New here, Chimney question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2015
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I am replacing an old Blazeking princess.....smoke dragon as I have seen them refered, lol. I call it London fog when I look out my window! Anyway I have an Englander 30 on its way. I am trying to figure out how to go from the 6" collar to the 8" pipe for the smoke dragon, while all the time making sure crimps are going the right direction and so on. Currently it comes out of the back of the stove 90 up to Magic Heat, 90 through basement wall, then a 90 up the side of house. I realize I will be eliminating a 90 with new stove yeah!
Great forum here, referenced many times in my pursuit of an economical/EPA/tube vs CAT research.

Thank you

You are gonna want to eliminate that magic heat from the system. New EPA stoves are already stingy with the heat they allow out the stack. You don't want to be cooling it further.

You are gonna want to eliminate that magic heat from the system. New EPA stoves are already stingy with the heat they allow out the stack. You don't want to be cooling it further.
Ok good to hear. I was going to do that for the same reason and then talked my self into keeping it. That and going to larger diameter pipe was of concern.

I was thinking about going with double wall. How do I go double wall 6" and yet convert at some point to 8" single.....at the thimble?

Check the products that the pipe MFG offer. Many times they will have other adapters available, but stick to one brand of pipe.

Check the products that the pipe MFG offer. Many times they will have other adapters available, but stick to one brand of pipe.
I can see where that could get interesting just checking locally here. I have an email out to Selkirk for starters.

Thank You

I can see where that could get interesting just checking locally here. I have an email out to Selkirk for starters.

Thank You

Check out their website for product catalogs. I've been doing some research. It looks like you'll possibly need an increaser. 6" to 8" is product # 266308.

That would work except it needs to be crimped on the 8" side to go int the wall. Ill keep looking.

Thanks!

They have an increaser or a reducer, it switches the crimp side. But I think the increaser does have the crimp on the 8" side:

upload_2015-12-17_10-20-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-17_10-19-18.png
    upload_2015-12-17_10-19-18.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: flyingarmstrong
That sure looks like it would work. Increaser/Reducer.....is it industry standard to go crimp towards stove or just a preference I wonder!

Thanks again, I couldn't see the skirt on the manual I downloaded.

I'm no expert, but I would GUESS the crimp goes towards the chimney. If you read the descriptions the Increaser says "Used to INCREASE the size of pipe TO the chimney", and the crimp is on the larger end. On the reducer the description says "Used to REDUCE the size of the pipe TO the chimney", and the crimp is on the smaller end. I'm just guessing here, maybe somebody with more knowledge will come along.

Status
Not open for further replies.