My Pellet Tests - Barefoot, Okanagan and Turman's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
johnnycomelately said:
DonD said:
Next results - Barefoot/Okie/Turman's comparison with the new Barefoot data.

Both hardwoods were virtually identical (just over 1 deg average difference), and this I didn't expect, both were a pretty good margin hotter (15 - 16 deg average) than the Okies.

Looks like next year I'll be one of those northeast hardwood heads or whatever it was Jay called them (us). I'm gonna burn Okies for the next couple weeks and then I'll see if I get any better results.
All ribbing aside, you and I have a bit in common. You and I seem to like the good sh*t. I don't see as big of a big difference between the three as you do, and will continue to buy all three (as long as one doesn't become so outrageously expensive compared to the other two). I like to mix it up, and as the old saying goes...."When in Rome, dont put all your eggs in is better than two in a bush ".

Yeah, good point. I probably should go up to BT and get some Cubex which I expect will be pretty similar to the other hardwoods and get which ever of the Barefoot, Turman's or Cubex I can get 4 ton of the cheapest. Certainly won't pay a premium for Barefoot like I did this year.

And yeah, I always go for the good sh*t.

Couple of others you might want to try while your at BT besides the Cubex. MWP Super Premium Softwood and Spruce Pointes. A couple of sleepers might be Potomics and Logik-e!

Couple more you might want to try at CTpellet as well! Platinum Fire and Geneva.

Both will have Hamers as well.

But what do I know about pellet??? ;-)

Nice job with your testing Don, and thanks for sharing! Would hope to try those Turman's at some point but the Barefoots run the best of all that I have used in my Castilles. Barefoots not available to me this year, but I squirreled away a ton from a previous year and will crack into those in Jan-Feb. Probably will be dumping the shoulder pellets soon (Fireside Ultras) and cracking open the Somersets (highly recommended, scored 2.5 tons last February at Lowe's in Killingly, cheap!) :)

When you see Jonnycomelately, tell him to disconnect the hose from his pellet stove and plug it back into his CPAP, where it belongs.... :)

j-takeman said:
Couple of others you might want to try while your at BT besides the Cubex. MWP Super Premium Softwood and Spruce Pointes. A couple of sleepers might be Potomics and Logik-e!

Couple more you might want to try at CTpellet as well! Platinum Fire and Geneva.

Methinks you might know a thing or two about pellets. :coolsmile:

I called BT but they won't break up a ton of any super premium pellets (Cubex/Hamer) because of the 'shortage', she said. So much for my plan. I can carry home 1/2 a ton if anyone is interested in meeting up there and splitting a ton of Cubex. I'd love to give them a try.

DonD said:
j-takeman said:

I called BT but they won't break up a ton of any super premium pellets (Cubex/Hamer) because of the 'shortage', she said. So much for my plan. I can carry home 1/2 a ton if anyone is interested in meeting up there and splitting a ton of Cubex. I'd love to give them a try.

This has made pellet testing fun this season! Maybe trade a couple of bags with another member to get a try of them before you go head over heals into a 1/2 ton? geek and I do it at times. He finds stuff I can't find and so on. I haven't had time to run to BT, So thanks for the heads up on that. I do need to get over there someday. When I do I'll let you know what they got on the open pallet/bag sales.

Thanks for that. I'm not to worried about a half ton. After all I have to be a good little piggy. I bought my first 3.3 ton untried and sight unseen. That's one of the reasons, like JohnnyC, I like the good sh*t.

oldmountvernon said:
DonD said:
Thanks for that. I'm not to worried about a half ton. After all I have to be a good little piggy. I bought my first 3.3 ton untried and sight unseen. That's one of the reasons, like JohnnyC, I like the good sh*t.

buying 3 of the top choices untried isnt very scary ;)

That's what I mean - Cubex is right up there so I'm not too worried getting a bunch untried. :)

DonD said:
j-takeman said:

I work in Bristol and would be interested in splitting a ton of Cubex. Let me know here, or send me a PM.

djs_net said:
DonD said:
j-takeman said:

I work in Bristol and would be interested in splitting a ton of Cubex. Let me know here, or send me a PM.

Sounds like a plan. I'll PM you and we can make arrangements. I'm hoping the Cubex quality issues discussed in the other thread are behind us.

Yay! Looking forward to the results!

Status
Not open for further replies.