New stove advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Woodstock Fireview would be a good choice. It's flue outlet centerline is at 22.75"

A Woodstock Fireview would be a good choice. It's flue outlet centerline is at 22.75"

And I found one way in south dakota for $750 with a very light duty splitter at that price.... dangit thats like a 1000 miles. But if anyone is interested thats closer its a great deal.

Is an insert an option? Is there a full liner in place? Is this a masonry fireplace and chimney?

Is an insert an option? Is there a full liner in place? Is this a masonry fireplace and chimney?

it is a mobile home and I have not found any inserts that would fit in to the opening with out totally busting all the stone around it out. It is not a masonry chimney

it is a mobile home and I have not found any inserts that would fit in to the opening with out totally busting all the stone around it out. It is not a masonry chimney

That adds a new dimension.

Indeed.

This kind of highlights why a "help me find a stove" thread needs to also provide where you are located, size of home, and type of home.

Why is the mobile home thing always such an issue? When it was put in last year I had my stove setup installed when the inspector came to give us occupancy and he looked it over and made sure my chimney was all up to code along with my piping between that I installed and he had no problem. He passed it and said everything looked good. I dont see why that makes any difference if I were installing a stove in front of a fireplace in a house or a mobile home I dont see the diff. But maybe you guys could educate me on that a bit

Not necessarily the mobile home thing, as long as the stove is approved for mobile home use. Metal prefab fireplace chimneys usually aren't approved for stove use, and vice versa. Is the stove connected directly to this chimney, or is there a liner installed? You also need to know what is behind the fireplace, and that clearance to combustible specs are met. Don't know about where you're at, but around here inspectors aren't exactly wood stove savvy.

NFPA and manufacturers come up with these guidelines for only one reason, and that is your safety.

Not necessarily the mobile home thing, as long as the stove is approved for mobile home use. Metal prefab fireplace chimneys usually aren't approved for stove use, and vice versa. Is the stove connected directly to this chimney, or is there a liner installed? You also need to know what is behind the fireplace, and that clearance to combustible specs are met. Don't know about where you're at, but around here inspectors aren't exactly wood stove savvy.

NFPA and manufacturers come up with these guidelines for only one reason, and that is your safety.

I just connected it to the existing chimney and the only thing the inspector told me was to be sure that I run the pipe from the stove at least 18" up the chimney. As far as clearances around the chimney I havent a clue. Its all enclosed in a corner behind stone

Sounds like a rural inspector or one that didn't know code. I think that in addition to the required clearances and hearth requirements, mobile home stoves are required to be EPA approved, with an outside air kit and bolted to the floor.

What is being used for a hearth under the stove and how far does it extend? Is there at least a block off plate at the damper level in the fireplace? Pics would really help here.

IMG_1148.JPG
There is a 5ft wide by 3ft depth of 2" thick concrete (or some material like it) And then in front of that I bought a hearth panel (about 4'X3') from menards to protect the floor ahead of the three feet. The other pad I bought is not pictured but I had it in front of everything View attachment 73534

Looks nice, though the hearth is woefully inadequate. No inspector I know of would pass that, though perhaps an insert would work. What's the make and model number for the ZC fireplace? .

Looks nice, though the hearth is woefully inadequate. No inspector I know of would pass that.
Well it came out 3ft farther with the hearth pad that I bought while using the stove last winter. Do you think at that its still to small?

Good for you, that helps. I have no idea if the stone hearth on the wood floor is even remotely safe. It's not unless it stays cool directly under the stove. I kind of doubt that. We have seen some pictures where inadequate hearths are removed and charred wood was found under the stove location, thus my concern.

burnt floor.jpg

Good for you, that helps. I have no idea if the stone hearth on the wood floor is even remotely safe. It's not unless it stays cool directly under the stove. I kind of doubt that. We have seen some pictures where inadequate hearths are removed and charred wood was found under the stove location, thus my concern.

View attachment 73536

Well maybe just to be safe I will tear that one out. I wanted to build a larger one that was one piece anyway. But now you guys got me concerned about the chimney so Im gonna have to look in to that some more

What's the make and model of the ZC fireplace that is in there. Would an insert be ok if it was approved to go in this unit?

If the chimney has a full length, stainless steel liner dropped down the existing chimney then it should be ok.

It is a Marco model #762778D If i were able to find an insert that would fit right in that unit would be great but the Marco company is out of business.

I like the idea of getting an Englander 30 and tapping in at a higher point on the chimney. I think that stove is near the price range new and will give very long burn times and high output. Those Jotuls are nice too. I like the castings on there

Yes, that's going to be a challenge. Not likely approved and no docs to check. Tapping into the chimney is not an option in this case.

Yes, that's going to be a challenge. Not likely approved and no docs to check. Tapping into the chimney is not an option in this case.

Well I think I am gonna get a flexible stainless steel liner on ebay. And fabricate some legs for that used jotul in kalamazoo craigslist. I called the guy and he will take $400. I have a welder and equipment for metal work so I will fab some legs to lower the stove and bolt my legs in place of the stock ones. Does anyone know how long burn time those specific jotul models have and also if the fact there is no fan built in makes any difference. Whats the verdict on the wonder wood stoves? are they junk?

Perhaps a little stunned that the stove has been run without a liner and with little hearth in front. It's pretty clear that the "inspector" was not looking at the stove or it's connection.

This project seems bound to work off label, at some risk and without regard to code. It's hard to say whether safety is really being taken seriously. If serious, then build up that hearth so that it has good insulation between it and the wood floor and keep the new legs as long as possible.

I have been ignorant to the chimney and will be resolving that with a stainless liner and I plan on building a much larger hearth. I will be searching this site for the correct way to do that. I appreciate all of your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.