MOVING STOVE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGMOE44

Hearth Supporter
Apr 11, 2010
Western NC
I RECIVED MY NEW SOAP STONE STOVE IT IS OVER 500 LB. I NEED TO GET IT IN THE HOUSE, AND UP ON THE HEARTH IAM BUILDING. IT IS ABOUT 6IN HIGH. HELP!!!

Attachments

• woodstocksoap23.jpg
    woodstocksoap23.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 412
If it's still in the crate rent an appliance dolly and build a ramp up your hearth then dismantle the crate and you should be able to slide it around into place. Also put some rags or cardboard under the legs when sliding in place to avoid scratching the hearth.

If it's already out of the crate you can use some 2x4's under the top lip as handles and have 2 or 4 people lift it up onto the hearth.

Most pallet jacks lift almost exactly six inches.

Beautiful stove good luck moving it. Whenever I'm stuck I call my Uncle Wayne...he's always got a plan.

Are the firebricks inside? If so, you can remove them and reduce some of that weight. I moved a Napolean 1150p with a regular dolly and the help of one friend - it's around 400 without the firebrick. Be careful and wear steel-toed boots!

Two HD nylon load straps adjusted for the right height can be slipped underneath the bottom and two 2x4s slid into the top loops. Mark exactly where you want the feet to sit on the hearth. Then, with two guys (hopefully near the same height, just step inside between the 2x4s, rest them on your shoulders and strand up. All legs, no back. The stove should be just inches above the ground. If not, put her down and readjust the strap lengths. Now you can position and re-position it on the hearth to a high degree of accuracy without destroying your backs or scratching the hearth. I don't know about carrying it very far that way, depends on how fit you both are. Take a few steps and rest if you have to. If you have four guys, you can walk to town with it this way. If stairs are attempted this way, you'll need to put a slight notch in the 2x4s to keep the straps from sliding. Go slow and take one stair at a time.

I don't know about using 2x4s under the lip, seems very risky. Not sure that's good for the stove cement, etc., but I may be wrong. If you do it that way, I'd bind them tight across the stove so they can't possibly slip off if one of you move the wrong way (which you will).

If it is out of its crate, you can still use an appliance dolly. Just use 2-3 ratchet straps around the stove and dolly and you can use it fairly easily.

Welcome to the forum BIGMOE44. That is a beautiful stove!

I use a furniture dolly. You can pick them up at Harbor Freight for around $12 or Northern Tool has the same ones. If you need a link I can look it up.

I unloaded our Fireview off the trailer by myself and put it right on the dolly. Then put two 2 x10 planks to get it up onto the porch and into the house. We did not uncrate until we had it right by the hearth. Then I removed the top lid (it just lifts off and is very heavy). We also removed the firebox door and the firebrick. Then we used used either 2 x 4 or 4 x 4 (don't remember right now) under the stove and a couple gorillas (neighbors) lifted it up onto the hearth. Our hearth is 16" high. Then it is a simple matter of putting the lid and door back on plus the firebrick.

You have a wonderful stove there and it will serve you for many years. Just be sure to use good fuel....that means dry wood. Also do 3 good burn-ins with the stove. For the first, I just put in some kindling and lit it, let it burn and go out. The second I used more kindling plus 2 small splits. The third was kindling and 3 splits. After that, the stove was ready to do its thing.

Now that you are on the forum I hope you'll stick around and share some of your wisdom and hopefully add to it from all the other fine people here.

Nice stove.
Fridge dolly and a few friends. Leave it on the pallet until you have right next to the hearth.

BIGMOE44 said:
I RECIVED MY NEW SOAP STONE STOVE IT IS OVER 500 LB. I NEED TO GET IT IN THE HOUSE, AND UP ON THE HEARTH IAM BUILDING. IT IS ABOUT 6IN HIGH. HELP!!!

Carefully reach in and remove the cold liqud filled cylindrical container and discharge the pressurized gas by releasing the seal. Then.....

enjoy your beer while you dial the phone and call the people that lift heavy s%*t for a living. I wish I had done that more often in my life. My back reminds me of that fact every day.

Gorgeous stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.