Newbie-- Looking for big glass & warmth for 2700 sq ft home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Englander is sold by Home Depot looks like. Thank you for this info! I'm considering all options. We had it down to two choices and now you guys are giving us many choices. lol.

Thank you!
I have the smaller version of the Englander. It's named the Madison. I LOVE it. Lots of heat and very efficient. The big brother should do you good. The best part is the large glass! b2b2afdbe0ccdac7147e1e7529f7b00f.jpgd2640463f43aae1b36f5b9568878e6f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Thank you all for all your posts! Great information!!

Yes Woodstock is having a fantastic sale!

We are choosing between the jotul f55
And Woodstock progress hybrid.

For those of you who have the Woodstock progress could you take pic of what the fresh air intake looks like hooked up? I have a feeling it will look horrible since it appears to be halfway up the back of the stove instead of underneath the stove like the jotul f55. So I'd like to see what it looks like hooked up (air intake).

Can someone post photo?

We have to drill underneath the base and have our fresh air intake from crawl space. Our stove is in great room and on inner wall.

Any help with photos would be appreciated

Tami

FWIW, Woodstocks are almost always on sale. Wondering if you could come out of the back of the PH with an elbow so that the intake pipe is straight down behind the stove. Could be painted black before attaching.

Reactions: Woody Stover
We thought of that too but want to see photos of how others have hooked them up.

This is what hearth looks like so far. Going to have rock and tile installed next wk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 192
You are correct that the classic Blaze Kings look like big ugly black boxes. That is not true of some of their newer stoves, however. Here is a picture of one of my Blaze King Ashford 30's, which outperforms those Woodstocks in every possible way.

first fire 2016.jpg

Here's a stock photo:

Blaze-King-Ashford-30.png

Big window, 30+ hour burn times, a top you can cook on (just lift off the convection lid)... it's hard to go wrong with this stove.

I can't argue with PE or Jotul, both great brands, but I personally don't understand why anyone would consider a stove from Woodstock. If you're going to go catalytic, there is just no stove that even comes close to Blaze King.

We like both stoves and actually the efficiency rate is what we get our tax credit based on in Oregon. Not the emission rate, weird I know, but this is how Oregon does it. The efficiency rate on the Ashford 30 is not any better than the Jotul F55. Even though the emission rate is less they both have the same efficiency in the 70's, unless you buy the Ashford 30.1 which is 80. But we have decided to choose between those two....the F55 or the Progress. We like both stoves and I cannot go into why I don't want to buy a Blaze King but I wouldn't buy one.....not because of the stove but the company. That is all I will say. It is a pretty stove though, that is for sure!

Ashful, I don't see anything online showing the 30.1 has a flip up or lift off top to be able to cook on it. Can you take a photo of that? curious what it looks like but nothing online shows it!

I can't argue with PE or Jotul, both great brands, but I personally don't understand why anyone would consider a stove from Woodstock. If you're going to go catalytic, there is just no stove that even comes close to Blaze King.

Not all folks are not engineers, going on specs alone. Lots of folks have a particular look or feature they like. That is why there is variety in the marketplace. This is not just stoves, same for cars. One can argue to the death what they think is better, be it a Mercedes or Lexus. Some people prefer big inefficient muscle cars in spite of their shortcomings. Same thing with stoves. From most reports for example the PH ash collection system is superior. If one really likes the look of soapstone then Woodstock stoves make a sound purchase.

One thing is consistent. Most enthusiast think their stove is the best. That is why the policy was set:
It is against the Forum Rules to spend endless threads promoting a certain brand or product, even if you don't financially benefit from it.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...he-fire-and-lets-chat-and-forum-rules.139783/

Reactions: pen and Ashful
Ashful, I don't see anything online showing the 30.1 has a flip up or lift off top to be able to cook on it. Can you take a photo of that? curious what it looks like but nothing online shows it!
Not a flip top. The top is a lightweight casting that just lifts off. I don't think they ever promoted it for the purpose of a cooktop, but I suppose you could use it as such. I can try to get a photo when I'm home tonight.
One thing is consistent. Most enthusiast think their stove is the best. That is why the policy was set:
It is against the Forum Rules to spend endless threads promoting a certain brand or product, even if you don't financially benefit from it.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...he-fire-and-lets-chat-and-forum-rules.139783/
True'dat. This is why we bought our prospective stoves, after years of burning in other appliances. No harm in explaining why you believe it to be the best solution, or questioning the choice of another. This is how we all learn and share the pros and cons of each model.

Begreen, I don't think Ashful was intending to go against rules.... Most people on the forum have their favorite stove and say so....I am learning that being a newby. I got the fact he loves his Ashford...Blaze King. I just would probably not buy one....but appreciate his point of view.

Ashful: No worries, you don't need to take a photo. I had forgotten what the inside of blaze kings look like. I don't like their ash system. I'd almost prefer not to have a ash pan......the F55 is one option we are looking at.

Still like the Progress Hybrid and the F55 so probably going to choose between the two of those. I like how the F55 looks and it is pretty efficient. I am also not sure I want to deal with a catalytic stove. Many pros to them, but some cons. And being a beginner in a wood stove, I think a non cat stove may suit us better. But we have til the end of the week to hopefully have a decision.

The cat stoves are very efficient. And some supposedly are now waranteeing their cat's for 6-10 yrs. I just think it may be more a hassle than anything else to deal with them.....but not sure.

I am finding people either love their ashpans or never use them. I am trying to figure out which person I am in regards to that since I have never had one. lol.

Here is a picture of one of my Blaze King Ashford 30's, which outperforms those Woodstocks in every possible way.
1) The BK stoves, even the new ones, are unattractive. This is, of course, going to vary from person to person.
2) The cat-only BK stoves don't have the advantages of the cat+secondary hybrid design Woodstock is now using.
3) Ongoing maintenance costs are higher on the BKs (more expensive cats) and the cats are, generally, much harder to quickly access than on the IS (no idea about the other WS hybrids as I don't own them).

Having now owned a hybrid stove, I would not want to go to a secondary-only or cat-only stove in the future if a hybrid model was available in the size of stove I was looking for.

Reactions: Ashful
but I personally don't understand why anyone would consider a stove from Woodstock. If you're going to go catalytic, there is just no stove that even comes close to Blaze King.
Wow those are like fighting words there eh? I'd say Woodstock shares the top tier there (with BK of course). There are many advantages to Woodstock, which we have debated endlessly in the past and I won't rehash. For some like me who need the vent to clear under 26" out the back, it's probably the best option on the market. Not to mention the large price difference.
Yes Woodstock is having a fantastic sale!

FWIW, Woodstocks are almost always on sale. .
Yes they are always 'on sale' but the price does change, @countrychick they are never the full price they say they are so the sale isn't the full $500 or whatever, those prices listed for the black friday sale are I think around $50 to $100 cheaper than what they just were if I remember the prices right, though that is just for the model or two I remember. If you're looking at the PH I don't recall but chances are about the same. Usually their biggest sale is in the spring fwiw. Yeah it's just the usual marketing tricks there, but the prices do fluctuate maybe around $200 or so. But steadily go up every year too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
I will say the ash system on my old Jotul Firelights was far more convenient than my BKs, albeit a little prone to leaking. I do miss the self-managing grate system.

Wow great conversation everyone! So......does someone here have the Progress Hybrid? I really need to see what the fresh air intake looks like hooked up. Can someone pleassse take a picture and post one here? We are hoping to make our decision soon.

Ohioburner.....the price is almost 500.00 difference on the Progress Hybrid right now than the prices last week. It is 4 hundred some odd savings. So yeah it is a chunk of change esp since I'd have to pay 700.00 or so to ship to me. ouch. So that would pay some of my shipping in savings anyway.

Someone have a Progress Hybrid? Do any of you have the fresh air intake hooked up? I need a photo of this! =)

Tami

There are many advantages to Woodstock, which we have debated endlessly in the past and I won't rehash.
Yeah, we don't want to go through that extensive list again, point by point; It would just take too long. >> Let's sum it up by saying that Woodstock has the engineering, quality and value edge over the other cat brands, by a long shot...albeit with a little less "no-heat-production" burn time on low. ;)
Not all folks are not engineers
Indeed. ==c
One thing is consistent. Most enthusiast think their stove is the best.
True. Furthermore, some are right and some are wrong. ;)
Most people on the forum have their favorite stove and say so....I am learning
Still like the Progress Hybrid and the F55 so probably going to choose between the two of those. I like how the F55 looks and it is pretty efficient. I am also not sure I want to deal with a catalytic stove. Many pros to them, but some cons. And being a beginner in a wood stove, I think a non cat stove may suit us better. But we have til the end of the week to hopefully have a decision.
Sounds like you're learning, keeping a level head, and not buying into the first bit of hype you happen to read. You have to learn as much as you can, then make your choice. A lot of newbs don't make it that far. To anyone considering a BK, all I can say is, go back and read all the BK threads, and a lot of other stove threads as well. I'm left asking myself, "I wonder how some of these folks will be feeling about their purchase in ten or fifteen years..."
I am finding people either love their ashpans or never use them. I am trying to figure out which person I am in regards to that since I have never had one. lol.
I got hooked on the grated ash-handling systems about fifteen years ago, when I got the Dutchwest 2460 after shoveling out the Englander 24 cigar-burner. I've had one stove since where I had to shovel 'em out, and run another with a pretty decent ash dump system, and it just reinforced my feeling that ash-handling is one of the most important features of a stove to me. Sure, you can get the ashes out of your stove with a minimum of dust escaping, but it takes time, work and timing...and it's an all-around pain in the butt. Multiply that by how many times you'll have to do it over the life of the stove, and it becomes a no-brainer the way I see it. Get a stove with a grated system, and you will thank yourself every time you walk outside with that pan full of cold ash, instead of half full of hot coals. ;hm
I cannot go into why I don't want to buy a Blaze King but I wouldn't buy one.....That is all I will say.
OK, then say no more...but could you add just a bit in writing? ;)
my Blaze King Ashford 30's, which outperforms those Woodstocks in every possible way...If you're going to go catalytic, there is just no stove that even comes close to Blaze King.
This is really the most compelling reason to not buy a BK; If you read the BK guys' posts over a period of time, you realize that once one of these things finds its way into your house and you begin to inhale the "magic moon dust" over the ensuing weeks and months, your grasp on reality grows more tenuous with each passing day. ;lol

Wow great conversation everyone! So......does someone here have the Progress Hybrid? I really need to see what the fresh air intake looks like hooked up. Can someone pleassse take a picture and post one here? We are hoping to make our decision soon.

Ohioburner.....the price is almost 500.00 difference on the Progress Hybrid right now than the prices last week. It is 4 hundred some odd savings. So yeah it is a chunk of change esp since I'd have to pay 700.00 or so to ship to me. ouch. So that would pay some of my shipping in savings anyway.

Someone have a Progress Hybrid? Do any of you have the fresh air intake hooked up? I need a photo of this! =)

Woodstock has a right angle adapter that keeps the outside air duct neatly tucked to the back of the stove, but no specs for the rectangular opening size. Looks like it would need a custom section of duct.
http://store.woodstove.com/product.php?productid=16796
Maybe ask Woodstock if they have any pictures of one installed?

My stove can whip your stove. Nah nah nah. ;lol

So what stove do you have brother Bart? Bet you knew I'd ask! Lol

Wow this sure does sound like a guys forum...mine is bigger...better than yours. Lol. You guys crack me up!

Thank you begreen for that link! I will call them on Friday. Good idea to ask them. I will do that!

Thanks woodystover. Wow great replies! As for blaze king. Suffice to say they like their money they make. Cant say more. But I wouldn't buy from them.
Thanks for your post about ashpans too. Still doesn't help me. I didn't get muscles in my arms by not doing wk. so shoveling ash wouldn't be a big deal to me. But the grate systems I love! My problem is I love the f55 too. And it has no ashpan. Why they didn't make that a option I don't understand!!
We need to see the fresh air intake on the Woodstock. So will call them on Friday.
Thanks again for all the replies woodystover. Good to have peoples thoughts!!

Reactions: tifferstwo
BrotherBart's good looking install (for a big honkin steel stove).
BrotherBart 30 first fire.jpg

Ladies are welcome and encouraged to participate here. Happy to have you onboard.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I have a feeling the outside air adapter for the progress hybrid is going to really look like a pink elephant. My stove has to sit out a ways from the back of the hearth because of the truss in the ceiling. It's frustrating but the way it is. So we couldn't hide the air intake behind it. Most air intakes are under the stoves. Strange they have the air intake behind the stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.