Pellet Prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DE they are hanging at $279 / ton, I did see some at Sam's Club for $4.88/ bag.

5 tons of pellets - $240 (oob)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected] [?]
Date: 2008-11-23, 6:29PM EST

I had a purchased a pellet stove. Did not like it. Returned stove but now have 5 tons of pellets to sell.( I purchaes a lowes for 237 a ton. plus delivery) Will sell for $240 a ton. You must pick up. Cash only
Please call 934-1153
Chantel
Thanks

Craiglist maine looks like old orchard beach.

4.20 a bag last week here at HD. Plus 65. for delivery of 4 tons. We are done buying for the year unless they go on sale of course... oink,oink

Marth hardwoods are $204.00 per 60 bags at Earth Sense in Dale, WI. $6.00 discount for cash/check.

I agree with comments that retailers will not be lowering their prices anytime soon.....they paid for pellets at "x", and won't drop their price unless forced to, probably at season's end when they have to clear them out. I was at a local Home Depot two days ago, and Stove Chow pellets were flying out the door at $300.00 per ton. I suspect a lot of people who bought stoves during the spring/summer pellet panic want to at least try their stoves out.

We don't have to worry about the price here because we can't even buy them! Nobody in the metro Halifax area has them for sale, and there is a pellet mill 30 minutes outside of the city. Lots of waiting lists though.

Pellets $335 a ton in Johnstown, NY Agway (Upstate), 10 bag max. per week and softwood pellets to boot. What a scam! The greed of the pellet industry will be its demise. It's too bad, you would like do the right thing and support domestic industry, but looks like I'm burning oil.

pelletpoor said:
Pellets $335 a ton in Johnstown, NY Agway (Upstate), 10 bag max. per week and softwood pellets to boot. What a scam! The greed of the pellet industry will be its demise. It's too bad, you would like do the right thing and support domestic industry, but looks like I'm burning oil.

You should try the soft wood before you knock them. my stove loves the soft (dug-fur) pellets

"I agree with comments that retailers will not be lowering their prices anytime soon.....they paid for pellets at “x”, and won’t drop their price unless forced to, probably at season’s end when they have to clear them out."

The big stores like Lowes/HD will start first, because their sales model is based on moving inventory. If you're not moving it, then it's actually costing you money. So after a period of time, they'll flush those pellets out of the system because they could NOW be buying pellets at maybe $220, and selling those for $250 and making money. While the current pellets are sitting there, they're not making money. So I think that eventually, they'll "blink" and move the stock.

On the other hand...one of the "feel good" reasons to burn pellets is supporting your local economy, right?
Whooooooooooooooooooooooops. I was moving a few bags o' heat up from my pile yesterday. Eagle pellets, which I purchased from a garden center in OXford, Ma.

Are they from Mass?...No.
Are they from New Hampshire?...No.
Are they even from New England??? NO.
Are they at least from USA???...NOOO.
Must be Atlantic Canada then, right? NOOOOOOOOOOO.
My pellets are from British Columbia. That's right...the other side of the freakin' continent. About the only two places further away are Alaska and the Yukon Territory.
So not only is Canada the biggest source of foreign oil for the US...they're also importing pellets to us.

So my question is this...(inserting tongue firmly in cheek)...
For you "greenies" out there, if I'm burning pellets to decrease our dependance on "foreign" oil, but I'm buying pellets from the same country that we import most of our oil from, does that still count? ;)

Too funny.

Jim

Lignitecs = $5.25 bag/$262.50 ton

No break on prices in RI/CT/MA....

I bought my first ton of pellets for this season (Green Team --- very good burner in my Quad Castille) at Lowe's the end of August for
just under $300. Went back and got another 15 bags of Lignetics Presto-Log Pellets (lots of clinkers) and 20 bags of Tiny Timbers (another good burner).
As it got real cold last week and I don't see the prices coming down soon, I went back to Lowe's over the weekend where they had a $10 off coupon on all $50 purchases. Bought another seventy bags at a net price of $4.89 each. Sweet. Ford Ranger made three trips. BTW.... two Lowe's stores in Cranston and Warwick had at least 6 tons each, so the supply is catching up to the market here.

Will be visiting in Feb and Mar to score on some marked down pallets for next season.

burn oil.let them keep there pellets

I went to Home Depot in Bellingham, MA, today at lunch and they had several tons of Premium Blazer pellets (www.wowpellets.com). All were stored outside and all were wet. There was a couple open pallets in the garden section and all the bags were damp - even though the bags clearly state 'Store in Dry Location.' Price was the same as everywhere else I've been: $300/ton.

mccabedoug said:
I went to Home Depot in Bellingham, MA, today at lunch and they had several tons of Premium Blazer pellets (www.wowpellets.com). All were stored outside and all were wet. There was a couple open pallets in the garden section and all the bags were damp - even though the bags clearly state 'Store in Dry Location.' Price was the same as everywhere else I've been: $300/ton.

Like i said ;-P

Lobstah said:

And I bet I’m more patient than they are ;*)

Jim

Although I'm fairly new around here, wouldn't the proper term be Pellet Pig-headed???

And if retailers are holding stashes of pellets @ $300 a ton waiting to see what the price of oil does, are they not the ultimate Pellet Pig?

Although I'm fairly new around here, wouldn't the proper term be Pellet Pig-headed???

And if retailers are holding stashes of pellets @ $300 a ton waiting to see what the price of oil does, are they not the ultimate Pellet Pig?[/quote]

Ooh I like that , I thought I was the Ultimate PP. I guess you're correct. The dealers that are still holding out for $300+pellets are the biggest piggies, and they'll be taken to the slaughter house. I feel badly for those of you that rely on propane or electricity as your alternate source of heating. I won't be exasperating your pain since I can buy HHO@ $2.00@gal. Good luck to all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.