New stove advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyjon

Sep 9, 2012
I have a small unknown brand stove now, It needs to go. It last about 4 hrs, heats great but I would like to keep it running through the night at least. I have to have a rear exit flue so it can go straight back in to the fireplace and up that chimney with a clean out "T". The setup I have now burns great but just needs to last longer. Was considering a wonder wood stove but have seen mixed reviews. I'm not to picky on style, function is really the name of the game here. Oh and now I'm probably really asking a lot here for my $800 bucks but a top load would be awesome.

Welcome to the forums. For $800 that is going to be in the used market. Where are you located?

We need more info on your setup. Can you take a picture of the stove and post it so that we can see what you've got? Also, what's the height of the top of the flue exit on the stove?

Welcome to the forums. For $800 that is going to be in the used market. Where are you located?

We need more info on your setup. Can you take a picture of the stove and post it so that we can see what you've got? Also, what's the height of the top of the flue exit on the stove?

What I have now is very small and the only adjustments on it are two 3" plates that thread in and out to adjust airflow in to the stove. Last winter was my first for wood burning in my own house and I thought theres supposed to be a damper in the flue but not with this setup I guess. I dont own a digital camera so I will see about borrowing a buddys.
It measures 27" Tall (6" is just the base) 28" wide and 16" deep from floor to top of flue is 25" but I am going to remove 2 1/2" of stone under it and replace it with tile so I should gain 2" if it helps.

I'd hold off on removing any part of the hearth until you definitely have the replacement stove to measure off of. Some stoves need a lot more hearth protection than others so even though you drop the hearth height, it may need to be built up again part way with insulation under the cement board that the tile is set on.

At this time of year, it might be a little tough to find a good replacement. There is nothing new selling in your price range, with those criteria that I can think of. Keep watching Craigslist and the local papers in your area.

At this time of year, it might be a little tough to find a good replacement. Keep watching Craigslist in your area.[/quote]

What about the stuff at lowes and the depot are they junk?

It depends. Some are not so great, but then again they sell some good stoves. But most are top vented stoves. Did you have a specific model in mind?

Englander is a good brand but this sounds like a pellet stove.

About the only stove I can think that Lowes might sell with a rear outlet is a Vogelzang box stove. I would definitely not recommend that stove.Not alt Lowes, but there is a Buck 261 stove that can be ordered with 2" legs that might work with a larger hearth extension. That would run about $1700.

The problem with picking a suitable stove for this fireplace is the low height. I can see why you are considering lowering the hearth. Another option might be to block off the fireplace at the damper and tap in the chimney liner higher in the chimney. That would allow a top vent stove connection.

Reactions: PapaDave
What does everyone think of a VC Resolute for the poster? I'm seeing some of those and some of the smaller Dutchwest stoves, used, in his area that meet the posters budget, but I am not sure of the heating needs.

Also, would a Jotul Black Bear work? It is a rear venting stove, just not sure if it will meet the poster's needs. I've found two or three in the OP's price range in his area.

The original Resolute would be on the borderline for overnight burns. When it's really cold outside and one is pushing the Resolute, 5 hrs between refills is not uncommon, at least with softwood.

We don't know anything about the house or how large an area is being heated.That would also factor in, so I am thinking stoves with a solid 8 hr burn time. If the house is under 1500 sq ft then I am thinking Woodstock here.

The Resolute would be on the borderline for overnight burns. We don't know anything about the house or how large an area is being heated. When it's really cold outside and one is pushing the Resolute, 5 hrs between refills is not uncommon, at least with softwood.
What about an older Black Bear. I remember people speaking quite well of them, but I do not remember the burn times.

Not a bad idea if one can find one, but I don't recall the rear outlet height.

If the house is under 1500 sq ft then I am thinking Woodstock here.
With a budget of $800, that is going to be tough to handle. Haven't seen any used ones in his area. I could probably find an Encore within his budget, but I am always hesitant to recommend an Encore or Defiant due to others having so many bad experiences.

Nice find. If the burn plates and baffle are in good shape I would pay $500. If not, maybe $350. I have the manual. The dimensions are metric, but unfortunately if my math is correct the flue is too high. I get 27.4" to the center of the rear exit flue or about 30" to the top of it.

Could you do some sort of short leg kit on it?

We don't know anything about the house or how large an area is being heated.That would also factor in, so I am thinking stoves with a solid 8 hr burn time. If the house is under 1500 sq ft then I am thinking Woodstock here.

I am at about 1600 sq ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.