Outdoor Wood Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steel chimnia with grill , cook, practise top down starts, patio heat and a place to burn off yard debris.

wrenchmonster said:
Just wondering how many people have an outdoor wood stove? If so, what do you use it for? Smoking? Patio heater? Cooking? Sauna? Trash burn?
Do you have a pic of the old clunker?

Sorry Marty, no picture. It's a step stove measures roughly 22x26 and 28 inches tall. 6 inch flue on the top. It's in great condition, but I'm also willing to let it go. Changed my stove wanted ad into a for sale ad, lol.

I would consider using it outside, but Yakima, WA is a desert. It's not the wet, squishy WA people think of when they think Pacific NW. If I lived on the wet side of the mountains I'd definately keep it and use it outside. Regardless, I was just curious as to what people use their old wood stoves for.

-Kevin

Our Board of health just passed its Outoor wood boilers regulations they have to be 1000 feet from the nearest home 60' from the home/ building is serves 900 ' from a street and basically adopted the State of Ny Epa regs concerning them OH they have to be on a 5 acre lotor larger and only can burn seasoned wood Our town od 11/ 12,000 now has 6 one is in a residential neighborhood and complaints are increasing now that its cold. Remember this is the board of health I have no jusisdiction in their matters This all but bans their installations in our town.
12 other towns are about to adopt similar codes as ours. There is a place and a use for them, but the industry has their head in the sand and didnot clean up their act.

basically adopted the State of Ny Epa regs concerning them

So how do they have to run per emissions standards ? How are they grouped ?

I have an outdoor 'fire pit'. Basically a hollowed out circle, approximately four feet across, surrounded by field stones. We use it as a place to relax and drink a beer or three on nice evenings. Also use it to burn debris from the yard and some cardboard.

I am thinking of building something a bit nicer adjacent to the new patio we poured recently. I was thinking of something along the lines of an outdoor fireplace that could double as a grill.

MrGriz said:
I have an outdoor 'fire pit'. Basically a hollowed out circle, approximately four feet across, surrounded by field stones. We use it as a place to relax and drink a beer or three on nice evenings. Also use it to burn debris from the yard and some cardboard.

I am thinking of building something a bit nicer adjacent to the new patio we poured recently. I was thinking of something along the lines of an outdoor fireplace that could double as a grill.

ditto on the fire pit and on the hopes for a homemade grill. Could you keep us posted on your plans for this thing?

(funny story re firepit: We are in south/central indiana, but one summer had a woman from california renting from us. We got a roaring bonfire going in the firepit, which is about 8' across and 35' behind the house. The chick from California started raising holy hell, wouldn't come anywhere near it, saying we were going to burn down the whole neighborhood and threatening to call the fire dept. We calmly explained to her that indiana is WET (we were not having a drought) and difficult to catch on fire compared to california. I don't think she believed us, but backyard bonfires are standard around here, and I've never known of one to spread.

MrGriz said:
(funny story re firepit: We are in south/central indiana, but one summer had a woman from california renting from us. We got a roaring bonfire going in the firepit, which is about 8' across and 35' behind the house. The chick from California started raising holy hell, wouldn't come anywhere near it, saying we were going to burn down the whole neighborhood and threatening to call the fire dept. We calmly explained to her that indiana is WET (we were not having a drought) and difficult to catch on fire compared to california. I don't think she believed us, but backyard bonfires are standard around here, and I've never known of one to spread.

My humour story on outdoor fire useage.... By Town Bylaw, "outdoor brush burning" is only allowed during certain limited times, and only after prior notice to the Fire Dept. "Cooking fires" are allowed at any time, or at least aren't prohibited. Thus if one wants to get rid of stuff by outdoor burning, the correct approach is to have a long stick and a package of hot dogs near the fire. If the FD shows up, "its a cooking fire" for the hot dogs as soon as you get a good bed of coals from the cord of brush that is going up in flames... If the FD doesn't show up, put the package back in the freezer for the next time you need a fire...

It is known as creative legal interpretation - please define "cooking fire" as opposed to "brush pile fire" :p

Gooserider (edited to fix quoting - like to give proper credit)

Status
Not open for further replies.