Old All Nighter install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TAC_Double

Feb 13, 2008
SW Ohio
Hello All,

I have an old All Nighter wood stove that we have been talking about installing in the house. I have a few questions about this before I go much further.

1. The stove has an 8in output to the chimney. I was planning on using 6in, but have been told that I have to use 8in since that is what the stove was designed to use. Is this true?

2. Would I be better off buying a newer stove so that my clearances to the walls is much small or will it make a difference?

3. I have been told that the All Nighters were good stoves, but very inefficient and need constant cleaning. Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks for any info!

They were good for their day; now they are very outdated in terms of efficiency and clean burn. You would be best served by getting an efficient modern EPA approved stove. Most have a 6 inch output, which is what you need. Also, they will use far less wood for the same heat and not generate a lot of creosote in your flue.
There will be many sales going on starting not too soon, in fact Home Depot and Lowe's have them on now. And, stove dealers of higher end products are now very interested in moving inventory.
If you are going to get into burning wood, why not get into it with the best you can get now?

My old "MOE" had a 6" pipe It was the largest Allnighter produced. It was also a shiny hard creosote chimney fire producing machine. I loved the idea of not using propane but was soon discouraged when my house was full of smoke and I was cleaning the stove pipe every couple of weeks. Yes my wood was not perfectly seasoned but wow what a terrible experience.

Last summer I called out a chimney service that found evidence of cracked tiles from past chimney fires. I gave up the Allnighter and bought a new stove and chimney now I enjoy safe fires and a warm house. I can't say enough about the long burn times -VS- the constant feeding of the old stove.

I'm so sorry to discourage you but this is from my actual Allnighter experience I never would of thought low tech -vs- high tech would apply to a friggin wood stove!

One other thing to add. I had thought no way is a smaller cast or soapstone stove going to heat like the MOE did. I was way off with that thought. Although my stove is large the heat output is a lot better and lasts hours longer.

We had a Moe in the house growing up (I'm not positive, but I also think it had a 6" pipe). I agree with the rest here - time for a new stove. Even though the All-nighter did heat the house, it did go through a lot of wood, and was definately a creosote factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.