New guy, new to stoves and lovin it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlaurinaitis

Oct 28, 2010
Chicago Suburbs
Hello, I posted alittle more in depth in the "wood shed" but I figured I'd introduce myself here also.

I have been lurking for a few months, digesting info. I have learned a ton. I knew nothing of stoves but now I am quite comfortable. Although, I am trying to get over the fear of not "attending" the fire. Lol.

Anyway, I purchased a Lopi answer off a guy on craigs list for 600 dollars, including most of the pipe. It was built in 1994, but was never used, brand new with the tags still on it. I am loving this thing. I wish I had longer burn times, but when your poor, you learn to cope.

Anyway, hello, and thanks for all of the knowledge everyone openly shares!

Welcome aboard, I use to burn the same stove, good little heater.

Good luck to you MrFood.

Welcome to the forum Mr. Food.

Welcome to the forum. There are a couple of guys on this forum up your way. Which direction from the city are you? I'm mostly familiar with the southern suburbs, but I did live in Rockford for a couple of years and the inlaws have lived all over the chicagoland area (now live in wisconsin)

Welcome to the site!

I noticed your post over in the woodshed as well. I would guess your job with the city will help with keeping the wood supply up.

I've lived in Mokena for the past year, in naperville for the 7 years prior to that.

The lopi is blazing away and my mind is going a mile a minute(over some beers) about wood consumption, longer burn times, etc.... This is crazy how addicted I am.

My job w/a municipality is great for getting free wood. Our forestry people leave all rounds on the parkway so the resident get equal dibs. Now, with EAB, they store some big logs in the yard until someone takes them to a dump! This is where I stay late and saw some rounds. Loaded my corollas trunk today with some osage orange crotches and gnarley rounds.

I am running out of space on the side of my house. I am still trying to be neighborly and not get carried away. That may soon go out the window though.

My installer said since my chimney is so short(about 12' in a ranch) cresote shouldn't be a big issue. Hopefully I don't end up having to burn green wood. My cord of seasoned wood seems to be going fast though.

Also, please excuse they typos. Big fingers and a blackberry don't mix.

My wife's sister lives in Park Forest. Her parents and brothers lived in Frankfort for about 10 years.

If you only have a cord of wood, you definitely need to get some more!

I have a cord of 1 year seasoned cherry. I also have about 2 face cords of unseasoned ash, osage orange and some elm.

I am worried. Its like not having enough beer for a party when all the stores are closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.