New member, new Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pshking

Nov 7, 2010
Northern Ky
Hey everyone, i have been a lurker for a couple years know, but finally able to get an Oslo before the tax credit ran out. This site has been provided a wealth of info for making my decision to buy an Oslo alittle easier.

Now I have just got to install: liner, short leg kit, heat shield, make fireplace opening cover plate, etc..

Definitely looking forward to many warm and comfortable winter evenings.

Philip

Attachments

• Oslo f500.jpg
    Oslo f500.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 248
Welcome Phillip. There is a special place in heaven for the owners of brown wood stoves. It's called the Brown Room. It is warm and comfortable.

We are all looking forward to seeing that beauty in action. They are great stoves.

Nice! Welcome Philip, you're going to love that stove.

Welcome to the Forum.Nice stove You will love it.How many guys helped you lug it in your house?

Moderator,Where do people go who burn in a brown steel barrel ?

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I had my dad and a buddy come over to help get it in. I have to admit, i was able to cheat moving it in. I took the tractor and lifted it off the truck, sit it down on a cheap Habor Freight moving dolly, and rolled it up 2 -2x10x16 right in to the door you see in the back of the pic.

pk

Congrats on your new stove. I am starting my second winter with an Oslo. It is a great stove.

The main lesson I learned from my first season is that this stove works great with dry, seasoned wood. I burn mostly oak and was used to being able to burn oak that has only been split for 6 months to a year in my old stove. That is not enough time to properly season oak for these new EPA stoves. Since most of my wood was not properly seasoned last winter, I bought two extra cords last winter so that I could get another year of seasoning on that wood to be ready for this winter.

I have had a few fires this fall with this properly seasoned wood. It makes a huge difference in make this stove a very easy stove to burn - secondaries are kicking at 20 - 30 minutes and primary air can be shut off completely. Also, start the stove with small splits to get it going quickly.

Here is a thread from my install in case this might be helpful:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/44303/

I just got another two cords for next winter. The key is to stay a winter ahead with your wood.

RAMSAY said:
Moderator,Where do people go who burn in a brown steel barrel ?

A construction site in Newark. :)

LOL ,,,Oh I'm sorry your BrotherBart. Safe Burning!~ Ramsay

Welcome to the Order of the Oslo Woodburners Oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.