On to the next phase...burning! Many thanks to you all!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TooColdHere

Jan 28, 2013
Kent Island, Maryland
I finally got the old propane fireplace out and the new Alderlea T5 installed. (Pics below) I have been collecting, splitting and stacking since I found you all this past winter. Can't wait for the first break in fires! (And begin the kitchen redo and hardwood floors this winter.) :)
Thank you all again for all the advice and wisdom. See ya by the hearth soon!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 201
  • Alderlea T5.JPG
    Alderlea T5.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 194
What a difference! That oughta warm the place up. Very nice. Rick

Reactions: ScotO
Excellent. That finished out very nicely. You're really going to enjoy the added warmth and lower bills.

Wow! What a classy looking install right there! I gotta say that looks ten times better than that original gas fireplace...and it's gonna put out ten times the heat too! I can almost visualize the stockpot of chili warming on that stove on a cold, snowy day!

I'm betting you feel like a kid waiting for Christmas (waiting for the cold weather to get here)! I know how you feel, I've felt that way since I had to shut my stoves down in the spring!!;)

Well done!

Reactions: Trilifter7
Excellent. That finished out very nicely. You're really going to enjoy the added warmth and lower bills.

Thank you begreen and fossil! I just had a new heat pump and propane furnace installed and hope they NEVER kick on! Filled up my 500gal tank and want it to last 2-3 years...instead of 2-3 tanks per year. :)

Wow! What a classy looking install right there! I gotta say that looks ten times better than that original gas fireplace...and it's gonna put out ten times the heat too! I can almost visualize the stockpot of chili warming on that stove on a cold, snowy day!

I'm betting you feel like a kid waiting for Christmas (waiting for the cold weather to get here)! I know how you feel, I've felt that way since I had to shut my stoves down in the spring!!;)

Well done!

You have NO IDEA! Wait..you HAVE THE EXACT IDEA!! Hahaha I have the AC down to 72 JUST to get us feeling cold. I am READY for an arctic blast. I am looking at some appropriate homebrew recipes for the new kegerator to compliment that chili!

How is the wood supply looking? The stove is going to be happiest and heat the best with nicely seasoned wood.

How is the wood supply looking? The stove is going to be happiest and heat the best with nicely seasoned wood.

I just received 2 cords of 18-20% moisture hardwood delivered today that was split last year. (I may get another in case.) A few months ago I got about 2-3 cords of large rounds that I have been splitting and stacking as time and weather permits. They were cut down about 18 months ago, I'll likely burn that next year. I have another 1-2 cords coming that will be good this/next year and figure I can mix some in, if needed. My plan is to start buying green for 2-3 years from now? Oh...and a cord of slab wood that seems excellent in the outdoor firepit...burns completely to an ash. Any suggestions?

Very nice!! That is a great investment there! Did you do most of the work yourself?

I just received 2 cords of 18-20% moisture hardwood delivered today that was split last year. (I may get another in case.) A few months ago I got about 2-3 cords of large rounds that I have been splitting and stacking as time and weather permits. They were cut down about 18 months ago, I'll likely burn that next year. I have another 1-2 cords coming that will be good this/next year and figure I can mix some in, if needed. My plan is to start buying green for 2-3 years from now? Oh...and a cord of slab wood that seems excellent in the outdoor firepit...burns completely to an ash. Any suggestions?
You've got the basics down.....but you know we preach the three year rule (especially for oak)

Get three years ahead C/S/S and you'll never have to worry about your wood.....it won't let you down. I top covered all of mine this year, but you should at least consider top covering the wood you are planning on burning in a given winter by fall....that will keep the fall monsoons that we seem to get here in the mid-Atlantic from ruining your fun....

Thanks! I did NONE of the work myself. I had the plan/visual of it all, then a great NFI Certified contractor! Work got in the way with a few trips (that's why WORK is a 4 letter word) so he took it and ran. I really looked forward to doing it myself, but would probably still not be done.

Sounds like you are doing fine if you can resplit some of the one year old wood and it still reads 18-20%. Getting at least a year ahead will definitely pay off. Be sure to take some shots when that beauty has a fire in its belly. We love pics of FIRE!

Reactions: ScotO
You've got the basics down.....but you know we preach the three year rule (especially for oak)

Get three years ahead C/S/S and you'll never have to worry about your wood.....it won't let you down. I top covered all of mine this year, but you should at least consider top covering the wood you are planning on burning in a given winter by fall....that will keep the fall monsoons that we seem to get here in the mid-Atlantic from ruining your fun....

Great point. I'll have to get everything arranged for covering. Is a consistent 18-20% ok on the moisture meter for THIS winter? I didn't realize you are fairly close. Do you think 2 cords is likely enough for a 1600sqft home? I'm near Annapolis. Never used the propane fireplace, but never had a stove either. I'm hoping for 24/7 burns as much as I can...barring trips and getting the family involved.

Clean and sharp looking installation.

Thanks! I did NONE of the work myself. I had the plan/visual of it all, then a great NFI Certified contractor! Work got in the way with a few trips (that's why WORK is a 4 letter word) so he took it and ran. I really looked forward to doing it myself, but would probably still not be done.

I understand completely. Sometimes there's just not enough time. Anyway, your contractor and your checkbook did some mighty fine work there, and since you worked for your money you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor even as you're enjoying the fruits of his for which you paid.

Sounds like you are doing fine if you can resplit some of the one year old wood and it still reads 18-20%. Getting at least a year ahead will definitely pay off. Be sure to take some shots when that beauty has a fire in its belly. We love pics of FIRE!

Great point! I'll split tomorrow and check! I will certainly post fire pics....maybe let it duke it out with the AC soon!

Great point. I'll have to get everything arranged for covering. Is a consistent 18-20% ok on the moisture meter for THIS winter? I didn't realize you are fairly close. Do you think 2 cords is likely enough for a 1600sqft home? I'm near Annapolis. Never used the propane fireplace, but never had a stove either. I'm hoping for 24/7 burns as much as I can...barring trips and getting the family involved.
You're really going to be pushing it on 2 cords. I've got around 2800 sq. ft. here and I use on average around 7 cord a year, give or take......that's going 24/7, pretty much from mid October right up into May.....

18-20%, if that is on a freshly re-split piece, isn't too bad, but it's not optimal either. That would suffice getting you through this year, but you want to make sure you check your flue and cap frequently (you should do this regardless, being a newbie wood burner) until you know the characteristics of your stove, flue, wood, etc....

I think you'll be fine burning the 18-20% stuff this winter, but try to get three years ahead. You'll hear us saying this all of the time on here, and you'll thank us for doing it eventually.....

I was in your shoes not so long ago....now I'm sitting on 30 cord of wood, at over 4 years ahead! I never have to worry about my wood being seasoned, it has plenty of time to do so......
And in regards to covering, you only want to TOP COVER the wood....don't cover the sides as it cannot get air if you do that.....

I understand completely. Sometimes there's just not enough time. Anyway, your contractor and your checkbook did some mighty fine work there, and since you worked for your money you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor even as you're enjoying the fruits of his for which you paid.

It actually worked out well. I got the stove for a ridiculous price (2010 floor sample but never fired) and they had all piping for pricing my installer wished he had. Super nice people (actually in Central PA, Scotty!) that made a dream something I couldn't pass up. Plus...this forum and all of you people keep the fires stoked!

It actually worked out well. I got the stove for a ridiculous price (2010 floor sample but never fired) and they had all piping for pricing my installer wished he had. Super nice people (actually in Central PA, Scotty!) that made a dream something I couldn't pass up. Plus...this forum and all of you people keep the fires stoked!
where at? Fireplace Creations?

You're really going to be pushing it on 2 cords. I've got around 2800 sq. ft. here and I use on average around 7 cord a year, give or take......that's going 24/7, pretty much from mid October right up into May.....

18-20%, if that is on a freshly re-split piece, isn't too bad, but it's not optimal either. That would suffice getting you through this year, but you want to make sure you check your flue and cap frequently (you should do this regardless, being a newbie wood burner) until you know the characteristics of your stove, flue, wood, etc....

I think you'll be fine burning the 18-20% stuff this winter, but try to get three years ahead. You'll hear us saying this all of the time on here, and you'll thank us for doing it eventually.....

I was in your shoes not so long ago....now I'm sitting on 30 cord of wood, at over 4 years ahead! I never have to worry about my wood being seasoned, it has plenty of time to do so......
And in regards to covering, you only want to TOP COVER the wood....don't cover the sides as it cannot get air if you do that.....

Wait.....WHAAAT?? 7 cords??? I think we will probably be Nov-Mar as things are fairly mild otherwise. We have a lot of glass so things warm up in the daytime, but fires at night may be nice. Ya got me convinced...buyin' and stackin' more in my near future!

Wait.....WHAAAT?? 7 cords??? I think we will probably be Nov-Mar as things are fairly mild otherwise. We have a lot of glass so things warm up in the daytime, but fires at night may be nice. Ya got me convinced...buyin' and stackin' more in my near future!
with your 1600 ft, I'd guestimate around 3-4 cords would get you through....

You should be fine with 3-4 cords. I'm just across the ditch from you in Annapolis and I burn about 3 cords in a season. Granted I've only been burning for two seasons and its has not been too terribly cold the past few winters. I've managed to build up my supply to ten cords just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.