Lopi Yankee Bay insert burning too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben B

Nov 9, 2016
NH
I have had a Lopi Yankee Bay pellet insert for several years now, and this year it seems to only blow extremely hot air regardless of setting. Is there a thermocouple that may be stuck? The insert is burning like its on MAX all the time, burning through pellets (excuse the pun).
Thanks!
Ben

Changed brand of pellets? Board not responding to change of heat level? Has it been plugged into a surge protector?

Thanks for your interest and response Lake Girl. I've been using the same brand of pellets for years. It could be the board not responding, not sure if it can be tested? It is plugged directly into a dedicated circuit which is not surge protected. This is unchanged since the stove was new so I don't believe it to be the receptacle. The hood over the pellets gets so hot I can barely open it. Something is not right, and although I love the heat it throws, I fear that it could be a safety issue.

Is the stove on a thermostat? Checked to make sure connections are in place and thermostat is functioning as it should? It sounds like it is stuck in high start-up burn so if thermostat has malfunctioned or no longer connected then the board is not getting the temperature readings it should. That would be my starting point for troubleshooting because it is a cheaper fix ... We"ve heard about damaged/disconnected wire from moving, cleaning and puppy teeth;)

Any power interruptions or variances of current could easily have damaged your board as well ... hence a surge protector between the outlet and stove to minimize those effects. There are board repair services available which require board removal and shipping. If it is not the thermostat, you could buy a new board and send the old one out for repair so you have a back up... just make sure you get surge protection on it!

It is wired to a thermostat, however I have been running it on its manual setting this Fall, which I do every Spring and Fall as heat is needed, so I can rule out the thermostat. I'm leaning toward the board needing repair. I'll look into that and a replacement board as you suggest. I'll also invest a few bucks into that surge protector, it sounds worth while!
Thanks for your input!
Ben

Have you removed the power for a few minutes to reset the board?

Great idea, I will try that tomorrow morning and report the results. Its cold up here in New Hampshire, so I'm going to leave it burning for now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.