State burning regulations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmboy05

Jan 31, 2014
North Central Iowa
So as I was reading through another post, the question popped into my head regarding state burning regulations. Such as no burn days. Here in Iowa there are non, but my wife and I are looking at some day moving out west to like Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, New Mexico or maybe even Alaska and to somewhere more rural that we'll need to burn wood. So i thought it might be a good idea to have an idea of what the 'hobby' is like in some other states. Any input?

Thank you in advance!

Hehheh . . . hobby . . . here in Maine for most folks it is a way to keep warm in the winter. There are very few regulations regarding burning in terms of the state level (there are some rules for installation and Maine does favor the cleaner burning OWB). Some municipalities have adopted some burning regulations -- many, again, focus on OWBs.

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
I am in Nevada, currently under burn ban due to air quality (enforced by the county). Unless you submit a form showing wood at your sole source of heat it is illegal to burn in this area for at least 3 more hours. We will see what happens tonight.

In Washington there are burn bans for wood heating appliances. There are two stages. In the first stage only certified stoves are allowed to be burned. In the second stage all wood burning must stop. In both stages if the wood burning appliance is the only source of heat then it is allowed to be used provided there is no visible smoke. They are applied at the county level but usually triggered when the city air is bad since the concentration of pollution would be higher there.

Here is the web site for the Puget Sound area of WA. http://www.pscleanair.org/priorities/woodheating/Pages/burnbans.aspx

I would assume that a google search for the interested state and "burn ban" would turn up the state laws.

Mike

In Montana there are no burn bans except possibly in Missoula which suffers from a really bad inversion.

Colorado has a 7 county area around denver where non EPA certified stoves are banned on poor air quality days.

for me at least it is far from a hobby it is about the cheapest way to heat my house. But in pa the only burn regulations i know about are on the municipal level and are typically more about owbs also.

In Washington there are burn bans for wood heating appliances. There are two stages. In the first stage only certified stoves are allowed to be burned. In the second stage all wood burning must stop. In both stages if the wood burning appliance is the only source of heat then it is allowed to be used provided there is no visible smoke. They are applied at the county level but usually triggered when the city air is bad since the concentration of pollution would be higher there.

Here is the web site for the Puget Sound area of WA. http://www.pscleanair.org/priorities/woodheating/Pages/burnbans.aspx

I would assume that a google search for the interested state and "burn ban" would turn up the state laws.

Mike

Actually, you can't even burn it if it is your only source of heat unless you have a previously approved waiver that "may" be approved and "may" be renewed annualy at cost and if progress is made to fix your issue to the agency's satisfaction.

The PScleanair idiots are not a statewide agency, only the counties around the puget sound. So depending on where you choose to live, you may not be subject to their moronic political bias.

Yes, time to get rid of the morons so that we can swim in our swill.

2020139803.jpg

The problem I see around here is the people who start splitting wood when its cold and we have an inversion then put the freshly split wet wood into the fireplace. I see it all the time driving around during a burn ban and there's constant smoke pouring out of chimneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.