Newbie Needs Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spencer186

Feb 10, 2010
Long Island, NY
Brand new to inserts. I have a fireplace and I'm tired of building fires and having to sit on the hearth to get any warmth so I'm looking for an insert. A local dealer gave me a decent price on the Napolean 1100 but the reviews don't seem to have many happy buyers. I like the look of the Montpelier, but the price is a little steep. I'm looking for a flush mount to fit in an arched fire place. the width is 33" and the height at the sides is 23 with the top of the arch 29.25. The depth is 23" and the width at the back of the fireplace tapers in to 27in. I'm looking to keep the stove price under $2000 if possible. Any suggestions on what would be a good choice? Also, are there any companies who make an arched surround? I don't think clearances are an issue as the fireplace is brick up to the ceiling with a 16" hearth. I'm going to cover the brick with a stone veneer and add a bluestone hearth so I can get what ever size I need. The replies I've read to other posts are great. You guys are awsome. Also I have a 2 story house, about 1900 sq ft with the room the stove is going in at about 250. Thanks for any help!!

check the travis (LOPI) products 1250i & 1750i

Bump,

Hey guys this is my brother and you all know more about this than me. I don't know of any insert with an arched surround btw.

its really not a big deal to have a custom surround made for it.. we do it all the time, and any place that works w/ metal or ductwork could do it for you if you make a cardboard template.

You could also consider skipping the surround altogether, as those of us in this thread chose to do with our inserts.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50201/P0/

DrDocts is in a curved top fireplace, I think it looks really nice.
index.php

Thanks for all the helpful hints. You guys are great. I really want the Jotul Rockland, but my local retailer wants $3200 not including the liner kit. Too much for my wallet. Preston trading Post in CT wants 2600, so I'm looking for someone more local. Any suggestions?

spencer186 said:
Thanks for all the helpful hints. You guys are great. I really want the Jotul Rockland, but my local retailer wants $3200 not including the liner kit. Too much for my wallet. Preston trading Post in CT wants 2600, so I'm looking for someone more local. Any suggestions?

Yeah.

This may sound ridiculous, but --- go with what you "really want" regardless of what your wallet says. If you have to wait and save up for it for a while, do that. There's no point in settling for something less than what you want just because of a few hundred dollars. You'll be living with this thing for a long time. Get what you like.

I speak from experience. I wanted my particular fireplace, even though it was expensive. I waited for it for about six years before I was able to scrape together the funds needed. Now I have what I wanted, and I'm as happy as a clam. I'm sitting here nice and toasty right now looking at it. I could have settled for something less, but then I'd have to live with it.

Get what you like, even if you can't get it right now. You'll be glad you did.

IMHO.

-Speak

spencer186 said:

I would check with Fireplace Plus in NJ. The Rockland is an amazing insert!

Status
Not open for further replies.