up all the way through the roof. However, until I got the transition and elbow on the back of the stove heading uphill ( the installer had it drooping slightly downhill), I was getting weak draft combustion and some smoke when opening the door. The ideal install for a Castine is straight up from stove to chimney cap.

To find some shots of our install, do an advanced search for Castine, by Begreen in the Perfect Pictures forum.

Thanks for your input......will send some pictures when the install is finished on monday.
Ted

Good to hear that the installer is trying to get you going soon. What was the final decision?

Well. The stove is in. I trusted the installer and his opinions and went up and out with the vent.
I believe I have completed the breakin operiod. We recieved a few inches of snow last night and below freezing this weekend. This should be the perfect weekend of burning. oh ya kids and wife are away also...time to sit and watch. Here are a few pictures of the new stove.
Thanks for all your help.
Ted

Attachments

• IMGP0054.JPG
    IMGP0054.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 272
  • IMGP0056.JPG
    IMGP0056.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 240
  • IMGP0057.JPG
    IMGP0057.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 254
Hey, nice job. I hope you will enjoy it as well as I have been enjoying mine. Who is that camped out in front of all the heat?

Jim

What a lovely stove :), way to go. Somebody looks very happy that the stove is there. Did you put a level on the horizontal section to be sure it is pitched upward towards the chimney? How's she drafting?

Status
Not open for further replies.