Paint on BKK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My trouble over heating is in the fall & spring. It gets in the 20s at night & 40 daytime & some days the sun (it still has some heat until next month) helps heat the house. I have the stove as low as I can burn it during the day & night. It's more the outside weather conditions that vary that are hard to keep up with. When winter sets in, I do like you descried & don't get the 76 ° house temps.
When we are getting high 30 to mid 40s at night, 50 - 60 days I make small fires at night that are out or almost out during the daytime, or the house gets in the 80s.
Lately, house temp have stabilized, day time it's getting to the high 30s nights in the 20s, full loads, 24 hr burns. Soon, 20s will be our highs, but still no need to crank it up much until we get the below zero temps (usually Jan & Feb).
I burn 5-1/2 cords for the season, Oct - April, (last winter usage) so the stove & the house are pretty efficient.
Our birch tested out : 23,600,000 BTU/Cord, so pretty good wood when comparing it to other hardwoods. I mean it's not oak or locust, but it the best we have.
http://forestry.alaska.gov/pdfs/08BTUFirewoodHandout.pdf[/quote

You don't get below 0 until January down there? We are suppose to get below 0 tonight our highs have been in the teens with lows in single digits. With exception of the chinook monday/ Tuesday it brought it back up to 30 s for a day or 2

bsj425 said:
My trouble over heating is in the fall & spring. It gets in the 20s at night & 40 daytime & some days the sun (it still has some heat until next month) helps heat the house. I have the stove as low as I can burn it during the day & night. It's more the outside weather conditions that vary that are hard to keep up with. When winter sets in, I do like you descried & don't get the 76 ° house temps.
When we are getting high 30 to mid 40s at night, 50 - 60 days I make small fires at night that are out or almost out during the daytime, or the house gets in the 80s.
Lately, house temp have stabilized, day time it's getting to the high 30s nights in the 20s, full loads, 24 hr burns. Soon, 20s will be our highs, but still no need to crank it up much until we get the below zero temps (usually Jan & Feb).
I burn 5-1/2 cords for the season, Oct - April, (last winter usage) so the stove & the house are pretty efficient.
Our birch tested out : 23,600,000 BTU/Cord, so pretty good wood when comparing it to other hardwoods. I mean it's not oak or locust, but it the best we have.
http://forestry.alaska.gov/pdfs/08BTUFirewoodHandout.pdf[/quote

You don't get below 0 until January down there? We are suppose to get below 0 tonight our highs have been in the teens with lows in single digits. With exception of the chinook monday/ Tuesday it brought it back up to 30 s for a day or 2

Close to the salt water, when it freezes, it starts getting colder. Around Jan. Had a year that it didn't get below 0. ;)
My area weather Avgs: Click record lows & it gets scry though.
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/99687

HotCoals said:
bsj425 said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80891/

this thread may be of interest to you then. Same thing happened similiar BS response from dealer Same purchase/born on date looks like they are putting together some sort of class action if you want to take it that far.
Thanks..I'll check out that link soon!
I would be happy with a spare cat though and call it good.
If it had been after 3 or 4 years I would not have said anything..but just 4 months in though was a heart breaker of sorts..wife was more upset then me..it was 3200 with tax.

What store did you buy it from?
Did you buy it from Williamson ACE Hardware?
They're a bunch of f'ing morons.

After my experience with them, I found another BK dealer who's actually a member on these forums and went to his shop and purchased my Chinook from him instead.
It was about an hour extra away for me so about 3 hours one way total... But it was so worth it to deal with someone who knows an incredible deal about the stoves he sells.

It was fireside chatts over near syracuse.
I highly recommend him over Williamson (I assume you bought it from williamson since they're right near rochester!)

Hass said:
HotCoals said:
bsj425 said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80891/

this thread may be of interest to you then. Same thing happened similiar BS response from dealer Same purchase/born on date looks like they are putting together some sort of class action if you want to take it that far.
Thanks..I'll check out that link soon!
I would be happy with a spare cat though and call it good.
If it had been after 3 or 4 years I would not have said anything..but just 4 months in though was a heart breaker of sorts..wife was more upset then me..it was 3200 with tax.

What store did you buy it from?
Did you buy it from Williamson ACE Hardware?
They're a bunch of f'ing morons.

After my experience with them, I found another BK dealer who's actually a member on these forums and went to his shop and purchased my Chinook from him instead.
It was about an hour extra away for me so about 3 hours one way total... But it was so worth it to deal with someone who knows an incredible deal about the stoves he sells.

It was fireside chatts over near syracuse.
I highly recommend him over Williamson (I assume you bought it from williamson since they're right near rochester!)

Yeah..Williamson ..I used to live in Sodus..most of my life.
They have been selling stoves forever but i doubt I buy one from them again.
They would not budge a penny on price.
If it was not for the kick back the gov did I would have not bought at all probably.
One of my bro in laws used to work for them for years even.

BTW..how do you like that Chinook?

BKVP is on the forums here, he's the vice president of blaze king. If you haven't send him a message already, you might want to do so to see what he says about your problem! His name is Chris, seems very nice from what I can tell. I told him about my experience at williamson, and he said they've been selling blaze king stoves for many many years. The guy I spoke with didn't even know what the Chinook was... he asked me for a model number for it. He wanted to know what type of door I wanted on it (It only comes in one door). Told me he would call BK and get pricing on it since he doesn't have it. The part that annoyed me, was when I first called him he said he had several in stock but when the cold weather came he sold them all after I told him I had cash and would drive out there that day to buy it. Anyway, it took him 3 days to get back to me on pricing. If someone knows exactly what options they want on the stove, have cash, why would you not take the time to get the info and sell the stove?

Anyway, I found a member on these forums (Frank from Fireside Chatts) and shot him an email and explained my situation... within about an hour I had the stove paid for and it was being shipped out to him. Then the next weekend I drove down and picked it up... He even lit up his display Chinook for me :) (at least I'd like to think it was for me!) Was a day and night difference between the two dealers. Frank knew all the answers to questions I asked, and helped me with my chimney situation.

As far as how do I like it? Well it looks nice. haha! I haven't lit it up yet. It's still waiting to be installed... I'm still putting up the drywall in the part of the house it's going in, I should have it all done tonight then I'll get the stove framed and installed this weekend. I'll probably get my permit back next week, so I can offically get it inspected to burn. I'll be posting up my findings in a detailed post later. Probably an ongoing post, I'm eager to see how far I can push the burn time.

BK states that it says 30 hour burn time on 40lbs of softwood. With the size firebox it has, I should be able to cram in 100+ lbs of pallet hardwood... Since the BK always burns at a constant temperature reguardless of wood type... The math shows an incredibly long burn time of a few days. But in reality... Probably not. :p We'll see after some experiments next month I hope!

Thanks Hass..funny thing too that Williamson prides themselves about selling stoves for like 40 years.
I'll send pm to BKVP soon.
Other then the paint I am super happy with the stove!
BTW..I drive out your way about once a month..to a place on Ledge road..I'm sure you know where..lol.

BTW..I painted it today..looks way better then it did but not like it did new.
fall2011004.jpg

Now by pipe looks off center..dang.

Looks great with those BTUs cranking off of it.
An E/W loader eh?
Good Job!
Is the pipe just a bit off perpendicular or is it the camera angel.
Looks to me the stove needs slide 1" toward the tool rack.

HotCoals said:

Looks like you're gonna have to slide it over an inch or two. Good thing these things are light! :p

bogydave said:
Looks great with those BTUs cranking off of it.
An E/W loader eh?
Good Job!
Is the pipe just a bit off perpendicular or is it the camera angel.
Looks to me the stove needs slide 1" toward the tool rack.
I burn e/w till the cold weather gets here...seems to burn a little slower..dunno.
Yeah..I need to move it over! lol
Lowes didn't have any slip joint today ..dang..so I put it back the way it was..what a pain.

BrowningBAR said:
HotCoals said:

Looks like you're gonna have to slide it over an inch or two. Good thing these things are light! :p

Yeah..and it's hot now!
I'll just tell people it makes the smoke go away from the house..lol.

HotCoals said:
BrowningBAR said:
HotCoals said:

Yeah..and it's hot now!
I'll just tell people it makes the smoke go away from the house..lol.

Good one, LOL :lol:
I think you are right, or maybe left. But the little visible smoke there is, is going one way or the other ;)

I was just playing with the stove.
It was cruising nicely at about 400 stove top-IR..cat was half on the probe.
So I open it up for a few mins..lot's of flame then shut it down.
Cat probe started climbing pretty fast(almost to the end of scale) as cat got way orange...so I turn the fans on.
Probe starts dropping but the ir gun showed the top was getting hotter..after a few mins the probe was at 2:00 but the ir showed 650.
After another min or two the ir temp did start to drop to maybe 600..so I turned the fans off..it did climb back to 650..but stayed there.

So it seems with the fan on the spring will cool pretty fast making you think the stove top is also..but nope.
But that said the fans do help some..just not as much as I would think.
This was a unscientific test..your results may very..lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.