Stainless Steel Liner and Masonry Fireplace Extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowbard_vt

Apr 19, 2015
Killington, VT
I recently rebuilt the chimney from the roof up, I added 7' of height (clay liner, brick exterior) to the original chimney to resolve drafting issues. But, the old chimney had a stainless steel liner in it. What are my options for the remaining stack above the old stainless steel liner? (1) extend the old stainless steel liner (not sure how), (2) replace the stainless steel liner with a new one, or (3) leave the stainless steel liner in place and leave the extension as is (i.e. stainless liner for the first 7' and clay for the next 7').

Any thoughts on how to complete my new chimney are appreciated.

recently rebuilt the chimney from the roof up, I added 7' of height (clay liner, brick exterior) to the original chimney to resolve drafting issues. But, the old chimney had a stainless steel liner in it. What are my options for the remaining stack above the old stainless steel liner? (1) extend the old stainless steel liner (not sure how), (2) replace the stainless steel liner with a new one, or (3) leave the stainless steel liner in place and leave the extension as is (i.e. stainless liner for the first 7' and clay for the next 7').
You should have extended the ss liner when you built the extension. I dont know how you would attach the piece of ss liner now. some pics might help

Is the existing liner in good shape? Do you have any idea who makes it? If the existing liner is in good shape I would call around asking for a coupler and some more pipe. You would have to pull the existing pipe up obviously to connect them.

I would just pull the old liner and replace. Having a joint hidden where I can't see and inspect it would bother my conscience every time I brushed.

I would just pull the old liner and replace. Having a joint hidden where I can't see and inspect it would bother my conscience every time I brushed.
if done right there is no issue with a joint at all. Is this for an open fireplace or for an insert?. If it is an insert then yeah just pull it up and add the extension. An open fireplace it it was done right is not that simple you cant just pull it up because the liner should be attached at the bottom with mortar and a collar. not easy to remove without destroying it

Status
Not open for further replies.