1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The Cape Cod is here

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by charger4406, Dec 4, 2012.

1. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...

You CAN go back & edit your post. Click the little edit button & voila!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HomeBruin

HomeBruin New Member

Loc:
    Califon, NJ
    Hahahh! It's very special, made in Sweden. Awesome stove man. Looks/sounds like a real powerhouse. Good looking too!
    charger4406 likes this.
  3. charger4406

charger4406 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    southern Quebec
    Done :)
  4. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Good job Lopi and nice choice charger. Thanks for the great photos. Nice big cat that is visible for your enjoyment.

Note the EPA lists this stove as a catalytic when it is obviously a hybrid. Is it easy to load e/w with those andirons in the way?
  5. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    They aren't very tall so I don't imagine it's a problem...
  6. charger4406

charger4406 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    southern Quebec
    thanks, and yes it is really easy to load as the andirons are only 4 1/4" high.
  7. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    Very nice looking stove. Went to my dealers today to pick up some roll pins for my liberty, and was hoping to see a cape cod but they didn't have any in stock. I would really like to see one burning but that will never happen because they love the liberty and that is the only thing they use to heat there showroom. I think on these hybrid stove you should be able to shut down the secondary air completely and just burn the cat when you want to.
  8. Elle

Elle Member

Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    do you still like it ;)
  9. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Nice! I had looked at the early literature on these when shopping for stoves, being an attractive cast iron front-loader with a cat (all my criteria), and am glad to see someone using theirs already. It certainly is a beauty. If she's at all more reliable than the VC 2-in-1's, then we may have a real winner here!
  10. charger4406

charger4406 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    southern Quebec
    I love it,and i've had no problems so far.
  11. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Awesome.... nice to see it burning with some repectable burn times. That was a stove on my short list as well.
  12. trguitar

trguitar Member

Loc:
    Stow, MA
    I would love to see some more detailed write ups about your experience as you go.

You are heating 2900 sf? Are you heating the whole house? What is your house layout like? Temps in the rooms, and floors?

How long are your burns? Stove top temps? Can you get low burns just using the cat?

We'll be moving in the next year or so, and this and the Progress Hybrid are on the short list. I'm very interested to see how the two compare.
  13. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Can this stove run in a low smoulder cat only mode or do the secondaries kick in most of the time?
  14. charger4406

charger4406 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    southern Quebec

Yes i can run on low with no flames in the firebox,only a glowing cat,but the results are not as long a burn as with the blaze king,
    I have gotten 15 hrs on poplar but the house needs more heat then it was getting with the low's below 12::F during
    the night,will try with better wood in a few days.

Yes with one stove from mid nov to mid april,house 2200 sf with an 700sf 1875 addition,6 rooms on main floor,
    9 rooms on second floor,kitchen is furthest from stove,temps at 9pm was 88 living room,76 kitchen,coolest room upstairs 79,
    warmest 84, at 5 am living room was 83,kitchen 69,upstairs 75.
    8pm stove top was 370 with the fan on but lots of air movement which is what heats the kitchen,air about 1/6 open.
    Cannot use stove top temp in morning for comparison as the fan really cools the top down,but I checked the temp
    just above the door and it was 230,again it may be affected by the fan.
    This was nearly 11 hrs into the burn and the low was 9::F with no wind.
    Take into account that at that temp i needed to burn a little hotter,I can set the stove to burn longer
    in warmer weather. I will try some black birch and oak tonight.
    Oh and the floors this morning were 74 living room,59 kitchen,82 upstairs
    no heat in the cellar makes for some cold floors!
    watch the video towards the end to see the effect of the fan.
    raybonz likes this.
  15. Elle

Elle Member

Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    just checking in
  16. charly

charly Guest

How do you get to the cats to clean or replace them?
  17. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It sure is a good looker. I noted in the video, the top down instructions are not top-down lighting at all. They are conventional lincoln log style fire building. The Cape Cod reminds me of the cast iron equivalent of the PH, though the PH has some advantages with the cooktop and what seems to be a better ability to keep the glass clean on low burn. Including a moisture meter with the stove is a nice touch. Looks like Lopi has another winner here. Wonder if we can talk them into doing one in blue-black enamel?
    raybonz likes this.
  18. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    I looked at the cape cod when shopping, looks like a great stove...
  19. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Same here... but their delivery date was way after my planned install date. Funny how plans can change, eh?

Prolly wouldn't have bought it, anyway. Always best to let others test out a new model for a year or three, as most of these manufacturers make some pretty significant improvements to the design in the first few years. This technology is totally new to Lopi, they didn't have any proven previous model upon which to base the design.
  20. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    True, in part. The cat that Lopi used is the same one that the FireplaceX uses, and all there other stoves utilize the secondary air tubes. They just combined the two, what could go wrong, right? _g I hope that it doesn't have any problems, we'll see. Everything is well built, the baffle, tubes and cat come out very easy for maintenance or replacement. I was impressed with it.
  21. Kristine Patti

Kristine Patti New Member

Loc:
    Newbury, MA
    How is that Cape Codder burning? Are you still happy with it? How about an update! How quiet is the blower?
  22. charly

charly Guest

Looks to be a nice stove,,, it caught my eye;) I have a Lopi dealer near by....9 miles away
  23. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Ooooo, that would take the already-great looks up another notch! :cool:
  24. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

I stopped at our local Lopi dealer today (picked some pellets up) the Lopi rep from Buffalo was in the shop with a new Cape Cod, great looking stove.

I told them about you getting the new Cape Cod, he said you can get 14-18 hour burn times out of that beast.
  25. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

It's a very impressive stove, I saw it today in our local Lopi Dealer (not hooked up) wish I had some extra cash.