Need advice on wood stove for shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsutter01

Jan 6, 2015
Northern Indiana
I have a new shop 24X34 (816 ft2). It has 8 ft ceilings. I am looking at an older stove - Fisher , Timberline, or Old Timer (I really like the appearance of these) (or similar old welded steel stoves). I formerly had a Vermont Casting Sequoia Cat Stove. It was ok but I was tired of replacing the cat and refractor every few years. I am looking for a decent burn time - 10 hours or better. I am searching stoves for sale and there are many in the area - Fisher, Old Timer, Nashua, Lopi, All Nighter, Kalamazoo, Rebel, Harman etc.

I prefer on non cat stove due to ease of use and maintenance. I realize that the new cat stoves are better ( from what I hear from a local dealer with cat life in a stove etc.)

The shop size is not big enough to merit a large cat stove in my opinion. If I could find a decent older stove I think that will be fine. I just want a decent burn time.

Any thoughts on the above mentioned stoves? Is there a good cat stove out there for a shop?

Feedback appreciated.

Welcome. I'd get a modern stove and be happy with cleaner heat and less wood consumed. Look at the Englander 30NC and Drolet HT2000. Both will heat up a reasonably sealed and insulated shop quickly.

Bigger the better IMO.

I replaced a small NC13 with a PE 27 and its night vs day.

I find I need allot of heat quickly to warm the shop fast. Depends on your shop usage and average temps.

+1 on begreen's recommendation.

Thanks for the feedback. I looked up the Englander 30NC and Drolet HT2000. The Englander is available at Home Depot and the Drolet at Rural King. I never really payed too much attention to wood stoves at these stores? Are these better than a used Lopi Republic 1250, Harman Oakwood?

I see your point on the newer stove efficiency vs. the old 70's / 80's stove efficiency. I would still like to have an old Fisher in the shop but realize these will probably consume more wood and provide less heating time vs the new stove models. Any other models you would recommend (looking to see if there are any for sale).

BTW, I have an old pot belly stove (antique) that I want to post up to see what it is. I have the name just not familiar with it. I will get a pic tonight and post up to see what it is.

Been reading on here for awhile now on all the stoves out there. Still have not purchased anything but leaning towards the Englander 30-NC. I will probably wait until Home Depot has a sale as described in previous posts. Also, found a used Enerzone 3.4. I think these are made by the same company (SBI) who makes Drolet, etc. Are these good wood stoves as well compared to the Englander 30-NC? Been searching craigslist for any bargains of course - found a Harman Oakwood but the reviews on here were not that favorable.

One other thing, on the 30-NC, is there just a primary air lever and no bypass damper? Just one control? Would you need a flue damper or not?

Been reading on here for awhile now on all the stoves out there. Still have not purchased anything but leaning towards the Englander 30-NC. I will probably wait until Home Depot has a sale as described in previous posts. Also, found a used Enerzone 3.4. I think these are

One other thing, on the 30-NC, is there just a primary air lever and no bypass damper? Just one control? Would you need a flue damper or not?

Only the one air control, no bypass and no need for a flue damper unless your draft is too strong.

I use a Woodstock Soapstone Classic to heat my shop (about the same size as yours; well insulated but lots of glass). I keep my workroom minimally heated (40-50::F; still playing with the best setting) because I keep water in my iron and steamer and I don't like the machines (in oil baths) to get too cold. For my purposes the stove does it all easily and it's pretty (important in a workroom catering to interior design folk, but certainly not a concern to everyone).

It doesn't meet your criteria as far as non-cat. but with careful maintenance and a good, dry wood supply it could provide you with coals after 10 hrs.. And, the older models (201 and Classic) can be purchased economically on the used market. I clean the combustor whenever I remove the excess ashes; on average we replace combustors every 5 yrs./so.

The enerzone is a good stove. We heat with a 2.9, and would have gone with the 3.4 if it was available with legs.

Thanks for the feedback on the controls on the Englander 30-NC. I will look at the Enerzone a bit further as well. Below is a pic and it has 2 seasons of burning on it (asking $1,200).

00101_26D9u1P8OrH_600x450.jpg

On the Woodstock Classic, I am unsure if there are dealers near me who sell these? I have never seen any for sale, rather I see many Hearthstone stoves for sale. Also, the price is a bit steep for my needs in the shop. I would like to stay below 1K if at all possible.

Woodstock sells directly to the customer (woodstove.com) -- no dealers.

You may occasionally find used Woodstock stoves for sale . . . but folks who own 'em tend to hold on to 'em for a very, very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.