Snow and Bone Chilling -4 Deg F Artic Air coming this weekend - Will u need Backup heat? What Kind?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Forcast is - 4 Degrees F for Monday Morning - Will you just heat with Just wood pellets?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Please take the poll up top. Click Cast Your Vote if you have not done so.

I would really like to see how many people can rely on just wood pellets in this situation.

This Monday early morning forecast for sNH is for -4 degrees F !! See chart below.

I have my wood pellet stove in the basement and in this weather I open the door to the garage. So all the pipes will have heat from the wood pellet stove and I do not have to worry about freezing pipes or anything!

Since it will be below zero I will probably need to turn the stove's heat setting up to 5 or 6. 6 is the highest. (About 600 Deg F out of the heat exchanger tubes!)

These high settings will keep the house cozy and absolutely NO NEED for Fossil Fuels or Electric heat!!

Attachments

• 02102012-4DegForcast.jpg
    02102012-4DegForcast.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,015
  • Poll-HeatWholeHouseWithPelletsDownto-4Below.jpg
    Poll-HeatWholeHouseWithPelletsDownto-4Below.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 317
Daughter in the basement needs heat. Stove on first floor. The stove will do the rest of the house. Wish I could shut off the oil monster but it just anit gonna happen.

I can heat all but the master bedroom with pellets... first and second floor. Since the bride is in Florida (and I'm home trying to beat a second bout with pneumonia) I won't have to heat the master bedroom... I'll sleep upstairs right above the stove.

Pellets..... Have yet to use in LP in years.

And will continue to do so. I have close to 200,000 BTU's at the helm (if needed), but never run all at the same time. (Unless I wanted to melt my face off). ;-P

High 28 saturday & 24 on sunday here for south central pa.. I'm planning on strickly wood pellets. Do have propane furnace, if needed I will turn it on. As of right now, the pilot isn't even lite. Other than trying a couple of bags of some Green Supremes, that I picked up at Lowes today, I have Hamer's that will definitly get the place smokin. In middle of cleaning out flue as I speak. Will have her cleaned & ready to go for the cold. This is the 1st I cleaned it this year. Been burning since middle of October when needed, (90 bags later), straight section of pipe that is straight out thru wall, had about 1" of ash/dirt in it. The straight up sections were pretty much clear. Some ash around end of termination hood. Will knock everything out, blow out with high air pressure & reinstall.

krooser said:
I can heat all but the master bedroom with pellets... first and second floor. Since the bride is in Florida (and I'm home trying to beat a second bout with pneumonia) I won't have to heat the master bedroom... I'll sleep upstairs right above the stove.

Good way to tough it out Krooser!
Just think of the imported oil you will save!!

Good luck. :)

I use electric fireplace in my bedroom and have an electrc baseboard in the kids room. The Stove will heat the first floor just fine but on cold nights it needs some help on the second floor.

Depends if it's windy or not. Last time it was 0 out, the stove kept it 70 inside no problem. Not even maxed out, still had 2 more settings higher to go. On the other hand, if the wind kicks up, I'm burning propane. Earlier this winter it was 20 outside, but with 40 mph winds, and the stove couldn't get it higher than 62 inside. Not supposed to get that cold here, but 14 degree with a 25 mph wind might bring out some propane. House is well insulated, but poorly sealed, if that makes sense.

The Dog and I will be burning pellets only on Monday.
Plenty of Okie's and Vermont's on hand.
Unless there is a malfunction.

I started the HHO furnace back in December for about 1/2 hour just to make sure it was still there.
Gives me shivers thinking about the oil coated dollar bills flying up the furnace flue vent. :grrr:

---Nailer---

Don2222 said:
Hello

Please take the poll up top.

I would really like to see how many people can rely on just wood pellets in this situation.

This Monday early morning forecast for sNH is for -4 degrees F !! See chart below.

I have my wood pellet stove in the basement and in this weather I open the door to the garage. So all the pipes will have heat from the wood pellet stove and I do not have to worry about freezing pipes or anything!

Since it will be below zero I will probably need to turn the stove's heat setting up to 5 or 6. 6 is the highest. (About 600 Deg F out of the heat exchanger tubes!)

These high settings will keep the house cozy and absolutely NO NEED for Fossil Fuels or Electric heat!!

My oil heat will stay at 45 where it has been for months. My pellet stove will be at 60 overnight, although I may put it on 5 blower 5 auger. I have an electric fireplace in my bedroom that will stay at 62. Lol...

I think I'll be fine. I may buy an extra bag of pellets this weekend though.

was fine w/ only pellets at -16.
should be fine with anything i can see in the forecast at this point in time.

It should be fine. They are calling for -20 with wind chills tonight. we did that before. will have to plug in the heat tape on the kitchen water pipes. and yes, we had to use heat tape even with the oil furnace or they froze every fricking year.

Not much option here..... we'll be fine w/electric space heaters and insulated window and door spaces. HOWEVER, we look forward to next year when we have a pellet stove!!!!!

bbfarm said:
It should be fine. They are calling for -20 with wind chills tonight. we did that before. will have to plug in the heat tape on the kitchen water pipes. and yes, we had to use heat tape even with the oil furnace or they froze every fricking year.

What about using 1" wall Fiberglass Pipe insulation? It can go over the heat tape as well!! It is the best stuff I have ever used!!

See pic

Attachments

• 230-1inchBoilerPipeInsulationSC.jpg
    230-1inchBoilerPipeInsulationSC.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 842
No propane here. Pellet stove has more then enough output to keep me warm. Have been down to at least -10 so with just pellet stove keeping up.

Been through worse and the pellet stove had no trouble keeping up.

Have plenty of backup if needed.

No guarantees, of course, always the possibility of power outage or mechanical breakdown. I'll do my weekly clean Saturday morning, change program to #2, fillup with softwoods. Sat. night and Sun. night will probably run on manual instead of on the stat. If I need additional, I've got it, not embarrassed to use it.

Don;
Relax I live 5 miles east of you and have a weather station hooked up with the National Weather Service. It wont be any colder than 10 deg. Sunday night In our area so relax stack a few bags of pellets next to the stove and If you have to turn on the oil heat. What Is It going to cost for a few hours of warmth $3.00. Check my SIG and follow the link to get the real weather In our area. You are using channel 9 In Manchester NH and I think those temps are for the White Mountains

oh believe me I have begged for insulation on those pipes for 17 years. they are in the crawl space under most of our house. and I mean crawl. or actually wiggle on your belly. and some parts you can't get to at all because of the heating ducts. I want to say it is about 15" high. the old man refuses to do it. We finally stuck a skinny friend under there last year for the heat tape.

It is about 60' to the pipes.

up until last year we just stacked hay around our kitchen and left the water trickling when it was below zero, then shoved a kerosene turbo heater under there to thaw them out. yeah, I never said he was the brightest.

Pellets will be enough only until the other half sees the thermometer. If I stand guard over the furnace thermostat, she will pug in some of those small electric space heaters. I used to be ok with the furnace back up, but I am so agitated about what is going on with home heating oil, that I don't want to use any oil except for our hot water. Now have it down to about 200 gallons every 15 months.

Only time I use oil is when I'm outta town on business. Pellets all the way this weekend. Got the house at 76*F right now, bring on the Arctic chill.

Will need a small amount of oil heat for 2nd floor.
Majority of heat will be from pellets.
Also, hot water heated with oil.

No choice here. 50 yr old furnace died. Will have both stoves crankin and hope for the best. Not sure high high I can push the Harman. I guess I might find out.

Don2222 said:
krooser said:

Good way to tough it out Krooser!
Just think of the imported oil you will save!!

Good luck. :)

Thanks Don...I managed to drag five bags of pellets into the house tonite... enough to last until I get back on the road...I hope.

My wife is leaving for Hawaii Sunday. I don't get to go. As I've said before, she is warm blooded and insists the house be no warmer than 68 degree. She also says our two Golden Retrievers are hot at 68. Well, we will see about that! I plan on setting the thermostat at 70 and enjoy a warm house. No oil burning planned for me!

Chan

Status
Not open for further replies.