Lurker turned member - New stove Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At 1200 degrees on the probe I can hold my hand on the dvl and not hurt my hand but its hot. Stove top is 450. Just running as normal before engaging the damper its at 1325 on the probe. I'm confused and worried. Wife has burned wood all her life and thinks I'm crazy for being worried...

Stove too cold and flue too hot. Try to close the air more to get the stove top between 600 and 700 F and the flue down. I don't think you want to have the flue above 900 F especially for a prolonged period.

After a while burning stove is at 5-600 probe reads 1200

Seems like with any flame going at all it hovers around 1200-1300 with the probe. This doesn't seem right to me. Right now stove is at 500 flue probe is at 1170
6c2b0cbf0d9eb61d19ab16203e62915c.jpg

14151082f8c9f96c424620b0fafde888.jpg

Last edited:
Is the bypass closed?

Bow do I feel like an idiot. I did some more research. The unit instructions said it would have the correct setting for the probe that came with the kit...nope. Switched the setting on the unit and presto. Dropped down to 450. Added a few pieces of wood, bypass open air open temps at 590. Will drop to acceptable range when I close her down. Phew!

Reactions: Grisu
You guys are amazing on this site. Thanks Grisu for just the conversation helped me figure this out. I will help pass along the knowledge I've learned so far. In the manual for the pyrometer it doesn't tell you what the symbols mean. I looked at a manual for a similar unit to figure out the symbol for the probe type "K". I feel so much better knowing it wasn't really hitting 1300degrees. In the back of my mind I knew it couldn't be that hot. Now the wife can stop looking at me with her " calm the hell down its fine" look lol.

ICC flashing. They butchered the silicone on it. Need to fix a few spots and drill out some holes on the bottom side for water to escape. Went into the attic no leaks but would be good for the water to have a place to go if/when it condenses in the winter time.

a07f58b0e7723acc73ab6cff0bf9b643.jpg

3c755f02c41a79851668f8be7f09c438.jpg

Good that you found the right setting. The flue temp should not be over 900F. If it is something is not being done right. The likely cause is that the air is not being shut down soon enough. The stove will actually get hotter and run much longer by incrementally closing down the air to as low as possible without snuffing out and smoldering the fire.

Reactions: JStone
Started another fire this morning. 36F outside 65F inside. Its been about an hour or so. Stack temp hovering about 5-550. Going to take some getting used to. Its now 71F in the stove room w/blower engaged.
d2ba4252a97de09165198d482fe03898.jpg

ced733210b997ab0260b0a95ce5c2ea0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.