Need help. Want to use fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wikid321

Nov 2, 2010
Jersey
I bought my home with a wood burning fireplace that i would love to use. However there seems to be a piece missing. I think after my researching its called a flute? Its the piece that you open to let smoke out when using the fire place. Right i have one of those balloons you seen on tv covering the hole so i don't loose heat from my central heat. I would love to use the fireplace for free heat every chance i get. However its a pain to keep removing that balloon and installing it back after im done. Anyone have suggestions Ive heard of a piece to stick on your chimney outside with a long rod inside the chimney and i open it when i need to. However i aint getting on that steep roof. Any help?

You can buy after market dampers which will greatly cut down the air loss when the balloon is not in place. However, open fireplaces are terrible heating solutions. The room the fire is in will get warm, but the amount of air that goes up the chimney means that other rooms get colder. Great for effect, terrible for heating. Consider a wood stove or insert - you'll go from 10% efficiency (losing 90% of the potential heat of the wood) to upwards of 70%.

Thanks for the advice. Question though. Can i per say install a wood stover like you mentioned and utilize the hole already used for a fireplace?

You can use the fireplace flue, though typically it will have to be relined.

Status
Not open for further replies.