Leveling a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2007
Southeast CT
Brother Bart's post in another topic got me thinking about this.
How or rather what do you guys use to level out a stove? Mine does not have adjustable legs (Oslo) so I can't just turn them in or out. I have thought about setting something under one of the legs, as mine is just a tad off (barely noticable tip if you push on one corner when cold). What is the thinnest "shim" that you have used?
thanks in advance,
chad

I made the hearth flat and level from the start but a tile with a low spot threw off the back leg. My wood stove was rocking, one leg off the hearth during installation. Tumbled stone tile with a very uneven surface was the problem. I got out a level to see which leg to shim. The stove was level front to back and right to left with a 4 inch long by 2 inch wide 1/8 inch thick flat SS shim under the back left leg. I just jacked up the stove and slid the shim under the leg and lowered it down on the shim. It did take a couple of tries to get it looking good. You could use any thickness shim stock. Machinests have shim stock down to thousands of an inch.

Our previous stove installation location was in the kitchen entryway. While the old 602 seemed to be able to take almost anything, the 3CB was finely tuned and did not want to be out of level. The floor sloped pretty steeply as it extended right out and continued as the patio. To compound the problem it was a corner install so the stove sat diagonal to the slope. I had to use a 5/8" shim on the back left leg and about a 1/4" on on the front left. And a wee skinny one on the back right leg. But she sat firm and level and was happier for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.