So when have you last seen your oil man?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Monday afternoon My dog is barking and I hear the sound of a backup alarm. Backing up my driveway is an Oil truck. I know I did not order any and I still have ¾ of a full tank.
So what gives? Before the driver goes up back, I get his attention. I asked him what he was doing I did not call for oil. He tells me I'm on automatic delivery, this is my former oil company of a year ago. So I asked him the last time they were here and He says June?

So I had to ask why today isn’t a bit odd you have not contacted be or made any deliveries since June? That’s right June I have used ¼ tank only for tankless hot water.

Everything I hoped my new ( new to me 1999 used two seasons Encore) has delivered.
30 prior years of burning I never achieve this level of success with my two stoves.
My second stove is 20 years old cat intrepid II
So what has changed My wood is seasoned 2 years prior to use. Both stoves are Epa approved. Both are thematically controlled and both are Cat combustor stoves.
Both were totally cleaned and gone over and restored to like new conditions.

I cannot stress how much a stove performance improves when hauled out and blown out with compressed air and shop vac out. I know it is a pita to disconnect drag 400lb beast out and re install them. Single handedly. Mine perform as good as new and I believe this is the major contributing factor

We have a 500 gallon propane tank. It was filled to 80% on November 14th of 2005. We now have 40% and we have a propane furnace, stove, and dryer. We will probably top it off this spring. Its a good feeling. They want us to call when we need it since we burn wood.

No oil here, I've been averaging 20 therms of NG per month so far this winter, and that is just for hot water. It may go up a little due to the furnace kicking on in the mornings during this below zero cold snap. It wouldn't kick on at all if it wasn't for the wife and daughter complaining it's too cold if it drops below 70.

I might add the past 3 weeks I have blown through a full cord of wood feeding these stoves 24/7 My estimate is 4 cords gone this year

All the effort just to see empty pallets. the last 3 weeks has averged 10 degrees colder than normal or more. From no ice on the ponds to 16" and adding. I plan to ice fish on one of the lakes tomorrow. For you golfers I plan to hit 2000 yard drives accrost the lake tomorrow. I have the shag balls inside heated up and Big bertha titiam as well. Miles of black ice to fish and skate

We've been burning wood like crazy, I've been vigilant with my Vigilant (ha ha ha) and getting up at night and filling her up to ensure a good burn throughout the rest of the day. We got filled up in May after last season and we've burned just about a 1/2 tank now. This is only for heat, hot water is electric... house is set at 50 during the day, 62 for 8am, and 60 for 5pm. I just keep the stove going 24/7 and have had great luck keeping the greedy oil suppliers away. :) I'm still waiting for it to warm up a bit to install the EPA Century stove I purchased in early January, I'm hoping to improve the efficiency.

cheers
John

We have a Heat Pump (whoever came up with that name ) and have lived here three years and I don't even know if it works.

elkimmeg said:
I might add the past 3 weeks I have blown through a full cord of wood feeding these stoves 24/7 My estimate is 4 cords gone this year

Elk with the burn times you have been reporting with those VC stoves, somebody has got to be stealing your wood.

mtarbert said:
We have a Heat Pump (whoever came up with that name ) and have lived here three years and I don't even know if it works.

We have a heat pump and have lived here twenty-two years. I don't know what year the heat pump quit. I discovered that it wasn't working four or five years ago.

BrotherBart said:
Elk with the burn times you have been reporting with those VC stoves, somebody has got to be stealing your wood.

I don't know, here in VT it's been BITTER and I've been getting worried about the woodpile! :) It IS like someone is stealing the wood, BUT the oil man hasn't been in my driveway since May. :) I don't know if I've gone through quite a cord in the last 3 weeks but it's probably close! Elk where are you located, sounds like we have the same weather!

cheers
J~

We just got our bill and so far all winter long we've been at 18 therms a month and have gone through a little less than 2 cords, sure beats paying 280 a month and having a chilly house, we keep the place at 77-80 degrees.

I think I've burned about 4 cords so far. Since January 06 I've had 244 gallons of oil delivered and have just about a full tank now. Most of my oil is used to heat the hot water for my teenage boys marathon "water therapy" showers.

Whats an oil man ;)

I will say this, it has been nice with the WINDY COLD weather to take the reins off the Morso and let it run. We have blown through more wood in the last few weeks than the month of December.
We have actually had to keep it going most days with all the wind here.

Everyone I know around here is eating wood up pretty fast. It has been frigid for days now. Im also gonna try ice fishing tommorrow on dads ponds. They were catching crappie and bluegill today. Outta be a good time.

BrotherBart said:
elkimmeg said:

BB I may go to the DPW brush dump and fill up my pickup truck tomorrow .I could find someone's former wood pile dry and seasoned for years, of dead wood seasoned ready
for prime time to be be burnt. I constantly add to piles and move wood between piles. I never have an accurate accounting of wood never eve,r I'm guessing. I would say guessing again ,I burn over 100 lbs a day in the encore and 50 or more in the intrepid. This is the recent cold weather. I could go into the 9000 acres state forest accrost the street and fill my pk truck all day with dead standing oak. There is enough dead oak to supply all of hearth.com of fire wood all in the 4' to 14" range. Have you ever packed a stove using top loading? I believe that give me optium loading capabilities and if I don't like the placement I have tongs to re arrange the placements. My stoves are haulled outside and blown out. I'm anal about squeezing every possible Btu out of my stoves

elkimmeg said:
BrotherBart said:
elkimmeg said:

BB I may go to the DPW brush dump and fill up my pickup truck tomorrow .I could find someone's former wood pile dry and seasoned for years, of dead wood seasoned ready
for prime time to be be burnt. I constantly add to piles and move wood between piles. I never have an accurate accounting of wood never eve,r I'm guessing. I would say guessing again ,I burn over 100 lbs a day in the encore and 50 or more in the intrepid. This is the recent cold weather. I could go into the 9000 acres state forest accrost the street and fill my pk truck all day with dead standing oak. There is enough dead oak to supply all of hearth.com of fire wood all in the 4' to 14" range. Have you ever packed a stove using top loading? I believe that give me optium loading capabilities and if I don't like the placement I have tongs to re arrange the placements. My stoves are haulled outside and blown out. I'm anal about squeezing every possible Btu out of my stoves

I take great pride that I may take my middle finger face to the east and solute OPEC

elkimmeg said:
I could go into the 9000 acres state forest accrost the street and fill my pk truck all day with dead standing oak. There is enough dead oak to supply all of hearth.com of fire wood all in the 4' to 14" range.

I take great pride that I may take my middle finger face to the east and solute OPEC

I called the Cuyahoga Valley Nat'l Park service last year and they told me it was a crime to remove any wood, the lady I talked to sounded like she had a big pole up her . . (you get the pic) . . I drive thru that park every freakin day, it's over 30k acres

. .oh and yeah I second that salutation

Not since OCT 06, still have over a half a tank on (275 gallon tank) Without the stove I would've been using 200 gallons a month. With the stove going 24/7 I'm at about 1 1/2 to 2cords so far. When the oil guy drives buy we wave and he can't figure out why!

My oil guy came yesterday and left whopping 41 gals lol, I have been averaging 0.49 gallons per day for hot water use only I have had all three of my setback thermostasts in the OFF position for the last three years, the oil guy only comes once or twice a year. Now if I could just get my stove to generate electricity I would be all set. Maybe I should build a OWB turbine and generate my own lol.

Oil? Heck Earl hasn't been round here since the mid 80's.

And our propane tank is still on it's 2005 filling.

I need to call the oil man over to fill up the tank. It's now nearing mid February. Last year I was filling up every two months. I'm still running on last years fill, and after the fill I will get next week, I'll be able to survive the remainder of the winter and still have the majority left over for 07/08 winter. Granted my stove is only supplemental heat, but it's still putting a dent in the oil consumption. This is my first year with the stove, so wood was purchased. But I'm slowly finding small piles of wood here and there for free, so next year should show a real savings. Funny how this winter hasn't even ended, and I'm already looking forward to the 07/08 winter.

-Kevin

My LP company made my give up the 500 gallon tank which use to sit im my back yard. And gave me a 100 gallon tank in its place. They say I dont warrent having a tank that size because the contract says I'm suppose to have it filled at least twice/year. I cant blame them, I had them out this fall to top off the 100 gallon tank, it took 40 gallons of LP in the last year, cooking only. I haven't run my LP furnace at all this winter. A matter of fact I have it turned off at the thermostat. Despite the past two weeks of -15 to -30 each night and average daily temps of -5, the house is always near 80 degrees. My new wood furnace is working great, and I am only burning from evening until morning, the insulation and sunshine take care of the heat during the day.

elkimmeg said:

At 160 lbs a day X 31 days is about 5000 lbs of wood @ Oak is about 1.3 cords that at least quality's you to officially solute OPEC . That's what its about in the end and stay warmer doing it.

Gas company still hasn't figured out I don't use gas anymore and still sends "estimated" $400 bills based on the previous owner's gas bill. They burn too.

1st year - Jotul 3CB, poor insulation, all acoustic tile ceilings with nothing above them used ~$175/mo for gas heat
Last year - Oslo F500, good insulation, some acoustic tile ceilings as above, ~$60/month for gas heat
This year - Oslo F500, good insulation, all sheetrock ceilings, $0 for gas heat so far and ~10deg warmer in the house.

For reference my non-heating gas bill is ~$30/mo for hot water and cooking including the 50k Btu nat. gas grill... oak flavored steaks don't sound appetizing. Grill switches to propane whenever someone hands me a 1/2 full propane tank they "can't get rid of" because it doesn't have a OPV valve.

The historical bills for when the house was empty for a year before I bought it showed ~$300/month to keep the place at 55deg.

Mr. Officer, Sir, eh, er, meter man, er what meter man? Er, gas, er what gas? Er, I told them to bury their meter where the sun don't shine.

No, Sir. I didn't say there. So, sir, I never touched him. No, sir you can't come in, it's a comfortable 70* and you'd only chill my comfort.

Hi SGC, we must be close. I also drive through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park regularly. I'm in Bath Township, between Akron and Cleveland.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.