Stove Pipe - 45 with Window or ? for Cleanout Access

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
Bought a stove and it should arrive end of next week. I already have the flex liner and pieces and need to prepare for the pipe from the stove to the flex adapter. The stove will be installed mostly on the hearth with a portion inside the existing fireplace.

I would like to make soot cleaning easy as possible. Given the limitations of the install having to clear the lintel, a 45 degree elbow with a window would work if the window is in the middle of the 45 degree bend or maybe on the female side, top, of the 45. It cannot be below the 45 bend as this raises the pipe from the 45 to the flex liner and it will not clear the lintel.

Something like this would work but I could not find one in the US.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vitreous-fl...778719?hash=item25726171df:g:dbwAAOxylpNTS~Xy

Another option is to install a short 14"-22" a telescoping pipe after the 45. A telescoping pipe would allow the removal of the 45 from the stove top, gaining access to cleaning the 45 and flex liner. The concern is that the pipe would be partially in the living space and above the block plate inside the chimney area. Given the pipe is partially visible in the living space, would this be acceptable?

The other option is to just install the stove and clean from inside the stove, removing the air tubes and baffle. It seems like the other two options would be easier and less disruptive for cleaning.

btw - I plan in getting a sooteater for cleaning.

Just pull the tubes and baffle it is easy in most stoves. And you will have to anyway to clean off the top of the baffle.