Nothing caps the night off like bringing a half burning log through the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoct

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2008
Griffin, GA
How embarrassing. I had the stove good and hot but was ready for bed. Looks like a lot of room in the box so I grab a big size split for a good all night burn. Open it up and make sure there is enough room. Stick it in and it stops with 4" hanging out the door. So I rock it back and forth with no progress. By now it's already burning. I move it back a little and take the poker and start breaking up everything that's under it to try and get more room. I can't see the back at all. Try again and still no movement. So I get the wife and tell her to grab the door so I can make a run. I got the split out and doused it with water. Come in and the house is smokey. Wife looks at me like I'm an idiot. I look at me like I'm an idiot. So I look and way in the back is a 1/4 burned split right there blocking the way. I couldn't see it because it was right behind the big split. <sigh>. It hard to see the back of the firebox when it's going good. Put in 4 regular splits and go to bed smelling like smoke. I'm sure it won't be the only time this happens, but hopefully they are few and far between. No questions I wanted to ask... just wanted to let the rest of the board know that I was an idiot last night.

Done that before- My eyes are always bigger than my stomach/ or should I say stove. hahalol!

I'm laughing with you brother!!!!!!!!

Subtract the wife and I've done that before. Manage to unlock and open the door with one hand and run outside to my deck. The split wasn't burning completely but it was smoking like mad.

Jay

I feel your pain.

What I've got in the habit of doing is cutting some of the longer, fatter dried splits in half before bringing them into the house. I keep them in the firewood ring closest to the stove. As I'm getting ready to load up for the overnight burn, I'll lay out some of those short fat pieces on the hearth and eye up how I'm going to place them. The shorter ones give me more options on how they can be arranged in the firebox. I also tend to go for a short one if I happen to wake up in the middle of the night. I'm able to just open the door and chuck one in vs maybe getting stuck with a "hanger". :p

Well at least you didn't burn the carpet drdoct.

I almost did the same thing. I put a large split in the box and saw it may not go in, and it caught up in no time. I got lucky and squeezed it in. I know I'll be doing the same dance out the door sooner or later.

A lot of us has done the same thing or something very similar. The good thing is if it happens here we just throw it outside in the snow. Then the next day we dig it out and burn it before anyone comes to see it and ask what happened. lol

Once the snow is all melted you can pick up the partially burnt splits, scattered around the yard, that you threw out the front door while they were flaming. I usually have a couple.

For me since I burn in the basement, I keep an ash bucket nearby with a few days old ashes and stuff the thing into it when I get a burning log that doesn't fit. Note: This only works when your ashes have been sitting a few days and are complely out. If not another issue arises. :roll:

Nope - never done it. There ain't no pictures, so it never happened. Thats my story and I'm stick'in to it.

As embarrassing as that may have been, I think the response you received from your wife because of this decision is much better than what you would have received had you started the chainsaw in the living room in an attempt to remove those 4 inches :)

That is the best, bad decision you could have made.

pen

Or if you had stumbled on a fireplace tool and dropped the burning wood on her lap. It can always
be worse.

Been there, done that. It's no fun, my kids laugh everytime at me. The wife says "when are you going to learn".

LOL... I reckon we've all done that. Some of us more than twice.

I would be willing to bet that 95% of the damage that woodstoves sustain (cracked bricks, bent parts, broken glass) happens during moments like this.

Eddy

...just wanted to let the rest of the board know that I was an idiot last night

As my granddad used to say, once an idiot - always an idiot.

I've done this too, but wife and kids have always thought of me as an idiot........

been there done that bought the coffee mug ,i keep a tape measure by the stove for this very reason ,if its questionable it gets measured before the attempt is made and its usually too long

I've come really close to doing the same thing, Give me time and I'll have a 1/2 burnt split heading towards the front door!!

Status
Not open for further replies.