PE T5 can't keep temp under 700 and short burn times with full load . i think i have an air leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds like just the problem I had.

To check it out you need the following:
11mm or 7/16" socket
Short socket extension and wrench

Instructions:

Make sure the door is closed and latched
Fully open right hand side trivet
Look carefully in the corner formed by the trivet and the stove top.
You will see the head of a hex bolt sitting there (ignore the adjacent cap screw)
Using the socket, loosen the hex bolt (just remove tension, do NOT totally unscrew it).
Now apply pressure to the top of the door using something that won't catch fire right away. I used the end of a split.
While holding the pressure on the top of the door, re-tighten the bolt you just loosened.
It may be helpful to have someone help you, but I held the socket in one hand and applied pressure with the other. Some may be less handy..
After re-tightening the bolt, make sure that the draft control is closed and compare the flame activity to before. In my case there was an unbelievable difference.

There is a second culprit that you may need to deal with, and that is the fixed air inlet directly below the ash lip on the left side. This is a hole that feeds air to the front of the firebox and is about the size of a 10c piece and has no control (open all the time)

Instructions:
Get a piece of tinfoil about 4" wide the full width of the roll.
Fold it multiple times until you get a square about 2"x2".
Now place the end of a pen or pencil in the center of the square and roll up the edges of the foil around the pencil to get a short cylinder about 1" long.
Take this cylinder and carefully (to avoid burns) insert the closed end into the opening of the hole. It is a pretty hard place to see anything, so you will need to use a mirror or feel your way (don't try this without gloves). When you get it about half way in, expand out the open end so that it will stay put. It may sound awkward, but it actually works OK.

In the attached pictures, you get an idea how I modified my primary air inlet to reduce the minimum opening. I took a thin sheet of steel and cut a rectangle with tin snips. I then folded the back over 180 degrees and squeezed it tight in a vise. Now I slipped this sheet UNDER the primary air control (between the flap and the stove bottom) until I was able to pinch the existing sheet metal control between the 2 layers at the back of the sheet. I had to force my extension plate in place with some persuasion of a small hammer and a cold chisel, but there was no welding, no stove cement and it fits as tight as can be. The rectangle is long enough to completely cover the primary air inlet when the lever is fully closed.

Of all the above, the door hinge correction was the biggest issue. After that, suppression of the extra air inlet made a significant difference to the stove control. Finally, with the change to the primary air control, if the stove gets up real hot because I didn't pay attention after reloading, I can now fully shut the air and get the stove temperature well down in about 5 minutes, whereas before, once it got hot it just ran away and only cooled when the fuel was exhausted.

Attachments

• T5-1.JPG
    T5-1.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 300
  • t5-2.JPG
    t5-2.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 285
  • T5-3.JPG
    T5-3.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 296
OK well on 2/23/09 i spoke to my dealer and someone from the distributor they are supposed to be sending me a baffle gasket. i called yesterday and they told me it's on order. since then i have been keeping the temp under control by only putting 2-3 small splits in at a time i can keep it in the 600's that way. when i get the gasket i well go through the burn time tests again. until we eliminate that variable the guy in tech support dose not want to proceed. i have noticed that with the slower loading i am getting less chunks of UN-burned wood when it cools down and more white ash. I am going to try adjusting the door hinges but not until the tech support tells me there is nothing else they can do. at this point i want them to OK any thing i change so i it turns out to be something that got assembled wrong they are responsible. after they give up i will try more on my own.

i will keep you informed as things happen i may be burning all the way in to June at this rate

johnd said:
OK well on 2/23/09 i spoke to my dealer and someone from the distributor they are supposed to be sending me a baffle gasket. i called yesterday and they told me it's on order. since then i have been keeping the temp under control by only putting 2-3 small splits in at a time i can keep it in the 600's that way. when i get the gasket i well go through the burn time tests again. until we eliminate that variable the guy in tech support dose not want to proceed. i have noticed that with the slower loading i am getting less chunks of UN-burned wood when it cools down and more white ash. I am going to try adjusting the door hinges but not until the tech support tells me there is nothing else they can do. at this point i want them to OK any thing i change so i it turns out to be something that got assembled wrong they are responsible. after they give up i will try more on my own.

i will keep you informed as things happen i may be burning all the way in to June at this rate

I just don't see the baffle gasket causing your problem. But do as the tech says and rule it out.
Keep us posted.

Ditto Hog's comment. Plus small splits will burn hot and fast.

Have you cleaned out the stove completely and checked the ash cleanout trap door? Also the dollar bill test of the door gasket all the way around? If you do not feel comfortable with adjusting the door, at least insist to have the dealer check it when the baffle gasket is delivered.

It seems that alot of us have had to readjust the door, the dealer/installers for the most part seem to just "plug and play" and i believe Tom relates that the doors are distributor added, and not at the PE plant or dealer level.

PE's Vista Series, Super Series and Summit Series stoves all ship without doors, but the Alderlea Series models come with the doors attached. We have had a couple of instances where the door hardware rattled loose in transit, which we have addressed with the technique KeithO describes above.

Status
Not open for further replies.