NORTHEASTER! BATTEN THE HATCHES!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jqgs214

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2006
Riverhead, NY
TAKE COVER! We are actually gonna get some winter here in the northeast. Interior CT may see up to 18" Post your snowfall amounts! I hate being on Long Island. Gonna change to rain AGAIN!!

and up to 3ft possible in west MA and capital district area.

Started snowing here around 9:30 this morning, just flurries, but calling for 14" max by tomorrow and then more cold and strong winds! Got the Scout gassed up and ready to plow, and gas for generator just in case. Not to mention wood pile filled on porch too! Let her snow.....

wxman said:
3ft possible in west MA

Wow!!! local news still only calling for up to 24" in certain parts of WMA (Berkshire/Franklin Counties) Hope you are right, Wxman... you looking at some updated info?? Fill us in!!

36" mark my be hit north of Albany. Most places will see around 2' in that area. Same old story, it all depends on the exact track and if the best lifting sits in one spot. 3ft would most likely be the highest amount recorded not a typical amount throughout a region. Timing of the two storms phasing will make a big difference also. Models still in disagreement over how far east the phasing will occur. I was leaning to a more west solution until last night and this morning when it kept cold are in with phasing farther east. Precipital water amount of 1.5-2.5 inches which relates to 1.5-2.5ft or more in the coldest spots where the fluff factor could push it to 3ft. just my $.02

With the warm air moving in on wednesday it looks like 2 senarios are opening up. 1- warm are moves in aloft creating sleet at first then freezing rain, than warmer surface air moves in and changes to all rain (mostly coastal areas) 2. by the time this warmer air moves in say to like the poughkeepsie area (spelling?) the renforcing cold air should kick back in and so chanig the sleet and freezing rain back to snow rather quickly. Hence the winter storm warnings from there north. In both senarios Ice accumulation is kept to a minimum, about 1/10th". To draw an exact lie before the storm really forms off the coast is ext to impossible but the National weather service has a pretty good handle on it. Any place that stays all snow will get 12+" easy.

We got about 6" here in Eastern Nebraska of this winter storm , we didnt want to hog it all to ourselves ( like MountainStoveGuy does in Colorado :) ) We thought we'd just take a little bit and send it on East~NorthEast.

As I posted in another, first 2 days for the Oslo, it may be getting its workout if this weather hits right. Good thing I have the wood inside for the next few days already. Stay warm and dry!!!
chad

They are calling for 6 to 10 today and 4 to 8 tonight with an additional 2 tommorrow. We have gusts up to 40 mph. We are under a blizzard warning. Hopefully theres enough wood in the basement for the next few days. At least we are warm!

c'mon guys update the profiles...

The best part for me is being on the upper cape in Mass, No matter what is predicted for me...........it is never right!

GVA said:
c'mon guys update the profiles...

The best part for me is being on the upper cape in Mass, No matter what is predicted for me...........it is never right!

you are right its the same here in western ma i am in the spring area whatever they say - half of it so if they are calling for 8-12 really means 4-6 lol though the boys west of me ... pitt greenfield great barrington will probably get what i have been praying for!

I agree, update your profiles
At least give something like Eastern Bumfu............ Ohio or something.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo looking for an excuse to stay home and play in the snow with the kids.
Get COLD, go inside and warm up next to the nice warm toasty fire (thats what my 4 yo son says anyway)

Looks like we are snow/sleet/rain :(

babalu87 said:
I agree, update your profiles
At least give something like Eastern Bumfu............ Ohio or something.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo looking for an excuse to stay home and play in the snow with the kids.
Get COLD, go inside and warm up next to the nice warm toasty fire (thats what my 4 yo son says anyway)

Looks like we are snow/sleet/rain :(

yeah us too they say total 5-10 so that means 2.5-5

Ha, Ha, better you guys than me! I'm ready for spring!

stoveguy2esw said:
getting freezing rain here, gawd i hate that stuff! rather have a foot of snow than a quarter inch of sleet

Yup...still getting wet sleet here, and freezing as it hits the ground.
The morning commute will be a show...

stoveguy2esw said:
getting freezing rain here, gawd i hate that stuff! rather have a foot of snow than a quarter inch of sleet

Same here Mike. Supposed to be a half inch of ice on the ground in the morning but there is a half inch of sleet laying there waiting for it to join it. Well, the 30-NC is running us out of the joint so I guess we will hunker down and hang out. This is one year to the day since the storm that knocked our power out for a week.

Two weeks worth of cigs. Two months of beer. Plenty of biscuits, bacon and pinto beans. Walk down the stairs to the office.

We are set.

New Yawkers call it a Northeaster?

Down home new englanders call it a good ol fashion Nor-easta!

I bought stuff to make beef stew. Throw it all in
the crock pot, go out and do a little snowplowing,
come home and sit by the stove with a nice bowl
of home made stew.

Snow-rain mix here :lol: so the weather guy says.

Just started snowing here in Putnam County NY. We're supposed to get around 10" when all is said and done. I am in a snow belt though, when they say 10 I usually get 16.

Roospike can have his snow back :)

Status
Not open for further replies.