The Monolith has arrived.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One advantage a 30 would have in that shop would be a blower. Roll it up to seven or eight hundred with the blower going and you will be warm while you are working.

It is very much on the top of my mind. Been cruzing craiglist for several months. Not a single one has shown up.

It is very much on the top of my mind. Been cruzing craiglist for several months. Not a single one has shown up.

It's kind of pointless going the used option with the Englanders. First off, the 30 and the 13 are hard to come across and then the ones I did find were still being listed in the $600-800 range. During the right time of year, you can get a new 30 for $650. Delivered to your front door.

It's kind of pointless going the used option with the Englanders. First off, the 30 and the 13 are hard to come across and then the ones I did find were still being listed in the $600-800 range. During the right time of year, you can get a new 30 for $650. Delivered to your front door.

Yep, I wished I caught it earlier in the year. I would be testing my theory this winter.

Yep, I wished I caught it earlier in the year. I would be testing my theory this winter.

The price dips back down around March and goes through the beginning of July. I missed the $650 price by two weeks.

You can still get it for $899 right now.

I am in no hurry. The wood sucking beast can pull the load until the time comes. Heck, the reality is that I go through probably less than a cord per winter in the shop, so it really isn't a huge deal to begin with.

I am in no hurry. The wood sucking beast can pull the load until the time comes. Heck, the reality is that I go through probably less than a cord per winter in the shop, so it really isn't a huge deal to begin with.

Oh, well, to put it in perspective. The guy next door goes through 6-8 cords a winter with his + 3-4 cords for his Fireview.

Is the ash pan useless on the 30? That plug sure seems like a half thought out idea.

And right there you see why I don't cook on my wood stove.

5Ne5O05K23Kd3I13Jdc7pafb839501e1a1fda.jpg

Exactly. I have three of these things that need to stay in good shape so they don't look like hell. Cooking is just asking for a mess that won't clean up.

5Ne5O05K23Kd3I13Jdc7pafb839501e1a1fda.jpg
It's about an hour drive from me. Hard to tell how deep those rust pits are. $200.00 and I might make the drive. Rough.

Congrats on the new stove. It will be interesting to hear how this all pans out this year. I never see any good deals on the 30 around here. The only Place that sells them here is Farm & Fleet and they are always over $1k. Cheaper to just buy one on line.

Congrats on the new stove. It will be interesting to hear how this all pans out this year. I never see any good deals on the 30 around here. The only Place that sells them here is Farm & Fleet and they are always over $1k. Cheaper to just buy one on line.

Oddly enough, I've never seen one in person up until about 8 hours ago. Home Depot usually has the 13 and a pellet stove and the occasional furnace add-on on the floor and that's it.

Hope you wind up as happy as I've been BBar.

You certainly have played around with enough stoves, it'll be interesting to see what you think and how it compares.

pen

The price dips back down around March and goes through the beginning of July. I missed the $650 price by two weeks.

Where???? Inquiring minds wanna know?

Oh, and congrats on the 30... hope it helps you out big time!!

If my layout was different, I'd be all over that.

And the 30 is inside the house. One of the easier stoves I've moved. Probably because of the pedestal.

Where???? Inquiring minds wanna know?

A few Home Depot's have listed them online for that the last couple of Springs. Not believing they will keep doing it is why I put that spare in the basement this year. Needing another wood stove as bad as I do. :rolleyes:

And the 30 is inside the house. One of the easier stoves I've moved. Probably because of the pedestal.

The journey continues. Yeah I moved the second one into the basement with the ped still on and that helped. Bent a corner of the ped and it became the first wood stove I have repaired with a hammer.

I think I need to go down there and take a pic. The 30-NC is sitting about three or four feet in front of and facing the 25-PDVC pellet puppy that is still installed.

Maybe a caption something like "Let's rumble lil feller.".

Reactions: DexterDay
The journey continues. Yeah I moved the second one into the basement with the ped still on and that helped. Bent a corner of the ped and it became the first wood stove I have repaired with a hammer.
This was the first stove I moved that I wasn't concerned with something cracking on it. Kind of nice.

This was the first stove I moved that I wasn't concerned with something cracking on it. Kind of nice.

Can't remember. Have I ever said that big honkin steel stoves rule?

Is the ash pan useless on the 30? That plug sure seems like a half thought out idea.

1st off, Congrats on getting the 30.... Bout time ;)

The ash pan os useless IMHO. There are a few of us that have put a piece of Firebrick there. If you remove the smaller piece in the back of the plug, a full brick can fit (it should? I didnt even think about it, until I cut the one I had :()

The one question I have for you, is did it come with the blower in the picture you posted? ? The one on the box? I just got my blower a couple weeks ago and it isnt anything like that one. Mine is a giant rectangle and has 2 squirrel cages on each side of the motor (center). Almost looks exactly like the Convection blower on my Quadrafire.

Congrats again.. That shirt looks good on you :)

Very cool, B'BAR! Like others said, it will be interesting to see what you think of this stove, since you have so much experience with many different stoves.

Jags, my situation is like yours. A big shop that I use inconsistently. How do you ward off condensation and rust, if you're temperature-cycling that shop? I find the only way is to keep some heat on 24/7, however low it's set.

And, after a good deal of cursing, the Vigilant is outside waiting for the scrap metal guy to come pick it up. Hopefully this is the last time I am hauling in or out a stove for a good long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.