New wood stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jikol70

Jan 16, 2014
NM
Hey all!

I'm getting ready to install a new wood stove and had a couple of questions. I am using an existing brick chimney to run the chimney pipe through. There is a hole in the wall that taps right in to the brick chimney

My house is an old Adobe ans the walls are adobe brick and I do not think that there are any studs in the walls. Would be considered a non-combustible material?

Single or double wall stove pipe?? I can get 18" of clearance from the wall if needed.

What kind of connector do I need for going through the wall in to the chimney(to connect stove to chimney pipe)? The connectors I have seen seem that they need to be accessed from both sides of the wall to install. I won't be able to access the other side of the wall (inside the chimney) for the install.

Since I will be running the chimney pipe through a masonry chimney what is the best kind of pipe to use? I will have to thread it down from the roof.

Thanks!

D

Welcome.

You want a stainless steel liner made for that application. There are several advertisers on this site that supply everything you need to get it done. Here is one http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/

Does the chimney have an existing clay tile liner? What size is the opening? What stove are you going to install?

Not sure about the adobe question.

Thanks Jeff!

When you say stainless steel liner your not talking about Class A pipe? I don't think the chimney has a clay liner, I haven't pulled the top cap off yep, but the hole in the wall leads right into the chimney and it's just brick from what I can see. The house is real old but the top part of the chimney was all rebuilt by the previous owner about 5 years ago. They put on a new roof and rebuilt it from just inside the roof. The opening into the wall is 6". The stove is an Englander 1,800 sqft.

D

If you look at that link, you'll see flexible ss liners. It will probably need to be insulated, as well. There are no disadvantages to an insulated liner, and it will be needed if your chimney isn't in top shape.

That link is just an example. There may be better places to buy, or a local dealer/installer if you aren't the DIY type.

Pay attention to the install instructions of that Englander. It has pretty hefty hearth requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.