Stoves that are American Made?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noslo65

Jan 2, 2008
Central Illinois
Just wanted to know what stoves are AMERICAN made. Looking at Quadrafire stoves, and wanted to make sure they were not Chinese or anything else for that matter.

It's hard to guarantee that all the parts will be US made with practically anything. But Englander, Lopi, Avalon, US Stoves, Woodstock, Buck , Sedore, etc are amongst the many US stoves.

Edit: I was corrected via a PM. It appears that US Stoves is now selling some Chinese made models. Ironic.

Noslo65 said:
I want an AMERICAN made stove, one that I dont have to question.

Englander stoves are all produced about 6 miles from where i sit (in monroe virginia) they have been since 1975 when the first one was built in a garage a couple miles from here. american steel , cast doors founded here in the usa. only thing i cannot say for sure are the components that fasco uses to assemble some of the blowers. but the stoves themselves are built here. ive been part of making them for almost 15 years, and intend to continue to do so until i retire.

Vermont Castings are Canadian owned, but American made.
Many of the major brands such as Lopi, Avalon, etc. are American made (steel units) - cast is often imported.

Lots of Canadian brands also......c'mon, now- our neighbors to the north don't run sweat shops either.
But I would say Englander and Travis (Lopi Avalon) represent the largest (numbers) producers in the USA.....with Vermont Castings being the largest Cast maker.....and Quad does make most of their steel units 100% in Colville, Washington state.

It's a bit of a topsy turvy world, when the Honda I buy here is 60% American parts and 100% American labor, and when anyone from anywhere can own stock in a company, etc.

I have long ago stopped attempting to "Buy American", although I prefer a product from a country that pays and treats it's workers well. It is a slippery slope (and can become Ash Can material quickly) because, given the choice, would I buy:
1. A wood stove from an American maker that pays $9.50 an hour, has bad benefits and lays off all the workers as soon as it gets slow...
or
2. A wood stove from a European maker than pays the worker enough to raise a family on, provide full health care and guaranteed benefits during layoffs.

These are just examples.....but, I have no more love for a American maker (of anything) that dumps chemicals in the river than I do for a Chinese one.

I guess my point is this - instead of the old "bust the windshield of foreign cars in the parking lot" mentality, a real program of "buy American" would entail some detailed study into how the company treats its employees, it's community and the environment. I might rather help out a starving chinese family than buy some fat cat a new Gulfstream.
(examples are obviously made up! - but companies and business models do differ VASTLY)

Noslo65 said:
But where is QUADRAFIRE made.

Most of their steel stoves are made in Colville, Wa. - They do have other plants that make parts - many around this country, and they do source some castings (as mentioned) in Asia. Still, I think you can say that they are largely American made.

Noslo65 said:
America needs to rely on herself more. Period.

Yeah, I agree. But I am cynical. You can buy from Country Flame and then find out they are 100% financed by Citibank which was just bailed out by the Arabs.

In other words, you can't win (in some cases)....UNLESS you do some very deep research. In fact, then you buy that American stove, and the owner buys a new jet, that plane probably contains a vast number of foreign parts!

If business was like the "old" days with a welding shop down the road making the stoves - it would be a little easier.

Then there is the "intention". Quad is now owned by a pretty big corporation - meaning profits to the shareholders are the #1 goal. If they have to source overseas to make a bigger profit, they will....quite simple.

Oh, and Harman makes a couple woodstoves in Pa......that company is owned by the same Co. that makes Quad. Harman has some nice stuff.

Noslo65 said:
But where is QUADRAFIRE made.

All the Quad wood and pellet products are made in Colville, WA. Most of the Gas stuff is made in Lake City, MN.

You are right. We can not save the world or America. But we all need to start thinking about where this is all heading. We are no longer a country that can truly defend itself, or be a true world power like world war II. We no longer have the manufacturing ability or will.

If you search around you will see many satisfied users on the forums. Do you want to know anything specific? Its will be a quality made stove that will last a long long time. Lifetime warranty on the steel components as well.

Let's save this dialog for the ashcan and get back to the stove.

Noslo65 said:
Go ahead and get back to your stove. But we all need to be more aware of what is going on elsewhere.

i agree with your point nos , all begreen is saying is that topics that do not directly concern stoves and such should be debated out in the "ash can" which is fine , we can debate this side topic in there and not get in the way of the origional poster's topic. he's right , we are getting off base with the origional question.

Did Castiron change his name? ;)

actually censoring would have been shutting down the thread which wasnt done , but asking that we carry on in the ash can (another room in the site) was not an unreasonable request. i dont consider that censoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.