1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Like my 2 Englanders but...

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by alltherage, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    Heat exchanger outlet temperature is also dependent on inlet temperature. Just how cold is the starting room temperature.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    The temperature of the air entering the heat exchanger from the room will affect the output temp. The air on the floor in your basement is probably lots cooler than the air on your friend's living room floor. Just one more factor.
  3. alltherage

alltherage Member

Loc:
    chautauqua County, NY
    after 10 minutes on 9-9, the pdvc is at 180F and the cpm is at 146F. I'm going to retest in 30 min or so
  4. alltherage

alltherage Member

Loc:
    chautauqua County, NY
    btw, i should probably use the summers heat model numbers huh lol...can never remember them! Englander models are easier
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Yes. Better exchange = Same heat, with less pellets
  6. alltherage

alltherage Member

Loc:
    chautauqua County, NY
    the wife almost killed me...using her food thermometer like that! she's a chef and very protective!
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    So instead of incessant talk about what pellets burn hotter the conversation should be what pellet stove squeezes the most heat out of any pellet ya dump in it. A pretty standard conversation in the cord wood burning side of this barn.
    hilbiliarkiboi and heat seeker like this.
  8. alltherage

alltherage Member

Loc:
    chautauqua County, NY
    right now, the cmp is at 173 and the pdvc is at 210. I'm taking the measurements 1" in front of the grate where the hottest air is coming out.
  9. alltherage

alltherage Member

Loc:
    chautauqua County, NY
    final temps of the night...cpm at 185 and pdvc at 220
  10. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Those temps are at what settings??? 5-5, 7-7, 9-9?? Just wondering
  11. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    allthereage....this just isn't true. If what you are comparing is the heat from the Englander to a stove that shoots 400 degre air, you will never be satisfied. But believe me, this Harman that could put out 400 degree air would be lethal.
  12. nhredbird

nhredbird Member

Loc:
    Southern, NH
    You would need to compair the size of the fans (cfm) as well.
    Englander puts a large fan on the CPM.
  13. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    You firewood guys are just way smarter, more sophisticated and better looking than us pellet guys will ever be- bottom line. Just wait until Inferno sells cord wood, then you WILL have the same "incessant talk " that we do here. :)
    heat seeker, jtakeman and slvrblkk like this.
  14. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Likely another mag thermometer on the front that is really reading the surface temp not the air temp.

Edit: Disregard. :(
  15. alltherage

alltherage Member

Loc:
    chautauqua County, NY
    i took my temps on 9-9. The harman dealer had a laser that he shot at the grate in front, so it's most likely the temp of the metal. Like I've said, the perceived temperature was simply awesome .
  16. TLHinCanada

TLHinCanada Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Canada
    In order for the comparison to objective, the stoves (what ever type were being compared) would have to be run in the same room at different times. The ambient tempeture would have to be constant. The cfm of the convection fans and the feed rate would have to matched. After doing all this work, the difference in priceing would have to be considered (big box stores dumping their inventory). I have seen alot of threads were harmon owners are not happy with their current level of help from the company. Alot of threads for the Englanders getting help over the phone right away. But the thread that explained it best was, you can buy an expensive sports car, or a chev, they both due the same thing. Get you from point A to B, or in our case heat the house.
  17. Pellet-King

Pellet-King Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Ya get what ya pay for!!, i know there's alot of happy englander owners but there ugly and get no repect from me, a cheap looking box store stove all it is....
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Well, That would work if the conversation was about looking for a new or replacement stove. But when the stove is already installed and its all ya got to work with. We try to steer em to a better pellet if the current pellet isn't cutting it(get the most outa what ya got per say). Lots easier to scoop out the hopper and refill than it is to tear the stove out. Not to mention the cost involved.

We have chatted a bit about convection efficiency in the past. I know I have(bragged several times about the huge heat exchanger on the Omega/Maxx units) and there is a thread where the quad owners did some experimenting with springs in the convection tubes.

Besides we really really enjoy pellet chats(what else is there ta do when its cold outside). Stove chats get a lil brutal. :p
  19. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Your're right...I got a great, good looking stove at an awesome price with second to none customer service! ;)
  20. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Can't believe somebody didn't say "What the heck do you think all that chatter in The Wood Shed is?". ;lol
  21. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    A dull saw chain?
    hilbiliarkiboi likes this.
  22. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Ya know if you stuffed your wood eater full of black locus, You'd get a longer burn than the birch/maple/poplar chit. Might be able to get a few more degree's out of it too. Locus was my winter stash ya know! ;)
  23. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Does the 25 EP have tubes in the heat exchanger or the box type? I got a bud looking at for one.
  24. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    It's got tubes Jay.....If he is serious about buying one, he definitely should check out AM/FM.......
  25. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Thanks, I couldn't tell from the manual. He wants to see one first. He's gotta do that touchy feely thing. I think once he does, The AM/FM deal will reel him in. Well go looking to find onenow that I know its a tube type.

He did like the looks of the 25 IP, But I don't like the box heat exchanger. Another bud has one and we had to do some modding to help scavenge heat out of it. ;em