Pellet price increases

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caribfan

Feb 4, 2012
Southern Maine
Newbie here. I see a few references in different threads to steadily increasing pellet prices over the years - especially in 2008. Can anyone give any specifics. I just bought a Mt Vernon AE fs and have visions of saving "some major bank" as my son would say. I know everything goes up in price over time how much has the cost of pellets gone up over recent years? I have read the mega-thread on Pellets Direct in southern Mass so I know that there are some deals to be had but generally how much have prices increased?

I believe prices are higher in your area but in all they seem to be steady between 4-6$ a bag. Always cheaper to buy per ton and pellets seem to be more available now more then in the past years. Always look at big dept stores like Lowes and Home Depot for good pellets at good prices. I cant see pellets ever getting to the level of oil and gas prices! Has been cheaper and worth it using my stove to heat my home.

generally speaking, pellet prices are cheaper in late Spring than fall and winter....but thats not always the case. In 15 or so years of selling them, we've seen prices all over the place, depending upon the deals the pellet manufacturers were offering at the time......

This is only my second year heating, but I have realized big savings over oil.

The most important thing about it is that my house is a lot warmer and comfortable with pellet heat.

I compare a ton of pellets to a hundred gallons of oil for cost.

Best decision we ever made, getting a pellet stove.

I started burning in 1999, Pellet prices then were $165 to $185 per ton. Box stores weren't in the game then. Pellets were found at lumber yards, stove shop, grain/feed storess and pellet houses.

Fast forward to today and we can get them anywhere and even the super markets have them. Prices range from $199 to well over $310/ton. Some area's have them cheaper. But I am using my area/region just as an example.

The Pellets direct deal is a rarity, Due to a warm season and an over stock. Some pellet dealers get caught with an over purchase. Not being able to sell them in a certain time frame and the mill expecting payment. The mill steps in and reclaims the goods or hires some place to handle it for them. Circumstance's prevent them from being sold as first run goods. So they sell them at discounts to move them quickly. Anything with water damage will be sold as horse beading. But even those pallets can be restacked/repackaged to get the most product to the pellet burners. There's more to it, But just trying to keep it simple. Last season Squire Lumber had a similar deal with Okies. There was another place that had a deal on LG's. A heck of a deal if a pellet house in your area has one. Don't see that down here.

oldmountvernon said:
Dont let me know about these deals anymore. they make me crazy and go into a frenzy. BUT if you happen to hear Mr Warm looking to dump a load in these circumstances i have a stack of cash hiding in the safe labeled Operation Warm :p

Have you looked for professional help? I think you got issues and need rehab or something!

j-takeman said:
oldmountvernon said:
Dont let me know about these deals anymore. they make me crazy and go into a frenzy. BUT if you happen to hear Mr Warm looking to dump a load in these circumstances i have a stack of cash hiding in the safe labeled Operation Warm :p

Have you looked for professional help? I think you got issues and need rehab or something!

Hi I'm OMV and I'm a pellet aholic /pig. Hi OMV.

will711 said:
j-takeman said:
oldmountvernon said:

the first step on the road to recovery is realizing there's a problem......obviously many folks here just dont realize it....

Lousyweather said:
will711 said:
j-takeman said:
oldmountvernon said:

the first step on the road to recovery is realizing there's a problem......obviously many folks here just dont realize it....

I realize I don't have enough space! I have no other problem! :red:

Because of my location, I do my pellet shopping at the local big boxes, plus I qualify for a military discount. From what I can tell my local pricing is based on the price of gas. When I see gas prices rising, I know pellets are going up also. With the drama rising in the Gulf, I expect prices to go up.

Pellets will likely always be cheaper than oil, gas or electric. Why? Simply put, heating with pellets is work! The fuel must be purchased, loaded, unloaded, stacked, etc. The stove needs to be maintained, cleaned, filled, etc. The other methods are more convenient, require little operator input, etc. and so will always be more expensive. Yes, pellet prices can fluctuate as energy prices drive people to try pellets to save money. Some will stay, and some won't, lazy will go back to the big three. Pellet supply will simply increase to meet demand. Pellet heat is out there on the fringe, a very small percentage of the heating business. Demand would have to increase radically for there ever to be a shortage of raw material. RT

In 08 when oil crashed, Pellets hung out for a while and oil was cheaper. Saw lots of stove get ditched on CL and local papers. Also in a pellet shortage in early 2K we saw pellets rival oil prices. Probably a wash.

Natural gas is still cheaper than pellets. But not available in all area's.

Some area's have cheap hydro/Cheap propane. Lots of this is regional. Just like pellet prices.

Been burning pellets for 8 or 9 years now, pellet prices fluctuate just as everything else, oil/lp/nat, etc. I've been seeing threads by people heating by other means (eg:cordwood) stating that they will never switch to pellets because they don't want to find themselves as 'victim' to market prices changes, etc.

My opinion? I've saved tons of money heating with pellets in the past 8 years, now that I'm heating 100% w/pellets - I'm going insane with all the savings! Crap, I've been raiding the local home depot for the last 3 weeks getting decent pellets for $3.90/bag!

As with anything, it is a gamble and things can change at any time - but, I think I speak for all us pellet pigs that we are far ahead of the game right now, relaxing with a big warm smile!

Tough to buy natural gas, propane, or oil when its cheap and store it. I don't know if pellets have a shelf life however I'm pretty sure a year is no big deal stored correctly? So if you keep your eyes on and find the deals you can heat much, much cheaper than most any other method. The only thing better I can see would be wood. That you have ultimate control over but its a lot more work. RT

oldmountvernon said:
rwthomas1 said:
Tough to buy natural gas, propane, or oil when its cheap and store it. I don't know if pellets have a shelf life however I'm pretty sure a year is no big deal stored correctly? So if you keep your eyes on and find the deals you can heat much, much cheaper than most any other method. The only thing better I can see would be wood. That you have ultimate control over but its a lot more work. RT

did J plant you here to trick me into a shelf life to set me up to start dumping some pellets cheap?

After they have expired, You need a special EPA/DEP stamp. Smokey and I have them. We'll gladly remove them and properly dispose them for you for a nominal fee. Fee is wave if you deliver them to the the stash Err a, I mean disposal site! :cheese:

Pellets only last one month after purchase. You better have a fire sale. I think they can last years if stored properly.

oldmountvernon said:
rwthomas1 said:

did J plant you here to trick me into a shelf life to set me up to start dumping some pellets cheap?

J put me up to it, I swear! RT

Status
Not open for further replies.