Newbie with smoke odor question.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flheurb

Jan 7, 2013
Thanks in advance all. I've tried to search the forum for an answer that works for my situation, but have had no real luck. I recently purchased a house (1976) with a regular wood burning fireplace (no stove). It is a small arched fireplace and has a 2' long X 6" flue (or thereabouts). It's got a specific name, but I forgot what it is right now. Whenever I burn, there is an odor of smoke in the house. Nothing too strong and I generally don't mind as I like it, but my girlfriend can't stand it. Even if I'm cool with it, it's probably not supposed to be there. We've tried opening a window elsewhere in the house, opening the basement door, etc. This is also with the flue fully open. I'm not sure what else it can be. I've tried different wood types as well and it doesn't really seem to make much difference (even that store bought stuff, not duraflame). The only thing I've noticed on the boards is perhaps it has something to do with the chimney. The house used to have an oil burner and so, the chimney has 2 pipes (or whatever they are called) internally. The oil burner is gone and I've covered the pipe in the basement. Could it be that I haven't sealed it well enough? Could it be that I must seal it at the top of the chimney or it will get sucked in? I can say it seems a little smokier down there. Also as a side note, the ash drop in the fireplace isn't really secure either (as in I can just easily lift the whole thing out), so there's probably some air coming from below(?). Would that make any difference? Thanks all!

Mike

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Methinks perhaps you have found the problem all on your own. Yes, if you can seal off the top of that other flue it could help a lot and being as how it is not used anyway.... But I would not seal it off permanantly. I'd probably try stuffing a bunch of insulation into the top of that flue to see how that works and go from there. Perhaps others will chime in with some better suggestions.

In addition, if your wood is still too high in moisture that will make things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.