Question about re-lining chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydes2004

Dec 28, 2012
Rhode Island
Hey everybody, my name is Kenny and this is my first post.

I have just purchased my first woodstove. I bought it second hand. it is a Vermont Castings WinterWarmer Large insert. I have an existing masonry fireplace and I would like to re-line my chimney with stainless steel piping.

My WinterWarmer has a 10" oval flue connection on the top. I have read the manual however it is unclear if I need a round or square liner. My current flue size is 12"x12".

My goal is to purchase the 10" oval to 8" round adapter, and 25` of stainless piping with a cap and some sort of flashing so I can seal it off.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kenny
Wood Stove Newbie!

Reactions: raybonz
Welcome to the forum and wood burning Kenny! I will let the experts speak to your liner questions ..

Ray

It sounds like you have a good plan. You will want to go with a round liner. Not only is it way cheaper, it will perform better. Is the insert in good shape? How is the fireback and catalyst?

Also had a quick question regarding the cat. I never burned with a woodstove that had a cat in it. Is it just for epa stuff? Manual says only open the damper to light or to revive the fire.... kinda weird.....

Its in great shape. I have to repaint the trim piece. It came with the cfm liner already, oval piece that's about 6 feet long that you shove up the flue with block off plates. I'd just rather reline.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356791522767.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356791522767.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 186
Also had a quick question regarding the cat. I never burned with a woodstove that had a cat in it. Is it just for epa stuff? Manual says only open the damper to light or to revive the fire.... kinda weird.....
The stove is designed to run with cat, sure it will "work" without it, but not as well. You want to open the bypass damper before you open the door, otherwise smoke will roll out. Leave it open until you have a good fire established, this lets the cat get good and hot before you put it to work.You can reach through the throat in the fireback to check the cat. Be careful it's fragile, but at least you will know if it's intact.

The stove is designed to run with cat, sure it will "work" without it, but not as well. You want to open the bypass damper before you open the door, otherwise smoke will roll out. Leave it open until you have a good fire established, this lets the cat get good and hot before you put it to work.You can reach through the throat in the fireback to check the cat. Be careful it's fragile, but at least you will know if it's intact.
Thanks, reading the manual is great and all, but nothing compares to first hand experience

So for your liner you will want to use round as already mentioned. I am not sure what you have already with that 6' piece, but it's best if you just get a whole new liner from top to bottom. You can get an oval to round adapter, or some of the liners you can just order round (it's cheapest this way) and with your hands make the last foot or so oval. Just make sure the liner you order is able to be rounded with your hands, not all liners can be ovaled by hand.

A standard kit will come with a rain cap, top plate (that holds the liners in place in the chimney) and a stove adapter. Also you should use insulation on the liner. 8" liners are not the cheapest, but shop around I am sure you can find a decent deal online. Some companies are having end of year sales.

So for your liner you will want to use round as already mentioned. I am not sure what you have already with that 6' piece, but it's best if you just get a whole new liner from top to bottom. You can get an oval to round adapter, or some of the liners you can just order round (it's cheapest this way) and with your hands make the last foot or so oval. Just make sure the liner you order is able to be rounded with your hands, not all liners can be ovaled by hand.

A standard kit will come with a rain cap, top plate (that holds the liners in place in the chimney) and a stove adapter. Also you should use insulation on the liner. 8" liners are not the cheapest, but shop around I am sure you can find a decent deal online. Some companies are having end of year sales.
Thanks. I found a ss adaptor that goes from a 10" oval to 8" round. Once that's in' its just slip the 8" round liner and I'm good to go. I will be taking some measurements if the exact length I need sometime later today.

I found a ss adaptor that goes from a 10" oval to 8" round

I am assuming you could skip that adapter and take a round 8" round liner, squish it with your hands to 10" oval, it would then be about 10"x4.5", that would eliminate and extra part and saving some money. That's my $.02. Just a way to save a few bucks.

I am assuming you could skip that adapter and take a round 8" round liner, squish it with your hands to 10" oval, it would then be about 10"x4.5", that would eliminate and extra part and saving some money. That's my $.02. Just a way to save a few bucks.
It would be kinda hard to fasten the flex together. It won't be secure enough. You need to get the adapter.

It would be kinda hard to fasten the flex together. It won't be secure enough

What do you mean? My thought was to use a liner with an appliance connector on the end. Take the liner and appliance connector, already connected to each other, and squish them to oval. Easy.

What do you mean? My thought was to use a liner with an appliance connector on the end. Take the liner and appliance connector, already connected to each other, and squish them to oval. Easy.
Have you ever ovalized an appliance connector? It will crease and bend, not ovalize. Besides I believe the OP was wanting to connect the already existing, oval heavy flex to a new 8" round liner. If the appropriate parts are available, why not use 'em?

thanks everyone for your help. ive been searching online and have found a few decent prices on the setup. i defiantly plan to use the 10"oval to 8" round adapter. i have one more question. this is a cat stove and i am not really familiar with the operation, the manual states thats the damper is used to start, or reignite the fire. does that mean normally operation is to close the damper? i plan on getting as much knowledge and tips before i use this thing. thanks again! kenny

You want to open the bypass damper before you open the door, otherwise smoke will roll out. Leave it open until you have a good fire established, this lets the cat get good and hot before you put it to work.

understood, but with the cat working the damper is closed correct? does that mean it is just burning off the smoke that is created?

Yes, the cat burns the smoke and increases the eff. When the damper is open, it bypasses the cat, allowing it to get hot enough to ignite the smoke. Once the stove is up to temp. close the bypass.

OK so I have come into an issue. I measured my flue size in my masonry fireplace, it is 8x8. The winterwarmer manual states to reline chimney with 8x8. What do you guys suggest? Should I try a 7" round liner or am I out of luck????

I found a 7.5" round liner from chimneylinerdepot.com. I'm going to double check my measurements when I get out of work tomorrow and go from there

Is this an interior or exterior chimney? Has it been clean and inspected? That should be a prerequisite before lining.

it is an exterior chimney. i cleaned it about a month ago and it was inspected last year. after burning wood in the fireplace for 2 years, i decided that i need to get in insert so i can take advantage of my wood supply and heat the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.