Need correct size stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wally2337

Oct 17, 2013
Hartsel CO
Hello all! I am looking to put in a gas stove in a manufactured home in order to provide the bulk of the heat for the house since the factory furnace is loud and annoying. I would be going wood except for the fact that this is a weekend home and I need the stove to work unattended. The house is 1269 Sq. ft. located in Colorado at around 9400 feet. It is an open floor plan with two bedrooms at one end and the master bedroom at the other. The kitchen and living room are in a great room open layout in the center. I have been to a couple of dealers and have narrowed my selections down to a Jotul Sebago or Quadra Fire Sapphire. The brochures (and dealers) state 1,500 sq ft of coverage but given the size elevation of the house are these stoves large enough? Also is there any significant advantage of one stove over the other?

I don't think either one of them is large enough to heat that ENTIRE area. Even if you have that place crab's a$$ tight & heavily insulated, you're gonna need just short of 40K BTU OUTPUT. That means your input needs to be in the 53K BTU range, & I don't think there's a gas unit on the market with that kind of OOMPH. What is the MINIMUM area you can heat, by closing off bedrooms & other rooms where there are no potential pipe freeze issues? The Sebago might heat 500 - 800 sf...

I don't think either one of them is large enough to heat that ENTIRE area. Even if you have that place crab's a$$ tight & heavily insulated, you're gonna need just short of 40K BTU OUTPUT. That means your input needs to be in the 53K BTU range, & I don't think there's a gas unit on the market with that kind of OOMPH. What is the MINIMUM area you can heat, by closing off bedrooms & other rooms where there are no potential pipe freeze issues? The Sebago might heat 500 - 800 sf...
If I shut the bedroom doors the open living area is right about 750sq ft. but that closes off the bathrooms and increases the freeze risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.