Suggestions to replace the Monster in the Living Room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldhippie

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2011
So it's been mildly cold here the last few days, mid 20s and the Acclaim in the basement wasn't completely heating my 1500sq ft cape. The weatherman made me think it was going to be colder so I got the Monster in the Living Room going.

...anyway, I guess I am into my really dry wood and it got up over 500F on the soapstone top last night and was toasting us out of the upstairs bedroom/loft last night. It's too big to burn clean unless it's in the teens or below with good wood.

I've know it's gotta go since I joined here, and so now I'm looking around. I'm really not looking forward to spending huge bucks, but came across a Woodstock Palladian in CL for $800 here in my neck of the woods. There might be others out there.. or I might even go for new. It's going in the living room, so it would be nice to have a pretty stove, a view of the fire, not get roasted out of the room, and it would be a bonus if there were hot coals in the morning. Like I read in another post, "the telephone is my best friend".

The house is a cape, with the hearth in the center, a open living room/kitchen with cathedral ceiling/loft concept. 2 back home offices (empty nest and kids are grown and gone) with a finished family room insulated with a Resolute Acclaim in it, and it actually goes 24X7 and heats the house just fine for any days above 30'F. 2/6 construction in the outside walls and 2X12 in the roof?

What do you think of this one? Any other ideas/suggestions?

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/hsh/2823958693.html

I can't really tell for sure by the pictures but that stove looks like the older model without the ash pan and andirons. Could be older than 1990? If it is the older model I'd offer $600 and see what happens.

On sale @ $1719 new, I have to agree, though my leaning would be toward a new one.

Agreed. Heck of a sale going on at Woodstock. I'd hate to see you back here it two or three years looking for suggestions to replace the mini-monster in the living room . . . and at this point in the winter, you're just about looking for a solution for next heating season, not this one.

And a newer stove might give you more control in heating. When you've got a sleeping loft, you've got some extra challenges. This CL stove might not give you that fine-tuning ability. It would be a pity to spend the money and energy getting it in and not have the improvement you're hoping for. If it's not too far, you could drive over and take a look, get the serial number off the back, and maybe call Woodstock and see what they can tell you about the stove. (I've been burned more than once in age estimates of whatevers, and have been left chronically suspicious.)

Sometimes you have to pinch bucks, and I get that. Nothing lost by making a call and seeing what they've got. Also agree that if it's that old, you might want to dicker.

Good luck.

Yeah, I'm all for getting a great deal, but I've already got a Monster in the Living Room. I want it OUT and a nice really pretty something.. Oslo, or a T5 or a nice Woodstock.. The Woodstocks are a easy drive for me to the factory. ...I got to get up there.

But yeah, I'm not worrying this heating season, I'm just trying to leverage the timing for the best deal.

I think his price is a bit high and I too would lean towards the new one. However, I still think the Fireview is the prettiest stove out there. It is bigger than what you are looking at but even if you have this thing cranking out maximum heat it won't be a harsh heat. In addition, don't forget the Woodstock guarantee. Great that you are close to the factory. I say go and look and ask lots of questions while you are there.

Backwoods Savage said:
I think his price is a bit high and I too would lean towards the new one. However, I still think the Fireview is the prettiest stove out there. It is bigger than what you are looking at but even if you have this thing cranking out maximum heat it won't be a harsh heat. In addition, don't forget the Woodstock guarantee. Great that you are close to the factory. I say go and look and ask lots of questions while you are there.

I like getting up there to Lebanon NH, I got some good friends at the 4Aces Diner and Granite State Harley Davidson too.

28090009.jpg

I'll have to check out the 4 aces the next time we're out that way.

Backwoods Savage said:
I'll have to check out the 4 aces the next time we're out that way.

Best cheeseburger in NH. If you are heading west on Rt 4, it's just before the bridge crossing over into White River Junction VT. Rt 91 is right there as well. If you stay on Rt 4 and head into VT you cross the Quechee Gorge and then into Woodstock Vermont. Very beautiful area.

Fabulous Motorcycle roads up there.. or even in a car towing a Soapstone stove home on my motorcycle trailer :)

large.jpg

Thanks Steve. I thought about those roads in Vermont and riding a bike. Looks like fun; motor or no motor.

That stove has been up on CL for several weeks now. Could probably be had for a bit less. I'd probably put the dough towards a newer one. There may be a few people trading in their Fireviews or selling them if they buy the new Progress. That one on CL may take a bit of time and money to get it to where it needs to be.

When we bought our Woodstock Fireview we stayed a couple nights at the Queeche Inn. Very nice up there. You will be very happy with whatever stove you buy from Woodstock.

fishingpol said:
That stove has been up on CL for several weeks now. Could probably be had for a bit less. I'd probably put the dough towards a newer one. There may be a few people trading in their Fireviews or selling them if they buy the new Progress. That one on CL may take a bit of time and money to get it to where it needs to be.

Yeah, you're right..

It amazes me how many people have old iron they are asking a bundle for. I guess they're going for that "there's a sucker born every second" market.

Something else to consider, Every Spring Woodstock has a refurbish stove sale from people that decided to return their stoves. I'm thinking this Spring they should have a larger than normal stock of trade ins because people are upgrading to the new PH. Could be a great sale coming up on refurb Woodstock's.

Todd said:
Something else to consider, Every Spring Woodstock has a refurbish stove sale from people that decided to return their stoves. I'm thinking this Spring they should have a larger than normal stock of trade ins because people are upgrading to the new PH. Could be a great sale coming up on refurb Woodstock's.

EXCELLENT thought!!!

I am going to call them and ask about it. I've been wondering where all the stoves from PH upgrades have gone. I'm pretty convinced on the Fireview at this time as I warm up to it's design.. although the Keystone is also a possibility, but I haven't seen one in person and don't know if it might be too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.