Stop me before I do something bad.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
I ordered a 8"x 30' liner kit this week. Bought on ebay. Seller has 100% rating and about 170 ratings. I recieved two boxes today with 2 sections of pipe and what looks like a connector to link them together. I am mad. I emailed the seller before I purchased and asked if this pipe could be ovalized. They assured me that it could. Before I start complaining I am appealing to the brain trust for guidance. When I purchased a 30 foot liner kit, I expected a solid 30 foot run of flex. Never was it mentioned that I would recieve two scraps that I was supposed to put together. Tell me if I am crazy here.

David

DavidV said:
I ordered a 8"x 30' liner kit this week. Bought on ebay. Seller has 0 rating and about 170 ratings. I recieved two boxes today with 2 sections of pipe and what looks like a connector to link them together. I am mad. I emailed the seller before I purchased and asked if this pipe could be ovalized. They assured me that it could. Before I start complaining I am appealing to the brain trust for guidance. When I purchased a 30 foot liner kit, I expected a solid 300 foot run of flex. Never was it mentioned that I would recieve two scraps that I was supposed to put together. Tell me if I am crazy here.

David

You are not crazy. Shove it up his butt. Ovalized!

What is the seller ID?

post the link to his auction so we can read the description If you used a charge card back by paypal contest that transaction with the card company to stop the money transfere first

Well, there are two issues.

if you need to ovalize, will the adapter also do so in the correct way? My guess is that it would only do so for a slight oval.

Also, I guess that 8 inch might be too big to fit in a standard package service box.

I don't think the integrity of the system will be compromised by a correctly fitted and fastened (rivets) adapter.

I do want to give the seller time to correct this issue. here is the text of the description.

title of auction is 8"x 30 ' stainless steel chimney liner kit.

This liner kit includes a chimney cap (which attaches to the top plate by simply turning it) made from 316Ti which also has a screen and wind guard. The top plate that mounts on top of the chimney, Tee and Tee cap that attaches to the liner and your heat source. 8" Liner is made with 316Ti alloy with a strong 7 ply seam and 10 corrugations between seams for superior flexibility. This liner is brand new and retails for $975.00. We also have 5" and 6", and 7" in 20',25',30',and 35'.

I emailed and sked about the kit. asked if it could be ovalized. this is the response I received.

Yes, it can be ovalized if needed. It will not fracture. You can use a pc. of PVC pipe and roll it along the area that you need ovalized.

I asked if it was a forever flex since they are from the area of Pennsylvania where it is manufactured. asked about connecting to insert . recieved this response.

This kit is a TCE. We can substitute the tee for a stove collar. If purchasing please specify that you will need the stove starter kit.

The clay liner of my chimney is approx 6x14 so I need to ovalize it to get it down the chimney....also the auction shows the kit with one large coiled liner, and all connectors.

Ohhhh....it also came in two Forever Flex boxes.......

Hmmm, this is interesting....they said it was TCE, but it came in forever boxes from PA near Forever?

Maybe TCE manufactures Forever Flex?

It is my guess that it would be difficult to hand-ovalize 8" pipe to that degree. Maybe some experts here can clarify, but if I had to ovalize an entire length I would have the factory send it to me that way. Many makers even offer rectangular flex for 8 x 12's,

The description (10 hills) is right from the TCE site....so what the heck is going on? Seems strange that they would have Forever Flex boxes sitting around!

I have done some digging around the net about liners and it appears that some manufacturers and distributors are trying to sell out of every outlet they possibly can....some claim to support only professionals, but then have related or back door operations blowing stuff out the door.

DavidV said:
Ohhhh....it also came in two Forever Flex boxes.......

I PMed you Glen's 800 number to give him an opportunity to explain what the hell is going on.

TCE is canadian...forever flex is from PA........havn't recieved a pm yet...Who's Glenn?

DavidV said:
TCE is canadian...forever flex is from PA........havn't recieved a pm yet...Who's Glenn?

What was the eBay seller ID? If you bought from the ebay seller I think you did, Glen is the guy on the other end of that 800 number that sold you the liner.

Still havn't recieved a resonse from the seller. I think I am developing an attitude problem.

Did you receive my two PM's with their 800 number? If not just look at the web site for Chimney Liner Depot, not Central.

Spoke to vendor by phone. 8 inch pipe is sent in 2 sections (probly something that should be mentioned. and there is a connector. I have a veeling that this is going to be a lot more challenging than I had expected. I am not thrilled. At this point I have 3 choices basicly. I can join, and install what I have....I can purchase another liner from someone else and make sure I get what I expected....unless this is an industry thing that I knew nothing about and I can't see how that is possible. Or I can file a paypal complaint. I would only recover 200 bucks from paypal since I had the cash in my paypal account when I ordered.

DavidV said:
Spoke to vendor by phone. 8 inch pipe is sent in 2 sections (probly something that should be mentioned. and there is a connector. I have a veeling that this is going to be a lot more challenging than I had expected. I am not thrilled. At this point I have 3 choices basicly. I can join, and install what I have....I can purchase another liner from someone else and make sure I get what I expected....unless this is an industry thing that I knew nothing about and I can't see how that is possible. Or I can file a paypal complaint. I would only recover 200 bucks from paypal since I had the cash in my paypal account when I ordered.

Do you still have the boxes that it came in, and is the liner still coiled? If so, why not just tell him you want to return it?

David what is the reason you are lining that chimney? You want to be stopped for doing something bad, then explain the reason you are trying to line that chimney

What we need here is for some people that have purchased 30 foot eight inch liners to tell us if theirs came in two pieces.

And we already know that joining two pieces is done all of the time. Lots of oval sections running through damper frames connected to round in use. The Homesaver manual shows the connector and how to do it.

BB and David an 8" flue in a 7/ 11 flue does not kick in the cross-sectional code That is the reason I want to know why you decided upon a liner on an existing installation.
Is it drafting poorly? or are chimney conditions deterioating?

elkimmeg said:
BB and David an 8" flue in a 7/ 11 flue does not kick in the cross-sectional code That is the reason I want to know why you decided upon a liner on an existing installation.
Is it drafting poorly? or are chimney conditions deterioating?

He said earlier that it was approx. 6 X 14, which sounds like a really weird tile size. Mashing any eight inch liner down to that size is going to be a touchy operation.

DavidV said:
Or I can file a paypal complaint. I would only recover 200 bucks from paypal since I had the cash in my paypal account when I ordered.

Who told you that?
You should be covered by them for the full amount if the deal goes bad.

Sorry. had kid's swim meet and wife dragged me out on the town last night.

I'm lining the chimney because I have always heard it's the proper thing to ...Safest, yada yada. So I've always intended to do it. What I had was simply an insert slammed up to the hearth opening with fiberglass wadding stuffed between hearth and metal surround. It drafts fine. The new version of my stove can be vented with 8 or 6 inch. Mine ....they say is 8 inch only so I'm trying to do the right thing. The pipe is now in my shop, in two straightened sections. I'm going to join them and then ovalize. I ovalized a test section of 3 feet and so far it doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't know how it's supposed to be straight when you get it in the chimney since it seems to wave back and forth even though I've straightened it. Biggest concern is that stupid joining collar. I guess this will be a learning experience. And if I do all this and the damned thing doesn't draft.....then I will probably look at picking up another stove. I still feel like they should have said something about it being shipped in two sections.

If weather allows, I will do it today. It rained last night and I don't fancy the idea of standing on a ladder on top of the roof with 30 feet of lightning rod in my hands.

DavidV said:
I ordered a 8"x 30' liner kit this week. Bought on ebay. Seller has 100% rating and about 170 ratings. I recieved two boxes today with 2 sections of pipe and what looks like a connector to link them together. I am mad. I emailed the seller before I purchased and asked if this pipe could be ovalized. They assured me that it could. Before I start complaining I am appealing to the brain trust for guidance. When I purchased a 30 foot liner kit, I expected a solid 30 foot run of flex. Never was it mentioned that I would recieve two scraps that I was supposed to put together. Tell me if I am crazy here.

David

Dave, I just found this on www.chimneylinerdepot.com's website...

Get your kit OVALIZED,SQUARIZED, OR RECTANGULARIZED. Call 1-800-943-1515 for prices and a shipping quote.

NOTE: The following liner sizes must be shipped in 2 pieces in order to qualify for FREE shipping. A FREE connector is included. 5x50, 5.5x40, 5x45, 7x30, 7x35, 7x40, 7x45, 7x50, 8x25, 8x30, 8x35, 8x40, 8x45, 8x50
If you would like these sizes in one piece, they must be shipped Freight. A flat rate of $100.00 will be added.

Bought it thru Ebay. no mention of the above info. and no link to their website. Like I said. I spoke to the guy and he told me what to do. Ovalizing isn't such a daunting issue.....yet. we will see how it goes.

David, what are the lengths of the two pieces?

they measured out to about 17 feet each. I have the two pieces mated together and ovalized. only cut myself enough to ruin my tshirt. just came back from buying my chimney cleaning stuff to make sure it's good and clean before I install this thing. then I'm gonna try to install this beast. .Hopefully I'll have it set up enough that the next cold night we have, I can fire this mother up.

Status
Not open for further replies.