Pros are installing.. What should I watch for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jukeboxfun

Jul 28, 2008
Ephrata, PA
What I mean is, that though an establish pro installer is doing the work of installing a stove and flue, is there anything I should check to make sure they are doing it correctly? For example should there be a damper put in the flue pipe? The stove is a 1.5 cf Craftsbury with the pipe going straight up and out. Thanks for any advice.

moat new stoves do not have a pipe damper and it sounds to me as though you havent contacted your local Code Enforcer huh. You may want to.

Keep an eye on them. My well respected and established installer installed my pipes (in and out) out of plumb. The class A in the attic was less than 2" from a truss. You will look at this stove for a long time so things like a vertical stack are important.

It also looks plain dumb to have a chimney sticking out of your roof that doesn't aim straight for the sky.

Look for dented sections of pipe too. I found that after the install.

Let us know how they attach your pipe to the stove collar. Mine isn't attached and the installer (inspector too) says it doesn't need to be.

Don't depend on the inspector to verify the proper installation.

Make sure all connector pipe sections are screwed together with 3 screws. Make sure all clearances are honored or exceeded. Make sure they use a level to plumb up the pipes. If this is a tall stack make sure it is braced. If it goes through floors, make sure the firestop is in place. If they are boxing in a ceiling support box suggest that they drill and screw it in place. (My guys nailed it and broke the drywall in the ceiling in the process - grr). Make sure it gets inspected and passes before paying the final bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.