NEWBIE NEEDS HELP-WOOD BURNING INSERT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

Thanks for the low down. Still trying to figure where to place the wood. Think I should order a cord of "Chunk"..Hope these local guys around here supply it. Want to get some splits and share with a neighbor who fell on hard times. They would cut the grass and come help shovel snow since dh was so sick 4 so long. She has a free standing stove. Cutting heating bills would help her...

piejam said:
Hi BG

Just got back from the south shore. I actually live where the twin forks split..Dixie lives north of me. Pulled the trigger on the repair. Hope lead time for parts is not out of hand & I lose the season. They said in stock.

If the parts are in stock you should be in good shape and it should be a relatively quick turnaround. Old VC parts that are out of stock and need to be ordered is when things become dodgy.

I know. Hearing it's in stock is like "the check is in the mail"!!!! Maybe something will go my way for a change. But I am dealing with Vc. Ouch. Gotta give it a shot. Owner of hearth shop claims since majestic took over things are better-Yeah they probably have a bridge to sell me in Manhattan..If they renege I will go shopping in the spring and get a better price. Although the new shop in my back yard did give me an excellent price on the pe-summit $2066 unit. Tough to pass, but I know dh would have tried the retrofit.

The only thing I can lose here is the burning season, some fuel bill $$$..and possibly a mfg price increase. Just love that soft heat I have become accustomed to. My poor lil dragon that sit's on top of my cold ww stove.....Can't help it..I do love to gamble...watch me crash and burn..A Gabija curse on Southampton if they don't come thru! I know you all are warning me...Thanks

Hello Everybody,

Well the stove shop called and they have the parts. Installation date 10/17..Hoping my VC will last a couple more seasons. It probably should with secondary usage. Thanks for all the help and advice..Posted Craig in the suggestion box to thank him as well. You guys can breath a sigh of relief now since I'll fade into the sunset. Still will lurk around but will try not to be so vocal. Anybody want to go short on that?..Hell that method works for Wall Street! Don't want to over stay my welcome.

Fred I'm pining over the PE Summit..Think I got cold feet due to the weld crack issue. Don't know if's that related to a specific model year or mfg plant. Doing the retrofit on the VC will buy me time. Money is an issue. Got a problem here with zone 2 boiler room. Builder shoehorned heating system in. Can't access main water shut off valve. Plumber can't fit in room for any repairs. Since I'm under construction here-going to knock out boiler room wall-and move adjacent 1/2 bath over about 2ft. That should fix the trouble.

Going to get price on the above 2day. Hope I can afford it..Have to Nix hardwood floor plans & insert replacement to fix boiler room. If I get a flood I'm toast + it would make resale difficult. DH spoiled and insulated me from most issues. Guess that's why I'm in panic mode. Not accustomed to making these decisions. Just want to thank you all for the help. I'm learning a great deal on other matters via the posts..

Once again thank you..Just wanted you to know the difference you can make in someones life! Hope people had a good time at the Woodstock open house & Bfunk succeeds in becoming smoke-free. I know I will get better in the future but sadly today is not that day. Regards to Rick and I hope he feels better, am sharing his pain. I know, exactly.

piejam said:
Hello Everybody,

Well the stove shop called and they have the parts. Installation date 10/17..Hoping my VC will last a couple more seasons. It probably should with secondary usage. Thanks for all the help and advice..Posted Craig in the suggestion box to thank him as well. You guys can breath a sign of relief now since I'll fade into the sunset. Still will lurk around but will try not to be so vocal. Anybody want to go short on that?..Hell that method works for Wall Street! Don't want to over stay my welcome.

Fred I'm pining over the PE Summit..Think I got cold feet due to the weld crack issue. Don't know if's that related to a specific model year or mfg plant. Doing the retrofit on the VC will buy me time. Money is an issue. Got a problem here with zone 2 boiler room. Builder shoehorned heating system in. Can't access main water shut off valve. Plumber can't fit in room for any repairs. Since I'm under construction here-going to knock out boiler room wall-and move adjacent 1/2 bath over about 2ft. That should fix the trouble.

Going to get price on the above 2day. Hope I can afford it..Have to Nix hardwood floor plans & insert replacement to fix boiler room. If I get a flood I'm toast + it would make resale difficult. DH spoiled and insulated me from most issues. Guess that's why I'm in panic mode. Not accustomed to making these decisions. Just want to thank you all for the help. I'm learning a great deal on other matters via the posts..

Once again thank you..Just wanted you to know the difference you can make in someones life! Hope people had a good time at the Woodstock open house & Bfunk succeeds in becoming smoke-free. I know I will get better in the future but sadly today is not that day. Regards to Rick and I hope he feels better, am sharing his pain. I know, exactly.

I, for one, certainly hope you don't stop posting or disappear . . . you are one of us now . . . like it or not. ;) :) Trust me . . . you're not overstaying your welcome -- besides we need someone to keep Bfunk going on his smoke cessation and it sounds as though you and a few others who had personal experiences with smoking and its effects helped him out some . . . it's all part of giving and receiving with the hearth.com community.

Are you suure?(Joe Pesci Voice!) Thanks Jake..I'm not blowin sunshine up anyone's tail..I'm really happy that I found such a caring bunch of folks! Actually starting to sleep at night..I mean all the way through without ambien. Just need to calm down. Having trouble letting go of dh..Lived with that man for 40rs. He Wasn't whipped just a sucker for me poor sob..I would give up all I have just to hear the key in the door, footsteps in the hall, or even the relentless whistling in the shower with tapping feet! Only have my lil VC to keep me warm now. Used to drive me crazy.Ever hear someone do purple haze on a kazoo? He was awesome. While he was on a vent, they trach"d him..Ending his whistling days. Was very sad.

Must go now..Contractors are boxin me in with tile..Last post for now..ttys..Some day I'll tell you my Significant Other story-pisser..

Diane: Hope the insert repair and the boiler room/bathroom rebuild go okay. The problems with the Summit seem to be limited to those made in certain years (2005-2006, I think). Good luck and post a pic when you get the WWarm burning again. And don't be a stranger!

Fred

PS

Ok-so I came downstairs & climbed over the banister into the living room..Damn the tile is starting to look awesome..Put it on the 45..Forgot to ask a cosmetic question on the WW repair. Slight rust on the bottom of the door..Now I know contractors, maybe the hearth guy will do the right thing but..Instead of spray painting( will check for high temp grill paint) directly over the door, shouldn't 00 steel wool be used to remove rust first? Should I do this myself? I am paying them!!! oh boy...

Knew you guys would be thinking of me! Thanks for all the support..Good thing I'm a Mrs and not a Miss..Climbing over that banister was a groan. I'm a gidget 5ft2"...That rail is above the waist and right below twin city....Now to check on Bfunk...bye...

Sounds like things are progressing nicely, D !!

Good on ya for sharing with the neighbors, too !!

Thanks Dixie,

Didn't make the call for the wood yet..after next week. Need driveway clear for cabinet contractors. Was not in shape to haul and stack. Had dental surgery-2 extractions..Kids around here have more money in their pockets then me ..Tough to get someone to do mule work. I'm getting better. Neighbor will help after next week. She is happy about getting the splits/chunk..Hope the local suppliers around here still have everything I need. Got his name from a reliable source...

Thanks for chiming in..Hope Bfunk didn't fall off the wagon...Didn't see any updates. Got my fingers crossed for him..Take care..

piejam said:
Thanks Dixie,

Didn't make the call for the wood yet..after next week. Need driveway clear for cabinet contractors. Was not in shape to haul and stack. Had dentral surgery-2 extractions..Kids around here have more money in their pockets then me ..Tough to get someone to do mule work. I'm getting better. Neighbor will help after next week. She is happy about getting the splits/chunk..Hope the local suppliers around here still have everything I need. Got his name from a reliable source...

Thanks for chiming in..Hope Bfunk didn't fall off the wagon...Didn't see any updates. Got my fingers crossed for him..Take care..

OK, I know who the reliable source is ;-) , but, it's a few weeks later, and he's got wet wood. I know, had 2 cords delivered 2 weeks ago. Mosquito's are flying around this stuff, it's so wet.Worried about malaria :)

Spend the bucks, and call the Yaphank guy. It's dry and ready, worth the money. I like him better any ways
devil-smiley-024.gif

The other guy delivers until January. Enough time to get $200 or so together, and get another 2 cords. IMHO.

Sheee's Baaack......

Ok the hearth service people were here on Monday..My iron maiden got new parts and a paint job! Looks great..They told me I can fire up at night but have to wait. Too many ctc issues since all my furniture is piled up in the family room. A few more days of this remodeling crap and then I can start getting back to normal.

I will try and update over the weekend..It's almost 8am and contractors are due to arrive any minute..Thanks for all the help..Now about that camera.....

Good advice on the wood Dixie. Pay a bit extra for good dry wood. And don't wait. It gets harder to find as the season progresses.

Hello,

Dixie, just got off the phone with John in Manorville...He dumped a load of split/chunk in my backyard and about 2/3 of a cord to my girlfriend. Can't believe he came within 20mins..My Bff was thrilled..Total load 2 cords..mix of cherry, oak, maple and locust!..Now I have to haul my load into wood bins...Talk to you soon...Thanks! He also advised me if any of the stuff is too long, he will come back with his chain saw. Very pleasant fellow.

This gives me about 3-4 chords..John advised his was seasoned approx 7mos/covered...won't burn his until late next year...Thanks again to all who posted here!

Good, then he had some drier stuff sitting around. Good deal :)

Only one caveat PieJam . . . if you plan to stick around . . . and we certainly hope you do . . . chord = musical term, cord = measurement of wood ;)

Hi Jake,

Spellcheck is good but not that intelligent yet...Thanks..Don't have many brain cells left..I obviously don't proof read..lol..Can't wait for remodel to be completed. Need to move the ctc issues before firing up the iron maiden..New tv is only 20" from the side of the insert..Going to have my contractor run another cable jack..Still need to put away about 2/3 of a cord I had delivered yesterday. Raining here 2day so no outside work.

Hope you and Dennis had a great time at the open house...Thanks for chiming in..

Well had the first burn of the season last nite..Was running the stove for about 4hrs. Still didn't move my electronics further away from the fireplace yet, but did keep an eye on them. Did not get hot...All the cats were in the family room sprawled out in front of the WWarm...They were so hot to the touch and purring away...

Got pretty warm downstairs but I didn't mind at all...Think I'll get a hygrometer so I have some kind of idea how dry it will get in here..In the past I was always cooking so it wasn't an issue but now...Oh well..Talk to you guys soon...D

Good news, D !! Glad you got the extra firewood, too :)

Thanks Dixie..That wood is for next year..Neighbor was so grateful she sent her #3son and daughter in law to store..Stacking is an art, will rotate as I use this season's wood. Kids don't realize you can't just throw it in the wood bin. I just wanted to get it off the backyard grass..Gave them a few bucks to visit Mickey D's..Nice to have good friends and neighbors...Especially ones that are teaching their kids life lessons...

Well as usual this pine barrens cold pocket is up to its usual standards..Going to bake some cookies now..Just a test run for Halloween...see ya!

This section is called "Icey Hollow". I hear ya. I have the PE firing off now.

Hello Everybody!

Can't thank you guys enough for all the great advice. Happy as a pig in chit! Love having my insert back..Did not burn overnite yet but looking forward to it. Figure it's only early November and the evening fires are really heating things up nicely for now.

Well let's see, I've got my insert, Bfunk is still smoke free/makes great pizza, Dixie cup been firing up the PE, and I'm sure Dennis and Jake are still going at it about being horizontal! The moderators are up to their usual standards of excellence and I see new members joining in..Cool..

Hope Snowleopard and Fred doing ok. Think of you guys often. Almost finished with my remodel and can't wait to rid the place of contractors. Thank you to all who posted here. Your kindness is greatly appreciated..Good nite...

Don't be a stranger, D !!!

Dixie

Love your new signature..LMAO for about 20mins straight..Ok Scarlett see ya around the plantation!

Ps- The Bette quote was good too..except I think Superwoman not only does her floors but mine as well- Take care sis....

piejam said:
Dixie

Love your new signature..LMAO for about 20mins straight..Ok Scarlett see ya around the plantation!

Ps- The Bette quote was good too..except I think Superwoman not only does her floors but mine as well- Take care sis....

D, girl friend, I love your sig line more
cool-smiley-008.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.