The Brown Englander 30 Burns again! (more pictures added)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
After 5 months of heavy remodeling, my fireplace and hearth for my Brown Englander 30 is complete and online.

Face lift :cheese:

Before
30ll2dk.jpg

ifbhjm.jpg

After
24ux8a8.jpg

97uvxh.jpg

Other side the BK King hearth
znvimb.jpg

Brown? What kind of nut would paint a 30-NC brown? :lol:

That sucker looks sweet. It is gonna kick that Blaze King's butt.

brokeburner said:
whats that on the side a indoor wood grill

Yes Sir, Wood or charcoal.

Or as I refer to it "The Heating Command Center". ;-P

BrotherBart said:

I know right.....Brown? %-P

Nice size splits. I don't think I see any under 6 inches...

karri0n said:
Nice size splits. I don't think I see any under 6 inches...

I gather you looked at the picture of my dog & saw the wood pile?

Good eye.......My average splits are 6x7 & 7x8 with 18 months cut/split/stacked

Cheers,Hiram

Hiram Maxim said:

No... I'm no Sherlock, but I can sure spot a wood ring next to the stove ;-P

karri0n said:
Hiram Maxim said:

:shut: Doh!

BrotherBart said:

AARRRrrrrr you Ready to RUMBLLLLLLE? Its the smack down contest of the year. In the left corner we have the KING in the right corner we have the 30. No hits below the belt, when you here the bell go to your respective corner. Keep this clean - lets have a good show and may the best stove win.

Hiram - you just GOTTA report back on this. :coolsmile:

I think it comes down to a matter of BurnTime vs. FaceMeltery. Considering a hotter room cools faster than a cooler room.....

Lookin' good!

Ray

Thanks for all the kind words! :)

Jags said:
BrotherBart said:

AARRRrrrrr you Ready to RUMBLLLLLLE? Its the smack down contest of the year. In the left corner we have the KING in the right corner we have the 30. No hits below the belt, when you here the bell go to your respective corner. Keep this clean - lets have a good show and may the best stove win.

Hiram - you just GOTTA report back on this. :coolsmile:

The Vegas line is in. Above freezing daily high/low winds, BK by a wide margin...below freezing dead heat.

That's a veritable fire temple Hiram. How large a room is this that it gets one stove per side? Or is the BK just for shoulder season burning?

After thinking this through, I don't believe the house stands a chance.
I REALLY want to see pics of these in action, and the spectators sweating their butts off.
Hiram, how big is that house, anyway. Is there no insulation? You alone will be responsible for the deforestation(sp?) of Michigan.

karri0n said:
Hiram Maxim said:

You sir are an observant genius! lol I too have one of those 42" wood hoops and love it! Right now it is fully loaded with seasoned oak and lasts for a few days once it is loaded up.. I like the fact that it is made in the USA too when I have seen so many companies stop manufacturing here.. My next stove will be American made for sure.. When I bought this one it the label said it could be made in several countries however it was made in Taiwan.. I can't complain as it has lasted a very long time however next time it WILL be made in USA! I love the soapstones but they are radiant only unfortunately so I may get an Englander or Summers Heat (same company) as they seem to be a relative bargain but I want one that will not need parts very often.. These newer stoves seem to need lots of parts for upkeep so I am not sure what I will do just yet.. Boy I went off on a tangent here lol oops sorry...

Ray

BeGreen said:
That's a veritable fire temple Hiram. How large a room is this that it gets one stove per side? Or is the BK just for shoulder season burning?

BeGreen,

The Fireplace and stoves are in the largest & most central rooms in the home.

The two rooms are approximately 600 sq-ft

I will be running the BK most of the time.

I grew up with depression era Grandparents. I cannot begin to tell you the countless hours of conversation about keeping warm.

I'm all about being prepared and absolute overkill. ;-)

<span class="spellchecked_word"><span class="spellchecked_word"><span class="spellchecked_word">PapaDave<!--<span class="spellchecked_word"-->span><!--<span class="spellchecked_word"-->span><!--<span class="spellchecked_word"-->span> said:
After thinking this through, I don't believe the house stands a chance.
I REALLY want to see pics of these in action, and the spectators sweating their butts off.
Hiram, how big is that house, anyway. Is there no insulation? You alone will be responsible for the deforestation(sp?) of Michigan.

Papa Dave,

The home is 2120 sq ft. I'm on the South shore of a very windy lake.

After the brutal cold of last Winter I made the decision to tighten up the house and make my future bill less of a burden.

I just spent the last 5-6 months performing improvements. :cheese:
Did just about everything myself...saved big $$ and will get the full $1500 tax credit back.

The home is much much more efficient now. Wood consumption should be brought down considerably, the house is quiet and a consistent comfortable temp.

insulation in 8" thick exterior walls in the main room R 30, ceiling blown in to R-50 ,new double Paine Low-E Windows and insulated front door, interior walls insulated with R-13, R-15 and R21. New drywall .625" thick. Ran CAT 6 wire through the house for a home media network, new lighting in the main rooms.

here is a link to the project.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/39209/P15/

Updated with flooring going in......... :cheese:

nld3ih.jpg

50jgwp.jpg

2ugcpyu.jpg

The floors came out really nice. Looks like you will be able to bowl neked in there once those beasts get fired up. One question, where's the wood conveyor?

Your place looks fantastic! Plus you've got your own battle of the Titans going. The light walls make it look so much more open and the floors look great! Awesome job. So which one takes the cake the BK or NC 30? My guess would be the BK for sure but I've only red the stats, never burned either. How long do those BKs really throw heat on one load?

VCBurner, I will bet that you asked that on purpose, just to start stuff.

Everybody knows that the BK is the finest, most efficient, heaviest duty, longest lasting, hottest burning and most easily maintained method of liberating the sunshine stored in wood splits that has ever graced our planet. Everything is burned completely, although it takes days to do it, and ashes have to be carried out only once or twice a season even when running full time. The BK is so efficient that even in the U.P. of Michigan, only half a cord of green willow is required to maintain the inside of a huge house at sauna like temperatures all winter long, and that is with the air flow turned to the lowest position.

Or so I have read right here on this forum. I am consumed with jealousy every time a BK thread starts and yet, I cannot avoid reading them like a moth drawn in that deadly spiral to the candle's flaming hell. Had I but known of the superior qualities of a Blaze King, I could have saved thousands of dollars over the expensive pile of rocks that I currently kindle fires in, and I would still be using the half cord of wood that was in the shed when I purchased the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.