1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Like my 2 Englanders but...

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by alltherage, Dec 7, 2012.

1. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Thanks bear! :cool:

My turn for a slow internet sevice day. ;em

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Actually Harvey it does for a few stoves. But that is another matter. If you want anything else I'm afraid you are going to have to get yourself a pile of gear and run your own tests. Because the only other information is going to come from the stove makers.
  4. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Do any of you pellet fellows do any flue temp measuring?

Seems to me that if the fuel is being burned, there are only two places for the heat to go - into the living space, or out the flue pipe. Flue temps should help the analyzing?
  5. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I have measured the temp of the adapter between the stove and pipe. I generally get around 250 deg. F.
  6. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    My flue temp measured with a contact pyrometer, not a highly inaccurate IR detector, at the exit of the combustion blower is 140, IIRC. The temperature is only ONE factor in looking at the efficiency. You MUST take into account the air flow rate. Is that 100 CFM of 140 degree air or 200 CFM, for instance? Very, very complicated and no one here is set up to accurately measure efficiency. Heck, even the Feds aren't, obviously.
    DexterDay likes this.
  7. DRINKSFORALL

DRINKSFORALL Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ma.
    I have very similar stove (Timber ridge insert) and I just tried the Green supremes and the stove runs very well. Very large flame when set on just 4 (auger speed) and 6 (blower speed). Was able to get a large great room (18 ft ceiling) to 75 from 65 in about 2 hours no problem!
  8. tjnamtiw

Loc:
    North Georgia
    My internet was super slow yesterday. I couldn't even watch a movie without it 'buffering' all the time. I pulled the plug on the modem/router and plugged it back up and away it went back at full speed. It's worth a try!
  9. tjnamtiw

Loc:
    North Georgia
    More heat in (pellets) equals more heat out, hence the 'very large flame'. Does Englander specify the correct flame height for a particular auger speed? Flame height/lbs per hour depends on the pellet size at any set auger speed so there should be some kind of adjustment to prevent over firing.
  10. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    On the PDVC there is a choke plate to limit the amount fed to the upper auger. It can only be adjusted when the hopper is empty. There is also a low fuel feed adjustment (one of the three magic buttons) that can be used to trim the fuel feed at low settings.
  11. SteveB

SteveB Member

Loc:
    South Central PA.
    C mode will give you more heat than D.
    Shaw520 likes this.
  12. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Not all pdvc's have a fuel gate. just sayn.
  13. jdempsey

jdempsey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    kentucky
    Ok guys you got me thinking, so i did some modifications. I use a jigsaw to cut a slot in the top of metal piece.The heat exchanger resides just beneath. I then filled this area with several computer cpu heat sinks. Laying them on the heat exchanger.

I then cut a 1\4 inch piece of steel and sealed this hole back up. Its 34 degrees currently outside and the wife likes it 73 upstairs. Usually i have to run the feed rate on 4 to keep it that temp its now running on 3. This definitely has gave me more heat with less pellets. Although my temp probe has vanished im not for sure the exact amount. Ill do some checking once its located. DSC00452.JPG DSC00448.JPG
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  14. smoke show

smoke show Guest

you do realize someones gonna yell at you for doing that.

It won't be me. good job!
    The Ds and jtakeman like this.
  15. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Me neither! Just close up the hole and who'd even know? ==c

Dang my idea's do work holly crap even. See what happens when ya have just onze too manzy!
    The Ds likes this.
  16. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Good ash traps!
  17. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Ash won't even touch em. They are just pulling heat off the top of the heat exchanger.
  18. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

;) Thats gotta work pretty good. The ones on top are just added radiant bonus!
  19. jdempsey

Loc:
    kentucky
    Actually those on top are the ones i laid on the heat exchanger. Took a pic before i put them in the slot so you could see how many.

I have my setup running really well now. I bought a VARIAC to drop the voltage on my 3 inline fans that i have attached to the front of my stove. Alot of experimenting. Its a job heating the upper level from a basement. I have now finally managed to do so.

The optimal and best heat comes from running the stove on lower heat setting (warmer convection air) and having the VARIAC set at 60 volts. Just pushing the air along not all that fast seems to work nicely. And now the heatsinks have even made the setup that more efficient.

Now if i can just convince the wife it dont need to be 73 in here. I prefer 70 myself.
  20. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Try some of that thermal compound that is used to join the heat sinks to them thar 'puter type devices.

Speaking of which would a nice 4.2 GHz 8 core amd unit make a speedy home system?
  21. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    ...Aside from warping the lid,... that'll proly work awesome!
  22. jdempsey

Loc:
    kentucky
    Yeah, i thought about using thermal compound. I use alot of in my line of work. That stuff is so messy. I figured it was not worth the headache.

8 cores. Wow. Smokey are you a 3d gamer? Should blow thru anything you throw at it. I like AMD Cpu's.
    SteveB likes this.
  23. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Nope not a gamer at all let alone a 3D one, looking for something to make Kernel compilations and such faster. It seems to have grown past the point that my old system can finish in a reasonable amount of time so I haven't been playing as much lately.

People never heard of keeping things simple, I guess.

But this is a digression from the topic at hand namely milking a stove for all the heat you can get out of it.
  24. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Err, don't count on that, stuff coming in with the air flow will deposit all kinds of crud in those fins, I have to remove such crud regularly from my 'puter's heat sinks or risk a thermal shutdown..
  25. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    .... and I thought that's why we are all here ?