Puppies and stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

danham

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2012
Cape Cod, MA
Our 8-week-old black lab puppy is at times fairly berserk. Any ideas, suggestions, or thoughts on preventing an injury to her while burning our Jotul insert? It's been 13 years since we had a tiny puppy and back then no stove, so no firsthand experience. I'm not confident her instincts will keep her away from the hot metal or glass.

Thanks,

-dan

It will learn really fast on its own. You’re more likely to find it curled up near it anyway.
Our boxers have loved it.

Reactions: ozarkoak
Free standing Standing Fireplace screen worked well for our kids. It’s kind of a pain to keep moving but does the job.

Your pooch may be berzerk;lol but she won't be a problem. Like mentioned above. Betcha know where to find her from now on! My experience.

Reactions: Highbeam
I've had no issues with dogs or children and the stove. I'm working off 2 golden retrievers, 1 of which is almost a year old.

Your pup probably has better instincts than she acts like, so I wouldn't worry too much. Mostly just practice training her to be calm around the fire and to know her boundaries. Also make a habit of keeping her bed and toys away from the fire, so she doesn't have specifically interesting things there to get her into trouble. Dogs are eager to please so make it a training opportunity.

My dog likes to lay close to the fire and watch the fire burn, and he is VERY rowdy. But he also has the instincts to stay from getting too close. If a toy gets too close he feels the heat and whines for help instead of just crashing through there to get to it.

Mostly just don't stress about it too much. Take a few simple steps and leave it up to the dog to learn

Reactions: Dix
My golden pup will slowly go up to the woodstove, and look for a small split to turn into toothpics. He really doesn't have any interest in the stove.

If she is a smart pup, it will take none or at most one experience. Two and above will let you know how smart she really isn't. My money says it won't be a problem at all.

My dog is 8 years old and has been around my stove since she was 4 months old. She has never burnt herself on the woodstoves, chimnia, or oven which has food in it when it opens. Their instincts are stronger than you would think. Even if a dog's nose touched the stove and they get burnt I can guarantee you it would never happen again.

Reactions: rottiman
Dogs love stoves, they can lean right up against it.

8858A997-E1C4-4BB6-B0A3-39E90B8FCB03.jpeg

Dogs and kids are the question around the stove. They both just know. When I have a new kid in the house, I bring them close to the stove to feel the heat. They back away when they feel the heat.

Reactions: rottiman
I installed the PE 9/08, brought Murphy home 10/08 @ 8 weeks old. Never a problem. As a matter of fact, he loves that stove.

Well, there was one time when his Uncle Wilbur was visiting for the holidays, and they were rough housing. Murphy's butt ended up against the door glass for about 3 seconds, when it was cruising on an evening load. Such a loud yelp for a little dog . Never happened again ;)

10_06_13.jpg
Murph2.jpg

@Dix ...agreed. We've never had an issue with a pet getting into trouble with the stove...but we do
have to move them off of the chairs closest to the fire so we can sit. LOL

Our 8-week-old black lab puppy is at times fairly berserk. Any ideas, suggestions, or thoughts on preventing an injury to her while burning our Jotul insert? It's been 13 years since we had a tiny puppy and back then no stove, so no firsthand experience. I'm not confident her instincts will keep her away from the hot metal or glass.

Thanks,

-dan

We’ve got 4 small boys and a puppy. This arrangement works for us. I think it’s called a “room divider” on amazon?

A66AF178-15CE-4C19-A7C5-8126B4A0F12F.jpeg

our dogs love the stove. its there favorite thing. I would be more worried about your pup chewing on the wood and possibly swallowing a piece to big and getting obstructed. Puppies like to chew on things.

Funny how much fire is ingrained in K9 DNA. I have a 5 year old belgian malinois who had never seen a fire in his life. The first fire I made and he changed his laying spot to be next to the stove. Im sure its tens of thousands of years of cellular memory back when the first wolf came out of the woods to eat and warm by a humans fire. Weird.

Reactions: Dix
Am I the only one who saw this thread title and thought it was everyone sharing pictures of puppies next too wood stoves?
Oh well. Heres mine anyway 🤷‍♂️27A61047-A616-4093-9C2C-1A3A957AC574.jpeg

Yup no problems with my dogs and stove. They can feel the heat, and don’t want to get burned anymore than you do.

Am I the only one who saw this thread title and thought it was everyone sharing pictures of puppies next too wood stoves?
Oh well. Heres mine anyway 🤷‍♂️View attachment 287815
Nope, not the only one. This was of course prior to reading the good advice here and firing up the stove.

Callie.jpg

My 75lb lab/mutt has her spot about 10” in front of the stove. When the occasional log shifts and makes a bump sound she is instantly freaked out. Jumps up and cowers away. If I didn’t have since s puppy I’d say she was burned in the past! Scary to watch. Your pooches do this?

3CD24430-E628-459A-8665-02C477353BA6.jpeg

My 75lb lab/mutt has her spot about 10” in front of the stove. When the occasional log shifts and makes a bump sound she is instantly freaked out. Jumps up and cowers away. If I didn’t have since s puppy I’d say she was burned in the past! Scary to watch. Your pooches do this?

View attachment 287862
Yep. She is probably just nearly asleep and it startles her. That's how it is with my dog anyway.

I’m wondering how hot a dogs fur can get before they burst into flames. I was reading over 140 degrees on my dogs fur with my IR thermometer while she slept in front of the woodstove the other night. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Fletcher22202