LG vs CleanFire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
Pelletsales.com has 2 options for my area. LG pellets at $279/ton or the CleanFire for $285/ton. What do you recommend? I haven't burned either type. I have a St. Croix Hastings pellet stove if that matters. Thanks.

ylomnstr said:
Pelletsales.com has 2 options for my area. LG pellets at $279/ton or the CleanFire for $285/ton. What do you recommend? I haven't burned either type. I have a St. Croix Hastings pellet stove if that matters. Thanks.
I havent burned the cleanfires but IMO the LG pellet is very good.

ylomnstr said:
.... LG pellets at $279/ton or the CleanFire for $285/ton. What do you recommend? ......

No experience w/ LG, but seem to have pretty good reviews. The CleanFire is what I got from PelletSales this spring because they are actually NEWP hardwood pellets that are re-bagged for PelletSales. I burned 3 tons of NEWP last winter....good pellet, no issues. For $6, I'd go with the CleanFire.

I've burned both. Don't know about yours, but my St Croix
burns everything I've thrown at it nicely, even the Crapling County pellets.
While they both burn good in my stove, I prefer the Cleanfire
over the LG. The Cleanfire had less dust/fines in the bag, and they
seemed to make more heat.

missrobo said:
Sorry Macman, I meant ClearFire

The woman that I talked to at PelletSales told me, plus someone on this forum confirmed it a few months back. I also opened a bag when they were delivered, and they look/burn just like NEWP......at least in my stove.

I bought 6 tons of CleanFires last season and had nothing but problems. Mind you they do get good reports and I am an isolated case, but I would never buy them again. The lot I received were compressed too much, and as a result I went through THREE solid steel Lovejoy couplings on my cup motor, not to mention COUNTLESS times the motor stopped, but the coupling survived. In fact my dealer traded me about 3/4 of a ton of his LG's for me to mix in (which worked for the most part), and HE broke a coupling using the traded CleanFires I gave him. Of course PelletSales takes no ownership over anything, but fortunately Pinnacle and my dealer took a pellet breaking their machinery personally and have stood behind everything. I now have a star shaped coupling that is EXTREMELY beefy, and they had redesigned the motor mount and had a motor manufactured to work with it (new motor and motor mount should be installed in the next couple of weeks ~ still have 3/4 ton of the CleanFires to test those out with).

As far as CleanFires being NEWP...........at least last year they came from two sources: NEWP and a plant in Tenn. However, NEWP does not or at least didn't produce all the pellets they sell, but rather bought rail car loads and bagged them at their facility. The one positive I can say about them is that they have very few fines compared to the LG's. However, if I HAD to buy between the two, I would put up with the LG's fines and burn them instead, especially if you have a horizontal auger. LG's are a softwood pellet, which seems pellet to me then the hardwood pellets being produced (though I hear there is a CleanFire softwood pellet as well as the hardwood pellet out there too).

Status
Not open for further replies.