Pellet use is way down this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bags

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2014
Kentucky
These warmer temps are great. My stove has been off the last several days and will stay off today also. This fall and heating season has been much better than last year. I have used right at a ton so far and the wife requires the house to be warm.

House stat is still reading 70* and another warmer rainy day today. I'll take it! I just wonder where my pellet usage would be if I had held to my 60* house stat threshold before heat gets kicked on like in the past with the OWB. I'd probably be at a half of a ton of pellets used. Dang stove has made it easy and spoiled the witch Im telling you. And I cave in also because the 40 pounders are convenient, quick, and easy.

I guess the extra $100 worth of pellets has been worth the use thus far but it is setting my heating threshold 10 degrees higher and now she will expect that. Burn'em if ya got'em works great for her..........

I am so enjoying the silence in my living room without the insert running. Heaven.

I've used about half of what I used by this time last year.

Just thought of that this morning. Don't get me wrong, I like burning the stove but the peace and quiet is nice, too.

That's the one thing I really like about the serenity...I actually have to turn the tv down sometimes to make sure the blower is working...it's really quiet...of course I haven't had it up past 3 yet...but its not bad. I am missing my fire in my living room today....but not having to use pellets...good thing

Reactions: rich2500
My tenth bag of this season is now consumed since I opted to heat with pellets overnight last night for some reason ( cause I could I guess).

These warmer temps are great. My stove has been off the last several days and will stay off today also. This fall and heating season has been much better than last year. I have used right at a ton so far and the wife requires the house to be warm.

House stat is still reading 70* and another warmer rainy day today. I'll take it! I just wonder where my pellet usage would be if I had held to my 60* house stat threshold before heat gets kicked on like in the past with the OWB. I'd probably be at a half of a ton of pellets used. Dang stove has made it easy and spoiled the witch Im telling you. And I cave in also because the 40 pounders are convenient, quick, and easy.

I guess the extra $100 worth of pellets has been worth the use thus far but it is setting my heating threshold 10 degrees higher and now she will expect that. Burn'em if ya got'em works great for her..........
You think your witch is spoiled, mine would burn the stove every evening that gets below 60 degrees if I would let her. Yesterday it was plenty warm in the house and of course she was cold and she was standing in front of the stove in her posture she has patented and it wasn't even lit. I said "what are you doing ?" She said. "Oh " not realizing what she was doing and walked off laughing and said "wishing I guess." It was in the 60's outside.

The LPG truck just delivered 72.1 gallons. Last month it delivered 96.3 gallons. So, the 10 bags of pellets I used for the past 30 days and the balmy temps saved me 24.2 gallons of LPG at $2.30 Per gallon for a grand total of $55.66. The cost of the 10 bags $59.80. Sounds about right. In the red for a few bucks, but seemed so much warmer.

I've burned a whole lot more this year, than last.
I'm thinking using pellets for the first time in the house, has a lot to do with that.. ;)

Dan

Reactions: rich2500 and Jake86
Reactions: Cory S and bags
If he wants to get rid of them I think he needs to do a little better on bargain basement pricing.

Agreed, f he doesn't lower his prices that stash he has I'll be with him all winter. I'm noticing some good pricing on pellets from private sellers, less than $4.00 a bag, and I think we'll see more of that in the near future.

Reactions: Jake86
Propane delivered today $1.1695 per gallon, 178 gallons. I have burned half a ton so far this year, it gets harder to light the stove when propane is that cheap.

The misses still fires the XXV, she likes the room with the stove at 75-78 but not as much lately, record high temps here the last two days. A nice break not worrying about snow, price of gas and will I have enough pellets this year.

Last edited:
Heating oil, propane and natural gas at 17 year lows and here I sit with only cordwood, pellets or electricity to heat this barn. :mad:

Last edited:
I not only used less so far this year but my house isnt on lockdown. We didnt close off the rooms we dont use much, and didnt seal off the large dining room and use the eat in kitchen for the winter. *yet*.

so far not bad....

I've used 300% more 40#'s this year than last...but last year I didn't have a pellet stove.

And that's just troubleshooting the machine, trying to get used to it.

Heating oil, propane and natural gas at 17 year lows and here I sit with only cordwood, pellets or electricity to heat this barn. :mad:

Ya roll the dice, ya make your bets...

Sometimes lady luck just altogether ignores you.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Ya roll the dice, ya make your bets...

Sometimes lady luck just altogether ignores you.

For sure. Since our brilliant CEO of our co-op pulled out of the co-op of co-ops because they were depending too much on natural gas and nuke power. And cut contracts with coal generation plants three years ago. <>

For sure. Since our brilliant CEO of our co-op pulled out of the co-op of co-ops because they were depending too much on natural gas and nuke power. And cut contracts with coal generation plants three years ago. <>

And I'm the guy that installs a pellet stove when natural gas prices are at a new low...I know what I'm talking about with lady luck.

Actually the pellet stove will allow us to keep 3 out of 4 rooms on the first floor of the house at a reasonable temperature while keeping the single zone gas fired steam heat 100 year old cast iron radiators 10 room house at a much lower temp. Kids are out of the house (well, unless they're home from college and don't get me going on that - home for a month in the middle of winter and I'm paying how much for dormitories?) but I digress.....

I'm hoping it will save me money, and keep my aging bones in good repair.

Reactions: BrotherBart

I've only burned half a bag this year. I have 1 ton of vermont pellets,1.5 tons of blazers and 1 ton of okanagen sitting in my garage. The price of oil keeps on dropping so i will heat the house with oil this year. This way I can save the pellets for next year and be happy.

Propane delivered today $1.1695 per gallon, 178 gallons. I have burned half a ton so far this year, it gets harder to light the stove when propane is that cheap.

The misses still fires the XXV, she likes the room with the stove at 75-78 but not as much lately, record high temps here the last two days. A nice break not worrying about snow, price of gas and will I have enough pellets this year.

@two dogs I'm paying twice as much for propane than you. What state are you from? Do you own your own tanks? Good luck, you got all of it.

Reactions: twodogs02
@two dogs I'm paying twice as much for propane than you. What state are you from? Do you own your own tanks? Good luck, you got all of it.
You are probably stuck with Amerigas, like we are, at something stupid like $3 and some odd change. SE Ma., for what ever reason, is possibly the highest in the country on propane. Fortunately we don't heat with that though, just hot water and cooking.

Reactions: Jake86
Status
Not open for further replies.