Need help narrowing down which wood burner to buy. Too many choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toddl

Oct 16, 2017
Toddl
Hello all. I am new to the forum and to wood burning. I am building a new house and I would like to install a wood burner. I would use it for weekend burning, in case of power outages and the occasional week off over the holidays. The house is 1900 square foot single story over a basement. It will be very well insulated. It is located in northern Indiana, so it does get very cold in the winter.

I would like a free standing wood stove that is as low maintenance, easy to use, and that will last a long time. I realize there will be some maintenance but I don't want to have to replace parts every 3-5 years. My budget is around 1800 to 2000 for just the stove. There are so many choices that it is driving me crazy looking. I am hope it someone can narrow down the field with 3-4 high quality choices. Being new to wood burning I don't want to end up with a cheap piece of junk.

Your budget for the stove would put you in Englander or Regency stove territory. I have neither, but both brands are well liked. Englanders and their sister brands can be found in Home Depot, Lowes and I think Menards.

Your budget for the stove would put you in Englander or Regency stove territory. I have neither, but both brands are well liked. Englanders and their sister brands can be found in Home Depot, Lowes and I think Menards.
I have some time to save as the house will not be done until march. I do not want to short change myself by getting an inferior wood stove but I also don't think I need the most expensive as well. Do you have suggestions as to a slightly more expensive wood stove that would fit my description in my previous post?
I have done some research and it seems that different manufacture rate their stove differently and it makes it difficult to compare so I am looking for advise from people that actually use the product rather then relying on miss leading information from the manufacturer. Thanks

If you absolutely don't want to replace parts then I guess catalytic stoves are out...

If you can stretch the budget a bit further, I'd recommend taking a look at Pacific Energy offerings. If the stove is in a larger room go with the bigger firebox size, if not get the midsize, but avoid the small firebox (too much work to keep it fed). It seems like Pacific Energy stoves are kinda the Toyota's of stoves, very reliable and good performance.
Pacific Energy Super (mid size firebox)
Pacific energy Summit (large firebox)

Quadrafire stoves were also on the top of my list and seem to be fairly highly regarded around here.
Quad Millennium 4300 (midsize firebox)

Also, watch out for how options add up if your trying to control price. Things like pedestals versus legs, door options, fans, and ash door options can really add up and can sometimes be added later if necessary. I'd rather get the stove model I want with less options than a fully loaded cheaper model. By the time you add you chimney and hearth and everything the difference between an entry level and a pretty decent stove isn't really that much (can be less than $1000). Cast Iron and fancy enamel seem to really jack the price up.

Personally though, these forums and the BK mafia around here convinced me to get a Blaze King. I don't know anyone with one, but I'm putting a lot of weight into what I've read here that the BK will be good for me. I'm looking forward to good temperature control at low fire rates, long burn times, and great efficiencies which should translate into less work hauling wood around. These benefits add up to making replacing the combustor every so often a worthwhile trade-off.

An efficient stove that overheats your house is no-longer efficient IMHO since the heat is being wasted, even if it is efficiently produced heat.

Last edited:
Only gripe I've heard with PE's is the baffle has a tendency to warp. However maybe that was an older generation issue, the new ones may very well have addressed this problem. Comparable to the PE would be the Osburn stoves. I like mine. Quality is very nice and it gets very hot and efficient.

One question which I don't think anyone has asked you. You said it will have an insulated basement, where is the stove going to be located? If in the basement, consider not doing that.

Jotul makes gorgeous stoves but with that you will pay a price. They perform very well to boot!

A friend of mine got a Regency last year and she loves it.

BK is a great stove. I would have bought one but the wife wouldnt let me sign the check, plus I don't have too much control on my wood supply. If you were going to do a one and done stove and could budget for it. My vote would be for the BK. You have great options to heat your space and it has really long burn times.

Jotul. I have a F500 cost $2,500. Great stove. Beautiful.
You are spending a quarter million on the house, don't go cheapo on the wood stove.

Reactions: cptoneleg
Couldnt you just tell the builder to include the stove you want and installation in the budget of the house. Then roll that into your mortgage (assuming you have one)?

I really like my Vermont castings Encore 2040. A lot of people seem to have issues with them, but the newer ones seem to be relatively problem free. they do have a replaceable cat, but it is super easy to replace without tools. It burns well, keeps my house warm, and Its pretty to look at.

Hello thanks for the responses. I dont think I want a wood burner with a cat. So be anf joules and VC are out. Thinking steel instead of cast. I like PE don't don't have a dealer close so looks like quadra fire or Osborn? The stove wood be on the first level. The basement is just for storage. Is a stove rated at 2300 sq max adequate for a 1900 square foot home? I have read to go bigger on some forums and some say go a little smaller because a modern stove will hat you out of the house.

Just read the other post. The house isn't a 1/4 mill. It will be around 190. Haha
I want to put the wood burner in after we move it and it has been inspected for Insurance purposes.
I really like the PE summit and the quad 4300. Looks like they cost around 2k then you add options. What are the advantages of each or are they similar? Is there any other brand in this category? Oh and I did find a PE dealer not to far away.

Jotul stoves are non-cat now. They only had a few cat models in the past, but none now.

Does the 1900 sq ft include the basement sq ftg? Will the stove be in the basement or on the first floor?

What brands stoves are sold in your area?

Hello all. I am new to the forum and to wood burning. I am building a new house and I would like to install a wood burner. I would use it for weekend burning, in case of power outages and the occasional week off over the holidays. The house is 1900 square foot single story over a basement. It will be very well insulated. It is located in northern Indiana, so it does get very cold in the winter.

I would like a free standing wood stove that is as low maintenance, easy to use, and that will last a long time. I realize there will be some maintenance but I don't want to have to replace parts every 3-5 years. My budget is around 1800 to 2000 for just the stove. There are so many choices that it is driving me crazy looking. I am hope it someone can narrow down the field with 3-4 high quality choices. Being new to wood burning I don't want to end up with a cheap piece of junk.

If the stove is for supplemental heat in winter, you'll be fine with anything that's not terrible.

If the stove is to be the primary heater year-round, you are going to have to do a little more research; your current search parameters are limiting you to stoves that aren't good at that.

Only gripe I've heard with PE's is the baffle has a tendency to warp. However maybe that was an older generation issue, the new ones may very well have addressed this problem. Comparable to the PE would be the Osburn stoves. I like mine. Quality is very nice and it gets very hot and efficient.

My friend in Northern Ontario heats his old farmhouse with a used Osburn he picked up on Kijiji and is quite happy with it.

Toddl, I assume you are considering the price for the chimney/venting? I just got a quote for my 2 story house and they are asking $4200 just for the chimney and installation. So with that, the stove price wasn't quite as crucial. Hope there is better pricing in your area.

If you change your mind about catalytic stoves... I bet you could get a BK Sirocco or Ashford 20 for close to your price range. I'm pretty sold on the BK Ashford 30 if I end up getting one. For base model I was seeing around $3k, so you might be able to get away with the 20 series for around $2-2.5k.

Good luck.

If you're willing to bump up your budget I'm a big fan of Jotuls based on my experience with the Oslo ... nine years in with the stove being my main source of heat here in Maine and the only thing I've had to replace was a few gaskets last year ... although I also changed out the insulating blanket since it was getting a little ratty looking.

That said ... truly there are very few stoves that folks here would say to stay away from. Englanders, Regency and Napoleons may be more inexpensive, but folks have had very few issues and in fact Englander customer service gets high praise here. On the other end of the spectrum, Blaze King's and Woodstock stoves ... both use cats or hybrid tech ... are well loved with excellent customer service. Me ... I was also considering the Pacific Energy line while shopping.

Today if I needed to buy another stove I quite honestly would consider another Jotul, Woodstock or Blaze King.

I do about 1850 square feet on main level and put in the Quadrafire Explorer 3. Great looks, really easy to operate, non-cat, large firebox. Might be a little high on price but I think it was worth it. Completely changed the look of my room.
upload_2016-7-27_9-27-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, please keep in mind there are no maintenance free models today. As an industry, we try to educate wood burners to regularly inspect each component of the stove annually. In 2015, the new EPA rules (NSPS or New Source Performance Standards) were introduced. In the new NSPS, every manufacture must warranty the essential element necessary for clean combustion. There are many Federally mandated statements in every new Owners Manual reinforcing the need to inspect and maintain.

Catalytic combustors can and do fail. Those that do not fail do need to be replaced at some period of time. The more you burn, the sooner it may need to be replaced. This is also true about parts in secondary combustion stoves. Tubes, baffles, cerablankets, refractory elements all need to be inspected and replaced when necessary due to cracks, warpage etc. As responsible wood burners we need to keep our stoves in tip-top shape. Yes combustors, tubes, baffles etc. cost money, but they are part of the up front decision when making your purchase.

Look for a stove that fits your needs and has a REAL warranty for parts to minimize future maintenance costs. When we buy a car or truck we look for warranty because we know we may need it. Same with wood stoves.

Good luck in your search.

Reactions: ddddddden
The house is 1900 on the main level plus 1900 Sq in yhthe basement. The basement is just for storage but could be find shed later. I realize all stove need maintenance. I do t mind cleaning and inspecting just don't want to tear the stove apart every three years to replace parts. I am just gathering my info so I don't get a cheap POS. I am a middle of the road kind of guy. Don't not want cheap up don't want the most expensive either. I figured the pipe and install will cost about the sam as the cost of the stove. Per the previous post 4200 to install sounds ridiculous. The way it sounds from all the info PE or quadrafire is the way to go.

The house is 1900 on the main level plus 1900 Sq in yhthe basement. The basement is just for storage but could be find shed later. I realize all stove need maintenance. I do t mind cleaning and inspecting just don't want to tear the stove apart every three years to replace parts. I am just gathering my info so I don't get a cheap POS. I am a middle of the road kind of guy. Don't not want cheap up don't want the most expensive either. I figured the pipe and install will cost about the sam as the cost of the stove. Per the previous post 4200 to install sounds ridiculous. The way it sounds from all the info PE or quadrafire is the way to go.
,@
I would also be looking at regencies they are not an entry level stove as implied earlier. They are on par with most quads and PEs as far as price quality and performance.

Quadrafire Explorer 3. Great looks, really easy to operate, non-cat, large firebox.

Did you see what you did there?

You listed one of the disadvantages right in there with all the advantages. Snuck it in second from last. ;)

Reactions: ddddddden
Did you see what you did there?

You listed one of the disadvantages right in there with all the advantages. Snuck it in second from last. ;)
What disadvantage?

I want to put the wood burner in after we move it and it has been inspected for Insurance purposes.

You're not going to tell the insurance company who will be insuring you against loss from fire that you're installing a wood stove?

Not a good idea.

Haha no my insurance guy is a friend of the family. Suggested installing after the house is built and have it professionally install so my insurance doesn't raise much.
I will check out regencies too. Thx.

Haha no my insurance guy is a friend of the family. Suggested installing after the house is built and have it professionally install so my insurance doesn't raise much.
I will check out regencies too. Thx.
What difference could that possibly make a wood stove in the house is a wood stove in the house why would it matter when it was installed?